Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Free agents for 09??

Re: Free agents for 09??

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    How about signing Orlando Hudson to play 2B and move Phillips to ss?
    Can't believe that none of you like that 2B on FA list, what am I missing?

It seems to me that he would make the Reds pitching even better.

I think that he would push Phillips to be even better, and that Phillips could play short better than Keppinger or the aging Gonzalez. Though RF, LF, and 3B are the Reds biggest fielding problem areas according to the split stats at ESPN. I just don't think that the Reds would lose anything by moving Encarcion to 1B, Keppinger to 3B, and Votto to LF. Leaving Jay Bruce for RF or CF and finding the upgrade replacement in the other open position.

"if" Griffey and Dunn left the team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Encarnacion at 1B, Keppinger at 3B, and Votto in LF would be a very weak offense IMO. (Basically moving Keppinger from SS to LF in the current offense. Where is the offense upgraded in that?)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Encarnacion at 1B, Keppinger at 3B, and Votto in LF would be a very weak offense IMO. (Basically moving Keppinger from SS to LF in the current offense. Where is the offense upgraded in that?)
    By upgrading the defense to improve the pitching to have an effect on the offense or RS vs RA. Of course we are hoping that Walt Jocketty improves some of the other pieces on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    By upgrading the defense to improve the pitching to have an effect on the offense or RS vs RA. Of course we are hoping that Walt Jocketty improves some of the other pieces on the roster.
    Yes, but the offense is very bad now. No amount of defense will make up for making it even worse...

Yes, but the offense is very bad now.
    As of today:

Keppinger OPS .754
    Dunn OPS .753

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    As of today:

Keppinger OPS .754
    Dunn OPS .753
    Keppinger would still be in the lineup; AGon or the likes would be taking Dunn's spot...

If we're going to drop a ton of cash, how about Furcal for SS and leave Phillips at 2b?

That would help our offense and defense. I know it would be expensive, but it would be a lot less risker than CC.

I think the Reds have no choice but to resign Dunn. I hope he wants to say.

Then the Reds have to decide to bring back Jr one more year and put Bruce in CF, or let Jr walk at resign themselves to another year of Freel or bottom feed for a CF. Or I guess moving EdE to the OF is also an option.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    If we're going to drop a ton of cash, how about Furcal for SS and leave Phillips at 2b?

That would help our offense and defense. I know it would be expensive, but it would be a lot less risker than CC.

I think the Reds have no choice but to resign Dunn. I hope he wants to say.

Then the Reds have to decide to bring back Jr one more year and put Bruce in CF, or let Jr walk at resign themselves to another year of Freel or bottom feed for a CF. Or I guess moving EdE to the OF is also an option.
    The way I see it, if the Reds let Dunn walk they should sign Furcal or Teixeira. The pitching staff is already set for the forseeable future. We need bats. Do what it takes.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    The way I see it, if the Reds let Dunn walk they should sign Furcal or Teixeira. The pitching staff is already set for the forseeable future. We need bats. Do what it takes.
    Furcal & Teixeira are clearly the best position players on the list.
    Hudson is good.
    Dunn and Burrell are really DHs.
    Everyone else is a complimentary player.

Instead of targeting FAs, I'd be targeting arb-eligibles from small market teams or teams with bloated payrolls.

And personally, I'd stay away from Furcal.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Instead of targeting FAs, I'd be targeting arb-eligibles from small market teams or teams with bloated payrolls.

I'd rather have Escobar, but that ship has sailed. Maybe Krivsky's worst (non-)move ever. Although I can't say I disagreed at the time.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Yeah, teams overbid to gain a little more offense from a defensive position.

Keppinger would still be in the lineup; AGon or the likes would be taking Dunn's spot...
    True. But Votto and EdE are on the upside of their offensive arc. Bruce could probably fill Jr. shoe's right away and you add more offense in center - a current black hole.

Turn Off Ads?