Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watch the game?

Watch the game?

I watch a vast majority of the games on TV and from time to time get down to Cincy watch in person. I normally watch the entire game & quite intently, I have a DVR so I will at times run a game back some to double or even triple check things. My question is simple how many of you see most of the games either live or on TV, how intently do you watch the nuances of the game and not just the result of a particular play? How many games do you actually watch?

My point here is I see an awful lot of Reds baseball and I can't for the life of me understand why so many seem to be watching something else.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Re: Watch the game?

100 plus each season. My attention varies depending on who I'm with during the game. I live nearly five hours a way but make it to 9 or 10 games a year, depending on how the team is doing. I've got MLB Extra Innings, MLB TV (for work), MLB at bat on my phone, and XM for the car. I love me some Reds, which is why this year has been so great. I just hope they continue, I'm coming up next week for the St. Louis series for the last time this regular season.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

High five!

Just ask my wife!

I watch about 80-90% of the games that are on TV. I'm usually in chat so if there's a replay or something noteworthy, someone will notice it and take a look.

Probably, I miss no more than 5 or 6 games that are on FS-Ohio and get up to GABP a couple of times a year. It's a nightly routine and on days like this--no game--I am lost as to what to do in the evening.

The reason you see things differently is because every person has a different perspective on what they've seen. It's the human condition.

I have 2 little kids so I usually always have the game on but not always following closely. I also have the Directv MLB package, so in the past years come August I am usually watching teams that are somewhat competive which of course the Reds of late usually aren't. This year I pretty much only watch the Reds and few late night west coast games.

It is nice to be experiencing a pennant race after all these years.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I watch 100+ games a year. I usually only miss watching games when work or some other activity is at the same time. I usually attend about 4 to 5 games a year (Reds are 4-0 this year in the games I have attended). I also subscribe to Extra Innings so I follow a lot of baseball even when the Reds are not on.

Worth The Wait

I live in Oklahoma, and in the past, I'd say I watched about 150 of the games live in a given season. Since my business took off a bit and my daughter was born, that has become more of a challenge. But thank heavens for the DVR!

Now, I watch 1-2 games per week live on TV...most always the Sunday game. The other games I watch on DVR....I'm very psycho about not seeing a score or anything before I watch....which stinks when the games matter like they do now. I will normally go through our evening routine and once the kiddo is in bed, I settle in to watch...this is usually around 9:00-9:30 central time, so the Reds game is normally over by the time I start watching. I speed through commercials and stoppages in play. If I'm really tired, sometimes I will fast forward through half-innings, etc...

Bottom line, ideally I'd love to just plop down on the couch each night and watch live, but that's not my reality thesedays....but I'm still not willing to give it up and just check the score....the DVR has saved me for sure.

I'm still watching 150+ games per year, just a few hours later than most of you

Should we get into late Sept/Oct though, the DVR will not be acceptable.

The years I had MLBEI with DISH I watched nearly every game. That was during some bad years too,2004,2005. DISH dropped that package but I just switched to DirecTV in June and subscribed to the half season package. I have watched nearly every game. I ususally have to DVR the last few innings of games during the week and watch the next day. I can't stay up to watch the entire game because of having to get up so early for work. Everyone has their own perspective when they are watching. It has always amazed me what people see. Many times I ask myself "Did I watch the same game as they did? "
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I watch every game unless I have to be at work or some other obligation. Much like the OP I rewind plays on the DVR when I'm watching on TV, but I much prefer to be at GABP when the Reds are in town.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I watch a vast majority of the games on TV and from time to time get down to Cincy watch in person. I normally watch the entire game & quite intently, I have a DVR so I will at times run a game back some to double or even triple check things. My question is simple how many of you see most of the games either live or on TV, how intently do you watch the nuances of the game and not just the result of a particular play? How many games do you actually watch?

My point here is I see an awful lot of Reds baseball and I can't for the life of me understand why so many seem to be watching something else.
    Everytime they're on, I watch them VERY intently. Unfortunately, this means I get to see them play the Cubs (WGN), the Astros (local), and any nationally televised game (thanks to the MLB Network is more often than previously). This season, thanks to the extra innings trial I also got a few extra weeks of non-stop Reds action.

But normally, it's Gameday, WLW audio and my imagination like when I was a kid listening to Marty & Joe.

For those who live up there, I don't get not watching when you can. But to each his own.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 08-05-2010 at 12:09 PM.

MLB.tv for me when I'm at home, MLB Gameday audio on my blackberry when I'm in the car, and condensed games on mlb.com for the games that I miss.

Usually I'll do a split screen on my laptop when both the Reds and the Cards are on, which is a pretty cool feature.

I have only been able to watch games in May this year. Is Gomes still an MVP candidate?

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I probably catch about 75-80% of the games each season. This has improved greatly now that I finally have cable with FSN Ohio (we didn't have cable up until a few years ago so I couldn't watch anything but the Fox national games before that). The only times I miss games on TV are when I'm out of town, during the last part of the TV season when my TV shows are airing their season/series finales (usually I just watch that show and then go back to the game...there aren't many nights where there's more than one show I'm following so I still catch most of the game), and I also tend to miss some games in September when my fave shows come back for their premieres. I always flip back to the game during commercials though so that has to count for something, LOL :

I've been down to GABP nine times this season (my record: 6-3) and my next game is going to be during the Cardinals series. I haven't figured out which game yet but I only have to find one ticket so that shouldn't be too big of a problem.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I have the MLB Extra Innings package here. I have a tough work schedule for seeing a lot of games but subscribe anyway to see certain guys play. I think my wife would say that I watch pretty intently because when I am watching the game I am often audibly agreeing with something on the field or voicing my opinion on why I don't agree. I do critique players often and enjoy picking up on the small stuff that the guys do that seem to stand out to me.
    The guys are in first place and haven't heard a word I've said all year so I guess they know what they're doing

I attend about 10 games a year and watch around 130 games on TV. Usually the only time I miss a game on TV is if I'm on vacation or am doing something else like bowling in my league, but even then the TV at the bowling alley is usually tuned in to the Reds game.

Turn Off Ads?