Thread: Phillips gone by mid December?

Re: Phillips gone by mid December?

Mike, kinda of odd the mlb network thinks the same way I do

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulh624 View Post
    Mike, kinda of odd the mlb network thinks the same way I do
    I think you might have that backwards
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

Listen Paul, I don't want to argue with you. But every post from you on every thread on here has been the exact same thing; trade Phillips and Bailey for something. It's a long shot at best and there are other ways of improving the team. I think you should try to add more to the conversation than your one trade idea.
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

The only way I see BP being moved is in the rare case that we are sellers at the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulh624 View Post
    I like Brandon Phillips. I think he is the best 2B in the game today. But, looking at this club. Our biggest weakness is leadoff hitting and outfield speed.

Last I looked. Phillips does not play either. He is not a patient hitter to bat leadoff. And he is not an outfielder. So, without dismantling the entire club. Who has the most upside to help out this club?. Brandon Phillips. Because of his age. He is not going to command top talent in return. Throw in a pitcher and a starting pitcher. You get more value.

So when looking at our starting staff. Who is going go command the most with marginal results? Homer Bailey. .500 starter who has not lived up to his potential. Send them packing together and you get great return.
    You think he is better than Cano?

90% chance BP stays imo

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
    Listen Paul, I don't want to argue with you. But every post from you on every thread on here has been the exact same thing; trade Phillips and Bailey for something. It's a long shot at best and there are other ways of improving the team. I think you should try to add more to the conversation than your one trade idea.

I wouldn't mind the Reds trading Phillips if it meant they were able to extend Latos or Bailey to a long term contract. That would be the sole reason for moving him, which is to reallocate funds from hitting to pitching.

To each their own, but I'd prefer to have a stud pitching staff, vs hitters. Then again, grew up watching how the Braves dominated year in and out with Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz year in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladeda View Post
    I wouldn't mind the Reds trading Phillips if it meant they were able to extend Latos or Bailey to a long term contract. That would be the sole reason for moving him, which is to reallocate funds from hitting to pitching.

To each their own, but I'd prefer to have a stud pitching staff, vs hitters. Then again, grew up watching how the Braves dominated year in and out with Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz year in and out.
    So you move him to clear payroll - and then your solution at 2b is who? Schumaker?

they don't have to move Phillips to extend either. YOU really don't think Bob and Walt would have offered the deal to Phillips thinking...oh well this means we lose both Latos and Bailey.... They knew what they were doing and the monies are there if both are wanting to do extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    they don't have to move Phillips to extend either. YOU really don't think Bob and Walt would have offered the deal to Phillips thinking...oh well this means we lose both Latos and Bailey.... They knew what they were doing and the monies are there if both are wanting to do extensions.
    What was he thinking not leaving enough money for Choo and Bailey?

Quote Originally Posted by indyscott View Post
    What was he thinking not leaving enough money for Choo and Bailey?
    the money was there for both, Walt just knew the contract needed to keep Choo was a bad investment and thus didn't offer it. MLB teams have incredible revenue streams and they are only getting bigger, monies are not an issue. The question is length of deal, other options and does the player want to extend with or sign with team X. Walt may have offered Bailey and extension and Bailey said no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post

Do I think Walt knew what he was doing with monies? Nope.

We have heard nothing about the Reds trying to extend Latos, Bailey or Cueto long term. If cash was available, I would have imagined they would have tried to extend Bailey last winter. You can't wait until the player has 1 year left-- they are more likely to just wait and test FA.

Trying to resign those guys when the Reds payroll is ~$111mm this year will leave the Reds with a $140mm or so payroll in 2016-- and that's not even including Leake or Chapman who are also FA after 2015. I just don't see the Reds with a $160mm payroll in 2016. The Reds won't be able to re sign all 4 SP's past 2015 and Chapman.

IDK-- maybe Bob is richer than I thought. Maybe he would take a personal net loss for a few years if it meant keeping the core pitchers together.

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    So you move him to clear payroll - and then your solution at 2b is who? Schumaker?

Nope. I would look @ trading for Nick Franklin or Dustin Ackley. In reality- Nick Franklin-- he doesn't have a starting spot since the M's signed Cano.

The Mariners bullpen is awful awful awful. A deal centered around Chapman and Franklin should do the trick. The M's really need bullpen help. They won 71 games last year, and had 23 blown saves. 7th most in MLB baseball. That's alot of blown saves for a team that didn't have the lead in too many games last year.

The M's also only had 1 regular relief pitcher with an ERA under 3.5. Heck their 2 closers had ERA's over 4.00. THe M's bullpen is a mess- they need help- a trade is definitely within the realm of possibility.

That said-- the Reds have no where really to trade BP to so it's a moot point really to find a replacement for BP.

Do I think Walt knew what he was doing with monies? Nope.

We have heard nothing about the Reds trying to extend Latos, Bailey or Cueto long term. If cash was available, I would have imagined they would have tried to extend Bailey last winter. You can't wait until the player has 1 year left-- they are more likely to just wait and test FA.

Trying to resign those guys when the Reds payroll is ~$111mm this year will leave the Reds with a $140mm or so payroll in 2016-- and that's not even including Leake or Chapman who are also FA after 2015. I just don't see the Reds with a $160mm payroll in 2016. The Reds won't be able to re sign all 4 SP's past 2015 and Chapman.

IDK-- maybe Bob is richer than I thought. Maybe he would take a personal net loss for a few years if it meant keeping the core pitchers together.
    I have to disagree with you. We have heard that the Reds don't want to trade Homer, and walt wants to try and resign him. Now i don't think that they will, but mostly because i think Homer will want to test FA and not settle for a discount to stay in Cincy. Its also been long believed that had they been able to dump a little bit of salary they would have been a player for Choo. I don't think the Reds have a ton of money to play with, but it seems as though they do have some flexibility.

Also i do agree that the Reds cannot afford to sign their current rotation past next season. My guess is they choose two of Cueto, Baily, Leake, and Latos and let the other two walk. No way they resign champman, unless they plan on making him a starter. a monster deal for a closer is not a good move for this team. But that isn't all bad. Outside of the mega markets good teams don't resign all of their good players. Its all about minor league development. Cingrani made a big step last season, possibly Stephenson this year. Nothing is guaranteed, but they do have pitching prospects that could replace a Bailey and Leake a couple years from now and not miss a beat.

Quote Originally Posted by indyscott View Post
    You think he is better than Cano?
    He is a better "value" the Cano is. Cano is good, he is NOT worth 10 years and 240 million good, so if I had to pick, yes Phillips is a better value at this point.

Turn Off Ads?