Votto
    Bruce
    Latos

I'd have to be blown away:
    Chapman
    Hamilton
    Bailey
    Cueto

For those mentioning guys in the low minors...there is no one below AAA who should ever be considered untouchable. Just my opinion.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: dont come in if you dont wanna play 5 Reds Untouchables

Ludwick
    Mesoraco
    Paul
    Leake
    Hannahan

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Conversation stops when these guys are mentioned:
    Votto
    Bruce
    Latos

I'd have to be blown away:
    Chapman
    Hamilton
    Bailey
    Cueto

For those mentioning guys in the low minors...there is no one below AAA who should ever be considered untouchable. Just my opinion.
    If the Angels called up talking Mike Trout, everyone is on the table.

With the minors, generally speaking, I am with you. There haven't been too many "untouchables". Stephenson is one of them. You see an arm like his come through your organization once every 10-20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If the Angels called up talking Mike Trout, everyone is on the table.

With the minors, generally speaking, I am with you. There haven't been too many "untouchables". Stephenson is one of them. You see an arm like his come through your organization once every 10-20 years.
    I don't get it. Stephenson wasn't unhittable or anything like it.

What makes him so "untouchable"?

I wouldn't have even had him on my list. I guess I'm missing the boat on him. I'll pay more attention to him this season.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I don't get it. Stephenson wasn't unhittable or anything like it.

What makes him so "untouchable"?

I wouldn't have even had him on my list. I guess I'm missing the boat on him. I'll pay more attention to him this season.
    Hardly anyone at age 19, is unhittable. But, guys don't come around often who throw consistent 94-98, touch 101, have a hammer curveball and a good change up. There is work to do still. His control had some times where he struggled with it. But the stuff, even it the present, is incredibly good. He is probably the best pitching prospect since Bailey was the #1 or #2 starter in the minor leagues back in 2007, and I like his profile at this point better than the one Bailey had. Bailey just had more experience at the time. Stuff wise, Stephenson is better now than Bailey was then.

Votto
    Latos
    Bruce
    Hamilton
    Chapman

Latos
    Chapman
    Stephenson
    Bailey

If I had to pick a 5th, it'd be Cingrani or Corcino.

No Votto. In today's game of baseball, no hitter should be an untouchable. If the Cardinals can lose Albert Pujols and not miss a beat offensively, then you can find ways to deal with losing any bat if you make the right moves. Give me a power rotation and you can make anything work.

1.Votto-no way hes going anywhere. probably will retire a Red and also is my pick for the face of the franchise.
    2.Latos-Need to lock him up for a few more years. Probably will be the ace of this staff someday. In a way he reminds me of a young Roger Clemens minus the splitter.
    3.Hamilton-no way he goes anywhere until they get a good look at how he performs in the big leagues.

everyone else would be available for the right price IMO
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Hardly anyone at age 19, is unhittable. But, guys don't come around often who throw consistent 94-98, touch 101, have a hammer curveball and a good change up. There is work to do still. His control had some times where he struggled with it. But the stuff, even it the present, is incredibly good. He is probably the best pitching prospect since Bailey was the #1 or #2 starter in the minor leagues back in 2007, and I like his profile at this point better than the one Bailey had. Bailey just had more experience at the time. Stuff wise, Stephenson is better now than Bailey was then.
    Golly. Thanks, Doug. I didn't know he was that good.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The way you describe him Doug Stephenson sounds like Verlander Jr. Not that he his already, but that he's got that sort upside.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

As has been stated before, there are no untouchables. These guys are my 5 least "touchable."

Votto
    Chapman
    [huge chasm]
    Bruce
    Cueto
    Latos
    Stick to your guns.

Honestly, no one is untouchable.

But for the most part......
    Votto
    Hamilton
    Hanigan
    Chapman
    Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Honestly, no one is untouchable.

But for the most part......
    Votto
    Hamilton
    Hanigan
    Chapman
    Phillips
    I basically agree on these three:

Votto - as Doug says, Mike Trout is basically the only return I'd consider.
    Chapman - his potential upside far outweighs anything you could get in return
    Hamilton - I think he's still got to be available, but only for some maximal return as well

Have to say I don't really understand why either of those guys are on your list. Don't get me wrong -- they are valuable contributors -- but my understanding of "untouchable" is that these are guys Walt isn't even listening to offers on.

BP - if someone comes offering valuable assets in return for an aging 2B with a large contract, I think you certainly listen.
    Hanigan - he has been a wonderful receiver for this staff, but definitely replaceable, and certainly not a name I take off the table in negotiations.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

1. Votto
    2. Cueto (some of the comments in this thread about the Reds' ace pitcher are hilarious)
    3. Bruce
    4. Chapman
    5. Latos

Turn Off Ads?