Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is Parra on this team instead of Arredondo?

For a Level Playing Field

Re: Why is Parra on this team instead of Arredondo?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Not that I think Parra is anything to defend, but do we expect his .520 babip to continue?
    Let another organization test those waters. If anyone else will have him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I was in the minority that thought Parra's good arm would thrive as a reliever. He still might, but with Marshall coming back, he's got to go. I'm not real enamored with Ondrusek or Simon either, but Parra is the one that needs to go first.

As for Arredondo, there are lots of crummy pitchers in the soft underbelly of major league bullpens, but nobody wanted him when he was outrighted. That speaks volumes IMO. Even the Astros passed on him. Think about that for a minute.
    It's certainly possible that Parra may be the odd man out when Marshall comes back, but I'm not sure I buy the OP's premise based on last night. In the 9th, he was good enough and got Ransom out to start the 10th. From what I've read, the homer was a meatball that Barney did with it what a good hitter's supposed to do. Frankly the game should have been won in the 9th and had we done so, we're not having this present discussion.

Now none of that is to say that when roster decisions need to be made that Parra should stay, I'm not saying that. But last night isn't one I'm weighing heavily on. He had a nice hold in the 9th and it was eminently winnable in the bottom of the inning, IMO.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Parra should've been gone before the season began IMO. Arredondo isn't the answer. Until he solves his walking fetish, he'll hurt us more than help us. Of the Louisville arms, Pedro Villareal "may" be the best choice. But I'd pick Justin Freeman or Chad Reineke before I picked Arredondo. All 3 of those guys are on the 40 man too.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 04-24-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It's certainly possible that Parra may be the odd man out when Marshall comes back, but I'm not sure I buy the OP's premise based on last night. In the 9th, he was good enough and got Ransom out to start the 10th. From what I've read, the homer was a meatball that Barney did with it what a good hitter's supposed to do. Frankly the game should have been won in the 9th and had we done so, we're not having this present discussion.

Now none of that is to say that when roster decisions need to be made that Parra should stay, I'm not saying that. But last night isn't one I'm weighing heavily on. He had a nice hold in the 9th and it was eminently winnable in the bottom of the inning, IMO.
    This pen is kind of weird. It's feast or famine IMO. Chapman, Marshall, Broxton, Lecure and I still think Hoover are all quality guys that I'd trust late in a close game. OTOH, Parra, Ondrusek and even Simon are mop-up guys IMO. Any of the 3 could go, but I'd probably rank them with Simon as the most quality, then Ondrusek and then Parra. I do think Parra could end up the best of them for a few years and could develop on a team with a chance to give him some rope as a reliever, but that isn't the Reds. I'd like to see the Reds upgrade at least one other spot in that pen. I think that was the reason for keeping Parra. There seems to be enough mop-up types to go around. I think the Reds were hoping that he could be used as a LOOGY while also providing an option as an inning eater in a lost cause. Something the others (including Arredondo) couldn't do. It's a little early to say it didn't work out, but somebody has to go and Parra has had the worst results so far, so he gets the axe IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Not that I think Parra is anything to defend, but do we expect his .520 babip to continue?
    Well when I asked if anyone thinks Parra should stay in Cincy during the game thread you did semi-lecture me about being too quick to get rid of pitchers.

I don't mind stashing him in Louisville.

But given Marshall will be back in a few days...do you think Parrra should be the guy to go? You hedged when I asked you that. I think you are playing devils advocate on this one, but if you are not, and you want to keep Parra up, please say so.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This pen is kind of weird. It's feast or famine IMO. Chapman, Marshall, Broxton, Lecure and I still think Hoover are all quality guys that I'd trust late in a close game. OTOH, Parra, Ondrusek and even Simon are mop-up guys IMO. Any of the 3 could go, but I'd probably rank them with Simon as the most quality, then Ondrusek and then Parra. I do think Parra could end up the best of them for a few years and could develop on a team with a chance to give him some rope as a reliever, but that isn't the Reds. I'd like to see the Reds upgrade at least one other spot in that pen. I think that was the reason for keeping Parra. There seems to be enough mop-up types to go around. I think the Reds were hoping that he could be used as a LOOGY while also providing an option as an inning eater in a lost cause. Something the others (including Arredondo) couldn't do. It's a little early to say it didn't work out, but somebody has to go and Parra has had the worst results so far, so he gets the axe IMO.
    I'd agree with this. BTW, I used your post as my springboard for my thoughts, but wasn't disagreeing with your premise. It just seemed like the most logical for my point. I just didn't believe last night was a primary reason to run Parra out of town. He's definitely the weakest link in the BP.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TStuck View Post
    My oh my...... Parra is awful isn't he? It's interesting to look at his career stats and see how he is one of those guys that did well enough in his first season to tease people into thinking he had some potential, but instead has steadily gotten worse in each successive year. I choked when they kept Parra instead of Arredondo. Hopefully he's gone when Marshall returns.
    Mike Leake?

