Turn Off Ads?

Thread: WGN, Dusty and the Reds

WGN, Dusty and the Reds

I have Dish Network, so no EI package for me. I get what Reds games I can on espn and other cable networks. I noticed the Cubs are next, so I checked out WGN's schedule. Wow was I shocked. Here is the Cubs tv schedule for NL Central opponents in 2008

Pittsburgh - 10 games televised.
    Houston - 8
    Milwaukee - 7
    St. Louis - 5
    Cincinnati - 3

seriously? 10 games with the pirates? are you kidding me? Now I get that perhaps you pick those 10 games thinking the Cubs will win 7-8 of them, but only three televised games against the Reds? methinks there is an anti-Dusty bias here.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: WGN, Dusty and the Reds

Have you also noticed that the Reds are getting more favorable reporting from ESPN, and they frequently say our old friend Dusty...
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

ESPN is like that. They'll pimp anyone that worked at "The Worldwide Leader". I expect we'll see the Reds on ESPN a lot as Jr. gets closer to 600 too.

The WGN thing ticks me off though.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I seriously doubt that the corporate decisionmakers at Tribune Broadcasting have an axe to grind with the Cubs' former manager. More likely, the lack of Reds games on WGN has to do with the days of the week and other program commitments that conflict when the series with the Reds are scheduled.
    /r/reds

WGN has cut back on their schedule a lot. I think they are only doing like 50 or 60 games this season. I look for them to go the way of TBS in the near future. They will carry only a handful of games or none at all.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    WGN has cut back on their schedule a lot. I think they are only doing like 50 or 60 games this season. I look for them to go the way of TBS in the near future. They will carry only a handful of games or none at all.
    Aren't the Cubs for sale?

MLB has been trying to squeeze the superstations out of the daily baseball business for a long time. When the Cubs and WGN are no longer owned by the same people, I imagine any grandfathering goes bye-bye. Not to mention that WGN would have to pony up market-value cash to the Cubs for the right to carry games; right now it's to the Tribune Company's advantage to pay artificially low rights fees in order to keep money off the Cubs' books (revenue sharing, you know).
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I actually thought of this angle with EsPN when the Reds hired Baker..it makes sense, he is selling a brand and people who buy brand buy product and that goes to the bottom line too.

I love Mr. C...I think he is going to be one of the greatest team owners in the history of the Reds...maybe baseball too.
    Last edited by MartyFan; 04-07-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: added two more cents.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I have Dish Network, so no EI package for me. I get what Reds games I can on espn and other cable networks. I noticed the Cubs are next, so I checked out WGN's schedule. Wow was I shocked. Here is the Cubs tv schedule for NL Central opponents in 2008

Pittsburgh - 10 games televised.
    Houston - 8
    Milwaukee - 7
    St. Louis - 5
    Cincinnati - 3

seriously? 10 games with the pirates? are you kidding me? Now I get that perhaps you pick those 10 games thinking the Cubs will win 7-8 of them, but only three televised games against the Reds? methinks there is an anti-Dusty bias here.
    WGN takes most of the day games now and Fox Sports Net takes the evening games.The Reds are playing night games on Tuesday and Wednesday and then a day game on Thursday on all three trips to Wrigley. Most of the Pirates games on WGN are day games.

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    WGN takes most of the day games now and Fox Sports Net takes the evening games.The Reds are playing night games on Tuesday and Wednesday and then a day game on Thursday on all three trips to Wrigley. Most of the Pirates games on WGN are day games.
    I count 20+ games starting at 6:00 pm Eastern time or later. Most all of those during the week.

I'm not a big conspiracy guy, but three televised games against a division rival? more televised games against weaker opponents? seems like they want to televise the wins. Wins = ratings. That means if WGN is going to get sold, it'll be worth a bit more.

too bad. Oh well 145 FSN Games

edit: whoops didnt see you don't get FSN.....I'd get MLB.tv if i were you
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Switch to DirectTV. I was with DishNetwork for years, I made the switch I couldn't be more happy. The best part is that the channels I don't watch like MTV are sequestered with other similar channels making surfing much better.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Dish has my local channels. DirecTV doesn't. So it's either Dish or cable.

I can't do cable again.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Dish has my local channels. DirecTV doesn't. So it's either Dish or cable.

I can't do cable again.
    That's odd that Dish has locals and DirectTV does not. Why is that? Of course, if you have an HDTV or a TV with a digital receiver, you might be able to get the locals with a regular old pair of rabbit ears and get better reception anyway. Digital broadcast signal = no snow!
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?