Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A's to Acquire Josh Willingham

A's to Acquire Josh Willingham

I wanted Willingham to join the Reds, but it looks like it won't happen this year.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/1...illingham.html
    The Nationals get right-hander Henry Rodriguez and minor league outfielder Corey Brown, according to Rosenthal (on Twitter). Baseball America didn't rank Brown among Oakland's top ten prospects earlier in the month. However, Brown and Rodriguez ranked 12th and 13th, respectively, when BA ranked the Athletics' prospects heading into the 2010 season.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: A's to Acquire Josh Willingham

Dang, looks like Willingham was clearly on the market and we didn't take advantage.

For all of the prospect gurus out there, would this be the equivalent of Heisey and Fisher or Burton? If so, I really wish the Reds would have pulled the trigger or even upped the ante a little bit.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Dang, looks like Willingham was clearly on the market and we didn't take advantage.

<snip> If so, I really wish the Reds would have pulled the trigger or even upped the ante a little bit.
    Fay says the Reds are "at payroll." If you believe that and the sentence below from the article, that means they'd have to give back someone making ~$5M+ to make the deal work.

Willingham earned $4.6MM in 2010 and will go to arbitration one last time this winter before hitting free agency after the 2011 season.

Im really liking what the A's have done this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Fay says the Reds are "at payroll." If you believe that and the sentence below from the article, that means they'd have to give back someone making ~$5M+ to make the deal work.
    Oh, I agree that the money may not be there. That's why dumping Cordero's contract would be the only way the Reds could improve SS, LF or the front-end of the rotation. Cordero may be unmoveable, in which case I can see how Jocketty's hands are tied. However, after spending big bucks to lure Werth, I don't see how a similar package plus Cordero wouldn't have been attractive to the Nationals. He could have been a decent mentor for Storen and would benefit the Nationals bullpen.

I really do think the Reds have to do something with Cordero if they are going to be able to improve the current roster and Walt might have been honest when he says he is good with rolling with the current team in 2011.

For all of the prospect gurus out there, would this be the equivalent of Heisey and Fisher or Burton? If so, I really wish the Reds would have pulled the trigger or even upped the ante a little bit.
    I'm not a prospect guru, and I don't know anything about Brown, but Henry Rodriguez throws Zumaya hard.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I'm not a prospect guru, and I don't know anything about Brown, but Henry Rodriguez throws Zumaya hard.
    Interesting, definitely not something I could see just from his stats. I did see that Brown was an As former first rounder, but I didn't know much about their version of H Rod.

Interesting, definitely not something I could see just from his stats. I did see that Brown was an As former first rounder, but I didn't know much about their version of H Rod.
    Fangraphs does list average fastball velocity under pitch type. Every once in a while, you just get curious about stuff like that, and win probability can be fun sometimes, too.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...0&season1=2010
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Why is money always the issue? Last year we were at budget and still signed OCab. The money can be their for the right pieces. Last year they were in on Cliff Lee at the deadline.. We were at budget then. This money hinder should be mute point. If Bobby Jenks can grab 6 mil a year for being a slightly above average closer. We can eat half of CoCo's salary and deal him elsewhere.

Josh Willingham
    Coco Crisp
    David DeJesus
    Michael Taylor

Kind of a who's who of players pimped by RedZoners over the last year. Add in Cris Carter and Connor Jackson and the A's might have depth to trade for one or more of our youngsters if a bigger name can't be landed. Maybe they'll be sports and toss in Grant Green too.

Coco Cordero for Coco Crisp and Grant Green. There's yer Money Ball!
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-16-2010 at 07:37 PM.

I can see exactly why Walt didn't go for him. If Willingham was a perfect fit, money wouldn't be an issue. However, he isn't a lead off bat -- so that would leave the Reds with his salary and still no new acquisition to bat leadoff.
    Last edited by Strikes Out Looking; 12-16-2010 at 08:07 PM.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I'm not sure there isn't any room to maneuver, but I can see WJ (and BC) taking it slow for two reasons - 1) waiting to see if they can progress on the Votto and/or Cueto extensions so they'll have a better idea of where their payroll situation and 2) letting the market settle out so they can see who's left on the market and which teams still have needs after the monster deals are done.

I would haved loved to see the Reds make a deal this past week, but honestly I would have been shocked if they had.

I've got a feeling that we will have a decent idea in the next two or three weeks about whether or not there will be deals with either Joey or Jonny. I think any deals, if they happen, will probably be after the first of the year between the second week of January and the second week of February.

Willingham would've been a nice upgrade.. On the other hand, if you trade for him now, your hands are tied as far as getting anything better (or more long term).

The Reds are in the unique position of having a lot of expendable prospects right now. They can do better than Willingham, if a player is avaiable. Although, I can see the point of view that Willingham is a "bird in the hand" that is a clear upgrade to Gomes (offensively at least).

Walt, Find us that fast LF with a high OBP and a good glove
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Looks like Willingham got $6MM

Turn Off Ads?