Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Hairston

Jerry Hairston

What do you guys think of him! I don't really know him, but what I see I like. He is 10 for 29 at the plate. He has some speed, maybe a little power, and can play many positions.

I think he makes Freel expendable! I would like to see this guy get more playing time. Not at Brandon Phillips expense. I hope he's not hurt, but wanted to see if anyone knew much about this guy and had any comments.

Nice game today. Always beating the cubbies is fun!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jerry Hairston

He's a run of the mill utility player, nothing more, nothing less. Nice 13th or 14th man on the roster. He's the reason you don't give Ryan Freel $3M. You'll get something around a .700 OPS with decent defense at a number of positions.

And if things go south (or stay south), maybe you can flip him for a C prospect with a bit of upside in July.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

At this juncture, Hairson is probably the last guy to go. With Gonzo hurt and Castro cut, outside of Keppinger, you don't have any major league SS option. He's looked pretty good so far, but his career numbers offensively aren't special and he's not very good defensively.

Hairston is a good transition player for the Reds, but nothing more.

Bummer! I was thinking or hoping of a late bloomer like a Phillips. Good point though on freel. I guess there are guys like this around. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    Bummer! I was thinking or hoping of a late bloomer like a Phillips. Good point though on freel. I guess there are guys like this around. Thanks
    He's 32 with 2500+ AB under his belt. That's a little past any blooming point. He is what he's going to be.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    He's 32 with 2500+ AB under his belt. That's a little past any blooming point. He is what he's going to be.
    LOL. Wow! I had no idea he was 32. Bust my bubble. If he can hit 10-29 coming off the bench and PH him then I'll take that. Clearly Hateberg does not like that roll. I think I feel an addition by subtraction trade coming.

Maybe Andy Phillips then! I think he's been ok in AAA - not spectacular, but another guy who could fill in for these older guys if we can work a trade.

Thanks for setting me straight. That's why I love the zone!

You guys sure about this player? He's still looking great! He's probablly the best lead off hitter we've had.

He's definitely had a hot bat since he's come up. It's still a pretty small sample size though and I think as the season goes on, his numbers will be average.

But heck, as long as he keeps hitting, there's no reason not to find a place for him to play. It's important to ride the hot bat.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 05-29-2008 at 02:19 AM.

I would go for Janish's glove at SS over Hairston's bat at this point. I still think Hairston could make an excellent utility player or bench player. At this time, however, we still need Hairston hitting lead off until we get Keppinger back from the DL.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    You guys sure about this player? He's still looking great! He's probablly the best lead off hitter we've had.
    It seems likely that he's headed for Pumpkinville.

However, by all means, dance with him 'til 11:45.

He's a run of the mill utility player, nothing more, nothing less. Nice 13th or 14th man on the roster. He's the reason you don't give Ryan Freel $3M. You'll get something around a .700 OPS with decent defense at a number of positions.

And if things go south (or stay south), maybe you can flip him for a C prospect with a bit of upside in July.
    Yep, and the fact he's starting in CF/shortstop is a symptom rather than a feather in someone's cap....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    It seems likely that he's headed for Pumpkinville.

However, by all means, dance with him 'til 11:45.
    Exactly. Like Eddie Taubensee in 1999...I kept waiting for the crash, but he kept it up all season long.

Hairston (or HARRISTON according to George Grande) has been excellent this year-- and while I eventually expect him to revert to career norms, you can't argue with Dusty using him right now. I really like his plate approach....patient, compact swing, doing what he needs to do. He's really taking advantage of this opportunity.

Here's the tough part for Dusty.... when do you pull the plug? That's what makes a good manager-- Hairston will obviously have bad nights, but how can we tell if it's a bad night or a trend back to the norm? It's a tough call. You need to be fair to the guy and not yank him at the first sign of a struggle, but you also don't want to wait too long.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Yep, and the fact he's starting in CF/shortstop is a symptom rather than a feather in someone's cap....
    Boy, isn't that the truth?
    sorry we're boring

Is nice for him to be hot while Kepp and Gonz out. He's a nice little player. Speed, plays many positions. I'd take him for a Utility guy, but then again ask me after he has his 1st slump.

maybe 2008 will be his career year.

Turn Off Ads?