Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto's 10yr extension finally starts in 2014

"So Fla Red"

Re: Votto's 10yr extension finally starts in 2014

Yes, Reds need to hope that the next 5-6 seasons Votto significantly outperforms his contract to make up for the out years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

10 year contracts are almost always a bad deal. Votto could be the exception to the rule though.

4. Likes:

redsfandan (10-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    You have to adapt as you get older and Joey claims he will not change his approach for any reason
    Could you cite this claim? The "for any reason" is a damning accusation.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Hard to believe the ten year contract really hasn't even started yet...

Huge overpay as it turned out with the potential for some lean seasons in the out years. I think he'd get 7/140 on the open market. 1B and DH are the only places to put him. Reds should be very concerned based on the post knee injury recovery and regression in defense and baserunning this season. Hoping a full offseason of work and not worrying about the knee will make Votto more confident next season.
    I guess this is where I would object slightly. I can't say if this year was just an aberration or whether this is a harbinger of things to come. But we can't really say until we see how he is next season. Should they be concerned? Should somewhat, but not overly, IMO.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Contract kicks in 2014, collective hand wringing, doom saying and worry has already begun.

It's like Christmas music, it comes early stays long and never seems to leave

8. Likes:

Big Klu (10-18-2013),Larkin Fan (10-14-2013),lollipopcurve (10-14-2013),RedEye (10-14-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (10-15-2013),TRF (10-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Contract kicks in 2014, collective hand wringing, doom saying and worry has already begun.

And it sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Little Latte Boy

11. Likes:

westofyou (10-14-2013)

I would have thought it was 2014 already based on some of the posts that we've seen made on this board over the last season.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    As discussed before, it's highly unlikely that Votto will be worth what he's being paid in the final years of this contract. But that okay.

When you sign a star player to a long term contract in his prime, you do so in order to benefit from his prime years production. During those years, Votto will be well underpaid, and actually saving the Reds money. To get that, the Reds were will willing to accept that they will likely be losing money on the last few years of the contract.

It's really the only way to keep a star player long term.
    Yep, exactly.
    Cast and Walt knew that the last 3 years of Votto's deal would not likely to be a "value" proposition.

At some point, if a team wants sustained success, they got to spend some money. I don't fault the Reds for the guys they signed at the time.
    I don't remember anyone seriously objecting to Votto's extension when it was announced..

2013 has made a lot of people bitter here and ready to totally clean house.
    I don't really understand it.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

14. Likes:

Big Klu (10-18-2013),HeatherC1212 (10-15-2013),jimbo (10-14-2013),MattyHo4Life (10-14-2013)

I don't care how much he's getting paid in an individual season versus how much he's worth. I only care that the total amount of money paid for his services reaches its overall value over the life of the deal. I do believe there's a good chance of that happening.

The only concern would be if they're paying $20 million a year at the end for a guy who's physically unable to perform and that money is causing the club to suffer for lack of flexibility in payroll. But 10 years from now, it's not likely that $20 million will be that restrictive.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

16. Likes:

REDREAD (10-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yep, exactly.
    Cast and Walt knew that the last 3 years of Votto's deal would not likely to be a "value" proposition.

At some point, if a team wants sustained success, they got to spend some money. I don't fault the Reds for the guys they signed at the time.
    I don't remember anyone seriously objecting to Votto's extension when it was announced..

2013 has made a lot of people bitter here and ready to totally clean house.
    I don't really understand it.
    I don't remember much opposition to either Votto or Philip's extensions at the time.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (10-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MattyHo4Life View Post
    I don't remember much opposition to either Votto or Philip's extensions at the time.
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...&postcount=128

I was not and still am not a fan of either deal.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

21. Likes:

redsfandan (10-16-2013)

Way to prove me wrong woy. Lol

Way to prove me wrong woy. Lol
    Lots of folks here, so I suppose in that thread you'd get a slice of all the feelings... shoot in June there was thread titled "Brandon Phillips HOF?"

Turn Off Ads?