Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Red Sox question

Senor Votto

Red Sox question

I can't think of the name of the song but it's Neil Diamond who sings it I think. They play it during the 8th inning I think. It's driving me crazy that I can't think of the song.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Red Sox question

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I can't think of the name of the song but it's Neil Diamond who sings it I think. They play it during the 8th inning I think. It's driving me crazy that I can't think of the song.
    Sweet Caroline

The even better part is that most Red Sox fans have no idea why they do it. . . they just do it.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Sweet Caroline

The even better part is that most Red Sox fans have no idea why they do it. . . they just do it.
    YES! Thanks your a life saver. I couldn't remember the title to save my life.

Sweet Caroline

Do you know why they do it?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Do you know why they do it?
    Nope. I was looking as to why they did it and there were several articles with quotes from fans and they have no idea. Honestly, no one really knows how it happened.

Nope. I was looking as to why they did it and there were several articles with quotes from fans and they have no idea. Honestly, no one really knows how it happened.
    I don't know how true this is or where I heard it, but the story I heard is that they played it one day because someone who works at Fenway had just had a baby they named Caroline. And when they played it, a whole bunch of people started singing along, people who hang out at some bars where, for whatever reason, Sweet Caroline is this big drinking song, so all these people were already conditioned to singing along to Sweet Caroline while they were drinking. And they just kept playing it because it kept getting that reaction.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Here's your answer, straight from Beantown: http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...ained_at_last/
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Well, I told you I didn't know if it was true or not. Too bad, the baby named Caroline was my favorite part.

Well, I told you I didn't know if it was true or not. Too bad, the baby named Caroline was my favorite part.
    Jason Varitek named his daughter Caroline... but that was after the song had become a tradition.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Jason Varitek named his daughter Caroline... but that was after the song had become a tradition.
    Okay, that's cute enough for me.

Sweet Caroline is this big drinking song, so all these people were already conditioned to singing along to Sweet Caroline while they were drinking. And they just kept playing it because it kept getting that reaction.
    Exactly. I think every frat in America plays it at every party and was doing so long before it blared across the speakers at Fenway. I remember belting out the "bom bom bom" between the lyrics at the Crossroads Pub (near the corner of Mass. and Beacon) in the late 80s. My guess is it was a tradition that was at least 15 years old by that time, probably started by boozing non-hippies who were playing "Hot August Night" on a continuous loop.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?