I like Arredondo, myself. I do not understand the concept that he hurts more than he helps when his ERA was below 3 last year. He wasn't even the weakest link on the 2nd best bullpen in the majors last year and we traded him for a terrible pitcher on a terrible staff in Milwaukee. Arredondo is closer to effectively wild than he gets credit for. The ball is a bit all over the place, then he smokes it on the black to strike a batter out. He came up in some big spots last year all year long. I look forward to having him back on the team to compete with Ondrusek.
    Last edited by mdccclxix; 04-24-2013 at 10:04 AM.

10. Likes:

remdog (04-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Arredondo has 9 walks in 10 innning in AAA this season so far. He wouldn't have been much better.
    ^This! Absence makes the heart grow fonder. I was crossing my fingers they'd have a replacement for Arrendondo coming into spring training because it seemed like I crossed my fingers hoping for something less than a disaster every time he entered the game last year.

Clearly Parra isn't the answer...but I'm not sure Arredondo is either.

Unfortunately, Dusty was just in a bad situation where he had a thinned out bullpen because of too many extra inning games of late. Pretty sure Parra will be gone once Marshall comes back, and I doubt Parra gets put back into a game until then unless it's a blowout.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

ERA is a poor way to judge a reliever. If you want 1 stat to look at, I'd lean towards WHIP or KK/BB ratio. Using those stats...Arredondo is not the solution.

Even still Parra is way worse of an option than Arredondo if you look at periferals. Arredondo seems to trade walks for few hits. He is good at wriggling out of innings. It's not always pretty, but he's a tough cookie.

15. Likes:

remdog (04-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Well when I asked if anyone thinks Parra should stay in Cincy during the game thread you did semi-lecture me about being too quick to get rid of pitchers.

I don't mind stashing him in Louisville.

But given Marshall will be back in a few days...do you think Parrra should be the guy to go? You hedged when I asked you that. I think you are playing devils advocate on this one, but if you are not, and you want to keep Parra up, please say so.
    I think that people are quick to believe in certain performances if they previously wanted or predicted that performance.

Example: Shin Soo Choo is being lauded by some as a godsend, however we know he is due for a crash. Jay Bruce's early lack of power is a blip because of prior history. Jj Hoover was the cat's meow in the preseason and then his early struggles had to be because of overuse and nothing more. Yet because Parra was viewed negatively by some prior to the year, this early season problem is indicative of talent and therefore he needs to go. Immediately.

I'm not a pro scout so it is tough for me to say that he needs to go. If the Reds think he is throwing well, tipping pitches or just in a funk then he maybe should stay. But 6 innings isn't exactly the best way to make a decision.

For a Level Playing Field

I think that people are quick to believe in certain performances if they previously wanted or predicted that performance.

I'm not a pro scout so it is tough for me to say that he needs to go. If the Reds think he is throwing well, tipping pitches or just in a funk then he maybe should stay. But 6 innings isn't exactly the best way to make a decision.
    How about 4+ years in the bigs... 5.16 ERA, 1.659 WHIP, 81 ERA+, 1.83 K/BB?

I am not sure that small sample size works there. This guy is not good. He should thank the good lord that he was give a "dominant" (so to speak) left-arm that has made him a millionaire. Based on 4+ years of big league action I say cut ties now. I would have cut ties before Opening Day, but I am not at Spring Training or in the front office. He is a below-average pitcher that I do not care to see wear a REDS uniform. If it is a funk, then he has been in this funk for about 3 years.

Example: Shin Soo Choo is being lauded by some as a godsend, however we know he is due for a crash. Jay Bruce's early lack of power is a blip because of prior history. Jj Hoover was the cat's meow in the preseason and then his early struggles had to be because of overuse and nothing more. Yet because Parra was viewed negatively by some prior to the year, this early season problem is indicative of talent and therefore he needs to go. Immediately.

It just seems like you are taking shots at the people who want Parra gone, but you yourself don't even know who you would get rid of.

And the thought that because Parra was viewed negatively pre-season, some are over-emphasizing how much how has stunk the first 3 weeks???

Saying Parra is the one to go is a very reasonable position. I would have to say it is between him, JJ, and Logan. So why are you busting chops for people picking Parra, solely because he has only pitched 6 innings?

Turn Off Ads?