Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: 6/17/13 Reds v. Pirates - Welcome to the bullpen, Mr. Cingrani

Re: 6/17/13 Reds v. Pirates - Welcome to the bullpen, Mr. Cingrani

I'm amazed by how much better Leake has been this year. Guys just can't seem to square up a pitch off of him.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IABucFan View Post
    Yes. I don't think it was intentional. But, my larger point is that it doesn't matter. Look, I've got no problem with pitching inside, none whatsoever. But when you throw that hard, you've GOT to be able to control it. Accidents happen. I get that. I really do. And, Walker got out of the way, so in a sense, no harm no foul. But, sooner or later, if he keeps coming inside and not being able to control it, he's going to cause a serious injury. And that's unfortunate. Maybe he needs to take something off when going inside. Even if he did, his fastball is so good there's about three hitters in baseball that can catch up to it.
    And I think you're making too much of a deal out of this statement. You can just as easily seriously injure someone at 90 mph.

4. Likes:

Cursh14 (06-17-2013),WVRedsFan (06-17-2013)

Congratulations again to Jay Bruce, who has tied "The Big Bopper" Lee May for 16th place on the Reds' all-time home run list!

Updated Reds HR list (players in italics are active):

Reds 100-Home Run Club
    1. Johnny Bench - 389
    2. Frank Robinson - 324
    3. Tony Perez - 287
    4. Adam Dunn - 270
    5. Ted Kluszewski - 251
    6. George Foster - 244
    7. Ken Griffey, Jr. - 210
    8. Eric Davis - 203
    9. Barry Larkin - 198
    10. Vada Pinson - 186
    11. Wally Post - 172
    12. Gus Bell - 160
    13. Joe Morgan - 152
    13. Pete Rose - 152
    13. Brandon Phillips - 152
    16. Lee May - 147
    16. Jay Bruce - 147
    18. Joey Votto - 145

19. Dan Driessen - 133
    20. Reggie Sanders - 125
    21. Ernie Lombardi - 120
    22. Sean Casey - 118
    23. Frank McCormick - 110
    24. Dave Parker - 107
    25. Chris Sabo - 104
    26. Dave Concepcion - 101
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

6. Likes:

NebraskaRed (06-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    He shouldn't....but he does. It's not about the ump "stinking" or not. When a catcher bounces around like that, it'll mess up EVERY ump. They use the glove as the target and as a guide to call the pitch. Some people are under the impression that it's EASY to call balls/strikes accurately. It's not. I'm not trying to excuse the guy...but part of that blame HAS to go towards Mesoraco there. He's just not very good back there.
    The guy missed 3 strikeout calls but no other strike 1 or 2 the entire game?...then the call on Meso in the 2nd?

We can blame Meso some if we want, but the fact of the matter is the ump blew the calls badly and at decently big moments. It was the professional umpire's fault. He is there to call balls and strikes accurately and not to measure the receiving ability of the catcher. If he noticed Meso moving around too much he should've been even more focused to get the call right, but he only missed on obvious strike 3's.

Huh? 2 strikeouts and 1 walk while facing 3 batters. Leake goes 7 full of 1 run, 6 hit ball? No-brainer here IMO.

7-3 now with a 2.64 era. LOL. I'm soooooo sick of the #5 label. :O)
    Like I said, if LeCure had been left in we would have lost. I am convinced of that as I am the sun will come up tomorrow. Just a hugh big time effort by the rookie in a big ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Just another great effort by the surfer dude. But Cingrani is my star of the game.
    Yep, Chapman got the official "save", but there's no doubt who really saved this one. Great job by Tony in his first bigtime pressure situation.

"So Fla Red"

Pirates lead MLB in opponent HBP with 37, the Reds have 23. The average is 22. I would think that is not lost on the rest of the NL. STL has 32. The Bucs and Cards should have at it. Now that would be fun to watch.

11. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (06-18-2013),New York Red (06-17-2013),WVRedsFan (06-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by IABucFan View Post
    Yes. I don't think it was intentional. But, my larger point is that it doesn't matter. Look, I've got no problem with pitching inside, none whatsoever. But when you throw that hard, you've GOT to be able to control it. Accidents happen. I get that. I really do. And, Walker got out of the way, so in a sense, no harm no foul. But, sooner or later, if he keeps coming inside and not being able to control it, he's going to cause a serious injury. And that's unfortunate. Maybe he needs to take something off when going inside. Even if he did, his fastball is so good there's about three hitters in baseball that can catch up to it.
    Lol right.

Look I know you're a Pirates fan that doesn't like it, but the reality is that he's a pretty wild flame thrower. He's not the first nor will he be the last.

13. Likes:

Cursh14 (06-17-2013),WVRedsFan (06-17-2013)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Oh, no doubt, me too. I'm not suggesting we go headhunting, but I'm also not going to sweat it if we plunk a couple Pirates in this series. We certainly owe them a few.
    since they lead in HBP's -- a case could be made that pretty much everyone owes them
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

And I think you're making too much of a deal out of this statement. You can just as easily seriously injure someone at 90 mph.
    Well, then I'd say the same about someone throwing 90. If you're going to come up and in, be able to control it. If you can't, don't go up and in.

Anyway, I got a little hot. Sorry if my emotions got the better of me. I still don't think it's right. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be. Anyway, I'm out.

Hope you all don't mind a Pirate fan joining you to discuss the game.

"So Fla Red"

Lost in all the excitement of Chappy's wildness and Pete's ever expanding waist line.

Finally the break through to 15-games over .500. 14-over has been Kryptonite the last couple of weeks.

17. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (06-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Rocco
    If you correct me in your way again I will go out of my way to completely botch his name as often as possible as I become far more avid on here the rest of the season. I'm glad you like calling him Rocco.....I'm going to call him Meso or Mesoraco. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    That's a lot of work, but just by personal pitching record 18, if my quick math was correct. That wouldn't include losing leads to a tie score.
    Maybe I'm missing something here. Just a quick skim of last years results and there were not that many games where our middle relief blew the lead. Certainly not during the second half of the season once Marshall and Broxton were in place.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Pirates lead MLB in opponent HBP with 37, the Reds have 23. The average is 22. I would think that is not lost on the rest of the NL. STL has 32. The Bucs and Cards should have at it. Now that would be fun to watch.
    Post of the night. Hopefully the Buc fan is still reading.

It's not quite the L flag with the goat pic for the Cubs, but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcDmMOK_Ht0
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?