Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Is it just me, or did Freedom Hall just get a lot classier?

2. Turn Off Ads?

It will be really weird to walk into Freedom Hall and see a UK floor with lots of blue on it.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Big day for UofL. Could be a great day or a bad day, but I bet Card fans are on the edge of their seats, awaiting the 5:00 announcements of three very high rated recruits - two of whom have UofL in their final group of schools. Good luck, Card fans. Our rivalry is at it's best when both teams are at full strength.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I was them. Neither one is going to UofL.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Big day for UofL. Could be a great day or a bad day, but I bet Card fans are on the edge of their seats, awaiting the 5:00 announcements of three very high rated recruits - two of whom have UofL in their final group of schools. Good luck, Card fans. Our rivalry is at it's best when both teams are at full strength.
    They're going to Baylor. I don't know of any realistic UofL fan that thinks anything else. Rumor, is that Pitino backed off on Miller after Clifton (?) was pushing hard for him to attend Baylor.

Louisville should still have a top five class, even without Miller and Bello.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    They're going to Baylor. I don't know of any realistic UofL fan that thinks anything else. Rumor, is that Pitino backed off on Miller after Clifton (?) was pushing hard for him to attend Baylor.

Louisville should still have a top five class, even without Miller and Bello.
    Closer to top 10, IMO. Still a far, far cry away from what UL fans were expecting and Ricky P promised.

SHOULD be a top 10 class, that is, unless Blackshear decommits and Chane is unable to qualify which are the rumors circulating now.
    Last edited by WMR; 10-21-2010 at 07:56 PM.

I know we've got some people willing and ready to handicap the SEC. How do you see things shaking out in the East and West?

I have seen UK picked all the way from first to fourth (Tipton LOL) in the East. I personally believe we can win the East with or without Kanter but Georgia, UT, and Florida are all going to be good.

Florida is getting LOTS of pre-season love. I think they will be good but not as good as people are predicting. The maturation of their point guard Boynton is probably the biggest key. The freshman big Patric is a beast.

State with Bost and a finally eligible Sidney should win the West.
    Last edited by WMR; 10-26-2010 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I know we've got some people willing and ready to handicap the SEC. How do you see things shaking out in the East and West?

I have seen UK picked all the way from first to fourth (Tipton LOL) in the East. I personally believe we can win the East with or without Kanter but Georgia, UT, and Florida are all going to be good.

Florida is getting LOTS of pre-season love. I think they will be good but not as good as people are predicting. The maturation of their point guard Boynton is probably the biggest key. The freshman big Patric is a beast.

State with Bost and a finally eligible Sidney should win the West.
    Florida is overhyped in the worst possible way. I'm not looking forward to playing them in the O Dome this year, but I wouldn't be shocked if they fell off a cliff before that. Billy Donovan has taken similar quality teams the past couple of years to the NIT.

Tennessee worries me, especially if Tobias Harris matures quickly. If Hopson elevates his game, those two could be a nice 1-2 punch.

With Kanter, we win the East. Without, its anybodys guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Dieng of Louisville one his appeal and is now eligible. His 31 ACT and ability to speak 5 languages over came him missing a grade 10 course missing from core courses..
    Last edited by Topcat; 10-26-2010 at 06:03 PM.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Dieng of Louisville one his appeal and is now eligible. His 31 ACT and ability to speak 5 languages over came him missing a grade 10 course missing from core courses..
    How dare the NCAA show common sense in greenlighting a student-athlete! Next thing you know, they'll be able to do this without having to go through an appeals process! Ridiculous, I say!

Make all prospective student-athletes wait a minimum of 25 years before granting eligibility, then the professional leagues won't want them. Ipso facto, college ball becomes a truly amateur league again. (On the plus side, I may, by then, be able to play!)

After having seen the Blue/White game, anyone want to make a bet that Brandon Knight scores more points per game this season than John Wall last? And that he has less turnovers and more rebounds?

No, Knight is not the athlete that Wall was, but I think he might be a better college player. 39 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, and only two turnovers in 40 minutes (on 60% shooting) is pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    After having seen the Blue/White game, anyone want to make a bet that Brandon Knight scores more points per game this season than John Wall last? And that he has less turnovers and more rebounds?

No, Knight is not the athlete that Wall was, but I think he might be a better college player. 39 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, and only two turnovers in 40 minutes (on 60% shooting) is pretty darn good.
    Knight will score much more than Wall did. He can shoot better and he doesn't have as many scoring options surrounding him either. Also by the looks of it he will not turn the ball over as much. Saying all that I don't think he has the "it" factor that Wall did. Wall just always seemed to have that flair that most players don't have. I do think Knight will have some really big scoring games this season. It wouldn't surprise me if he has 40+ point game or two or even threaten the Meeks record one night.
    You could see right away in the Blue/White game that this team isn't nearly as talented as last years. Very good talent but not off the charts like last season. Hopefully not many people will be expecting another 35-3 record this season. They are going to struggle early,IMO and depending on how the Kanter situation turns out it's just hard to tell how well this team will do.
    Terrence Jones did look very good. He has a lot different offensive options. If he will take it to the basket most of the time he will be hard to stop. But I'm not expecting much inside help from him. He looks very finesse. But we will see it's really early so for sure on anything yet.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

After seeing Brandon at BBM, and now in the Blue/White game, all I can say is ... enjoy him, because he will only be here one year. I think he does have the "it" factor. I'm not exactly sure what defines "flair" in the basketball sense, but he seems to have an abundance of that too. Spectacular moves, spectacular dunks, spectacular passes, etc. He appears to have it all. But he's also fundamentally sound and has a great shooting stroke. I don't know if he'll get the national hype John Wall had last year, but Brandon Knight will be every bit as good on the court. I'm not predicting record-breaking individual scoring games, but I do think he'll definitely lead the team is scoring.

