Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The race for the 2008 #1 overall draft pick

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: The race for the 2008 #1 overall draft pick

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Mark Prior, Mark Teixeira, and Justin Upton were all probably in the next tier after A-Rod and Jr. You could argue that Delmon Young belongs in that list as well.
    Justin Upton is going to turn 20 years old this season. by the time Ken Griffey Jr was hitting .300/.366/.481 for an OPS + of 130. Arod at 20 had an OPS + of 160, both in the majors.

Upton, DY, MP, Teixeira were all good prospects and Upton is arguably the best prospect in baseball right now (with the others being Phil Hughes or Jay Bruce), but none of them were in the same conversation with Griffey or Arod.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Where would you rate Justin Upton? Coming into his draft, he was supposed to be in the "can't miss" mold of Jr. and A-Rod.
    Oh, Justin Upton is one heck of a prospect. Maybe the best in baseball. But see my post above and he isnt really comparable to the two of them. Every few years someone draws the Griffey/Arod comparison and each time I just sit back and laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I don't see anyone complaining about a HS kid starting out slow. If you are comparing Jeter's situation to Stubbs', then you are off. Stubbs was a college kid coming from a major program. Much different than coming out of HS or the NAIA.
    No, I was not comparing it at all to Stubbs. I do think that a guy failing to post an OPS of .700 in the GCL though out of HS as a top 10 pick would have people around here going a little crazy though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Justin Upton is going to turn 20 years old this season. by the time Ken Griffey Jr was hitting .300/.366/.481 for an OPS + of 130. Arod at 20 had an OPS + of 160, both in the majors.

Upton, DY, MP, Teixeira were all good prospects and Upton is arguably the best prospect in baseball right now (with the others being Phil Hughes or Jay Bruce), but none of them were in the same conversation with Griffey or Arod.
    Hence I said "the next tier" after those guys.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Hence I said "the next tier" after those guys.
    Well if there was an A tier that included Griffey and Arod I dont think anyone is on the B tier. There would be a handful of guys on the C tier.

uoduck1017

Updated through 7-22-07

Top five worst records:

1. Tampa Bay Devil Rays 38-60
    2. Cincinnati Reds 41-58, 2.5 GB
    3. Pittsburgh Pirates 41-56, 3.5 GB
    4. San Francisco Giants 41-55, 4 GB
    5. Houston Astros 42-56, 4 GB

The Devil Rays really want that #1 pick again. When OnBaseMachine started this thread on July 1st, they were 33-47. Like any good bad team does, they lost...a lot, capped off by allowing 3 touchdowns to the Yanks today. Good to see the NL Central representing these standings quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by uoduck1017 View Post
    Updated through 7-22-07

Top five worst records:

The Devil Rays really want that #1 pick again. When OnBaseMachine started this thread on July 1st, they were 33-47. Like any good bad team does, they lost...a lot, capped off by allowing 3 touchdowns to the Yanks today. Good to see the NL Central representing these standings quite well.
    With a pen like the DRays, they could be looking at the first pick for years to come. The pen is AWFUL. WOW.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

We didnt pass on Jeter for money, we passed on Jeter because we simply misjudged the talent. However I would love to see the reaction on Redszone if Jeter were drafted by the Reds today and he were to put up an OPS of .608 in the GCL like he did back in 1992. Man would there be some outrage going on.
    Lets not pervert arguments or twist things Doug.

The list of HS hitters who struggled in Rookie ball yet made fine Major Leaguers is long and lengthy.

However, the list of College bats who did the same is almost non-existent.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Lets not pervert arguments or twist things Doug.

The list of HS hitters who struggled in Rookie ball yet made fine Major Leaguers is long and lengthy.

However, the list of College bats who did the same is almost non-existent.
    I never tried to compare Stubbs to Jeter.

Lets also note that Stubbs has been injured all season and that he has shown plenty of ability to put things together for prolonged stretches (likewise, he has shown the inability to do the same thing). If Stubbs were consistantly having months that were bad, then I would be more worried. Instead he has had 2 very good months, a bad month and then June where I am unsure what word to use to describe its .478 OPS.

Point is, the season is not over yet. Drew has plenty of time to keep his numbers on the rise. Ryan Howard didn't blow single A away as a 22 year old. He hit .280/.367/.469 as a first baseman. That is probably fairly similar position wise to what Stubbs is doing considering he plays one of the lightest hittng positions on the field. Drew has been tearing the cover off of the ball lately, OPSing over 1.100 for the month. Lets see where he takes it the rest of the season.

Senor Votto

I've been trying to find who could possibly go early in the 2008 draft but I cant find anything. Anyone know where I can find this?

Quote Originally Posted by uoduck1017 View Post
    Updated through 7-22-07

Top five worst records:

Agreed. We are going to have a lot of competition for no.2. Tampa Bay is going to run away with no.1

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I've been trying to find who could possibly go early in the 2008 draft but I cant find anything. Anyone know where I can find this?
    www.projectprospect.com has a top 5 draft board up for next years eligible college draftees. Honestly though, its way to early to know who is going to where. Injuries, poor performance, guys breaking through.... lots of stuff can change.

Senor Votto

www.projectprospect.com has a top 5 draft board up for next years eligible college draftees. Honestly though, its way to early to know who is going to where. Injuries, poor performance, guys breaking through.... lots of stuff can change.
    Thanks for the site I just wanted to get an idea of who to watch.

We're back in this thing! Currently, the Reds would hold the second pick. Any more series against the Nationals? We could lock this thing up within a week!

We already know if Scott Boras has the top rated prospect and the Reds get the 1st pick they won'ttake him.

Turn Off Ads?