Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Fred Lewis

Re: Reds Sign Fred Lewis

Career (1200 AB) line of .280/.354/.442/.796 versus RH pitching. Solid, that.

Gomes' career line against LHP: .276/.371/.507/.878 More than solid, that.

A strict platoon would be around a 280/360/475 835 line with decent speed and poor defense. (Though not as bad as last season.)

If both continue to hit their career averages, Red fans can expect something along the line of Dmitri Young.

Not a bad deal at all.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    A strict platoon would be around a 280/360/475 835 line with decent speed and poor defense. (Though not as bad as last season.)

If both continue to hit their career averages, Red fans can expect something along the line of Dmitri Young.

Not a bad deal at all.
    Indeed.

I was not wild at all about Gomes coming back but if he and Lewis are used correctly in a platoon, I'd be just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Love it. Jocketty said he's probably done now too. Is it Opening Day yet? Lets go get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

a good signing. Of the FA players available to fill the LF and IF spots, I think Walt got the best ones and at reasonable prices. Also, the farm system has not been depleted in the process of shoring up the holes. That leaves some attractive trading chips as well as salary cap for the Reds to use in going after a critical piece at the trade deadline.

The Reds are going to face TOR starters many times this season, not only within the division, but also in the two four game series with the Phils. They are not going to beat them with three run HR's. They will need an ability to manufacture runs. The Lewis signing is a step in that direction. I don't believe that any player has a lock on the LF spot. IMO, Heisey has the best all around combination of defense, speed, and power. Then again, I am a long time Heisey booster. Let the competition begin.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Love it. Jocketty said he's probably done now too. Is it Opening Day yet? Lets go get it.
    37 days until Pitchers & Catchers report!
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I know he says that but I do not believe him.

I SERIOUSLY believe there is some sort of trade in the cards (no pun) for the Reds that will see a high dollar salary leave town to open salary flexibility.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

What I like about all these signings as a whole is that they will more than likely have very little negative impact, if any.

Nice, high floor off season. Nothing fancy. Very Walt.

Oh...And how amazing would it be if D Train and Hermida somehow find it again?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post

I SERIOUSLY believe there is some sort of trade in the cards (no pun) for the Reds that will see a high dollar salary leave town to open salary flexibility.
    A deal of a starter and Cordero wouldn't shock me at all, but who to? And for what?

Dunno.

Still would have preferred to have DeJesus in LF.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    the farm system has not been depleted in the process of shoring up the holes. That leaves some attractive trading chips as well as salary cap for the Reds to use in going after a critical piece at the trade deadline.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post

Right now Walt does not HAVE to make a move. He can take the roster as it is & plan to start the season without any changes. There are positions we would all like to see improved but there are no gaping holes. If a good deal either comes to him or he works to put one together then the team certainly can make a trade. Nobody in the left field or shortstop mix is an everyday player.
    Janish, Leake (or Alonso) & a prospect for Stephen Drew? make it so.
    Heisey & Leake (or Alonso) & a prospect for Justin Upton? make it so.
    Gomes, a pitcher & a prospect for Nelson Cruz? make it so.
    Its not like Edgar Renteria, Gomes or Fred Lewis wouldn't make decent bench players. Sure they would be disappointed if the team traded for an everyday solution at their position. But its part of the game.

My suspicion is that Walt won't make a deal prior to spring training. Its possible a deal is made prior to the season. I would be suprised if a solid trade isn't made by the dealine.

Chris Dickerson with less defense and a little more consistency on offense. Good move for 900K. Lewis is not a very good defender, but he is capable of filling the lead-off role. If this pushes Stubbs to a power spot, I wonder if Gomes might be moved leaving the platoon to lead-off types Lewis and Heisey (and maybe Sappelt down the road).

I'd still like to see Hermida make the team somehow, but can't see how unless Gomes is moved. I also think Heisey may be in danger of being optioned if he has a poor spring.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Chris Dickerson with less defense and a little more consistency on offense. Good move for 900K. Lewis is not a very good defender, but he is capable of filling the lead-off role. If this pushes Stubbs to a power spot, I wonder if Gomes might be moved leaving the platoon to lead-off types Lewis and Heisey (and maybe Sappelt down the road).

I'd still like to see Hermida make the team somehow, but can't see how unless Gomes is moved. I also think Heisey may be in danger of being optioned if he has a poor spring.
    This move's fine but it does make the Hermida move a little hard to understand if Heisey really fits in the plans.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    This move's fine but it does make the Hermida move a little hard to understand if Heisey really fits in the plans.
    I'll be surprised if Gomes, Heisey, Lewis and Hermedia are all on the Reds opening day roster. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gomes as the odd man out.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    What I like about all these signings as a whole is that they will more than likely have very little negative impact, if any.

Nice, high floor off season. Nothing fancy. Very Walt.

Oh...And how amazing would it be if D Train and Hermida somehow find it again?
    It would be delightful.

I am still disappointed that the Reds did not make a move from the surplus to really solidify the team in LF or at SP. But that they did not speaks to the limits of the budget. Don't like it, but so be it.

So....if they couldn't make a move for an Upton or a Grienke, then at least under Plan B I really like the signings Walt made and the guys he targeted in making the signings. Love Lewis a LOT more than Podsednik. Like Renteria as veteran insurance or starter at SS. Really pleased with the option of a Hermida instead of a Nix. If they were not going to make a splash, then what Walt ended up doing was a good fallback.

I feel like the club is improved over last year's edition. Will it be enough? Got me. A lot will depend on the kind of step forward again we've all talked about needing from the core of youngsters. But Lewis/Renteria/Hermida/Willis is a nice set of potential veteran help to the club for not much money. Really nice set of moves.
    Last edited by membengal; 01-10-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    It would be delightful.

I am still disappointed that the Reds did not make a move from the surplus to really solidify the team in LF or at SP. But that they did not speaks to the limits of the budget. Don't like it, but so be it.

So....if they couldn't make a move for an Upton or a Grienke, then at least under Plan B I really like the signings Walt made and the guys he targeted in making the signings. Love Lewis a LOT more than Podsednik. Like Renteria has veteran insurance or starter at SS. Really pleased with the option of a Hermida instead of a Nix. If they were not going to make a splash, then what Walt ended up doing was a good fallback.

I feel like the club is improved over last year's edition. Will it be enough? Got me. A lot will depend on the kind of step forward again we've all talked about needing from the core of youngsters. But Lewis/Renteria/Hermida/Willis is a nice set of potential veteran help to the club for not much money. Really nice set of moves.

I really don't think it's gonna be enough to repeat, but as you said....So be it. They've put themselves in the position to captalize on some "Ya never know" types, all without compromising the young core.

The team is on solid footing, so who really knows? If they get a couple of lucky breaks with some acquisitions, and if a youngster (Bruce...Cough!) or two breaks out.... I think they've got a chance.

Should make for some interesting Baseball.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?