I'm guessing Terrence Jones will also be one-and-done. We probably haven't had a '4' this talented, as a frosh, since Jamal Mashburn. Jones is similar to Patrick Patterson as a freshman, but with far more tools on the offensive end. It's another loaded freshman class for Calipari. And the scary thing is, next year's class is probably even better.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    After seeing Brandon at BBM, and now in the Blue/White game, all I can say is ... enjoy him, because he will only be here one year. I think he does have the "it" factor. I'm not exactly sure what defines "flair" in the basketball sense, but he seems to have an abundance of that too. Spectacular moves, spectacular dunks, spectacular passes, etc. He appears to have it all. But he's also fundamentally sound and has a great shooting stroke. I don't know if he'll get the national hype John Wall had last year, but Brandon Knight will be every bit as good on the court. I'm not predicting record-breaking individual scoring games, but I do think he'll definitely lead the team is scoring.

I'm guessing Terrence Jones will also be one-and-done. We probably haven't had a '4' this talented, as a frosh, since Jamal Mashburn. Jones is similar to Patrick Patterson as a freshman, but with far more tools on the offensive end. It's another loaded freshman class for Calipari. And the scary thing is, next year's class is probably even better.
    Comparing Knight to Wall is going to be apples to asparagus regardless of which angle people look at. Knight is a much better shooter and scoring threat while Wall is more of a floor general who excels with speed.

I think a lot of people predicted Wall would have a triple double during his time at Lexington. While Wall had that ability, Knight is going to be more like 30-5-5. That could change if Enes is eligible.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    You could see right away in the Blue/White game that this team isn't nearly as talented as last years. Very good talent but not off the charts like last season. Hopefully not many people will be expecting another 35-3 record this season. They are going to struggle early,IMO and depending on how the Kanter situation turns out it's just hard to tell how well this team will do.
    I think few college teams have ever been as talented as last year's Kentucky team. Having said that, this year's team might end up in a better spot, even without Kanter.

1) They can provide absolute match-up nightmares for every team on their schedule aside from perhaps UGA, UNC, and MSU. They're tall, strong, and can play multiple positions.

Want to go small? Plug in Jones at the 5, Miller at the 4, Liggins at SF, and Lamb and Knight at guards.
    Big? Harrelson at 5, Vargas at the 4, Jones at SF, Miller at SG, and Liggins at PG.
    All D? All shooters?
    This team has more options than did last year's. Mostly, the 2010 version of Kentucky struggled against quick point guards and back-door cuts. That shouldn't happen this season, as both Knight and Lamb are better defenders than Bledsoe and Wall. (At least fundamentally.)

2) They can shoot.
    Too, offensively, anyone and everyone on this team can shoot. Only one guy on last year's Cat team could. (With any consistency, anyway.) There is no center in college basketball (aside from perhaps Thompkins at UGA, if that's where he plays) that can guard a guy that can shoot the 3 and post. Jones can do that. And the kid is strong enough to bang inside, too.

3) Their style is tough to defend.
    The DDMO, as done by Calipari, is tough to defend. Especially if all five guys can handle well enough to use it. Everyone on the team, with the possible exceptions of Harrelson and Vargas can do just that. (And, really, both of those guys are plus handles for their position.) Teams aren't used to that dive and dish system. That makes it hard to D up, especially in a tournament setting.

Too, if you go zone to combat the DDMO, they might score 100 just on jump shots. Knight is smooth, as is Lamb (though he needs to range out a bit). Miller is a very good shooter from the top of the key, and Jones can drill it when on. Liggins is streaky, but reports out of practices are that he's been lights out. Same with Harrelson. (One reporter I talked to said Harrelson has been their best shooter for three years now. He also claims that Harrelson would be All-SEC if given enogh time at the C position, so take that for what it's worth.)

3) Lean, long, and athletic may make them the best defensive team in the nation.
    I don't know if Jones will be willing to defend, but everyone else is tough as nails. Harrelson is slow and can be taken advantage of by mobile centers, but UK could go small and put Jones at the 5 to combat that. A press could be a devastating weapon for Calipari, should he employ it. Both Liggins and Miller can (and have) guarded guards in their careers (and done very well doing it). Imagine Liggins' 7 foot wingspan at the front of a press that includes Miller and Knight/ Lamb, with Vargas/ Jones to block shots. Tough to defend without two solid ballhandlers.

Turn Off Ads?