Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Indianapolis Colts discussion

Re: 2012 Indianapolis Colts discussion....a new era

Blunder implies a mistake made through ignorance or stupity.

No Skip, the drafting of the top QB prospect in 20 years is not a blunder.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Is it a blunder that they didn't trade down and draft Russell Wilson and a lot of other players with the extra picks?
    A blunder would be the Jaguars drafting a punter instead of Russell Wilson in the 3rd round.

The Colts tab Pep Hamilton as offensive coordinator, he has never called plays before at te college or pro level, I hope this works.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

RG3 is a great QB and awfully fun to watch, but you better watch him as much as you can because with his style of play he won't be around to terribly long.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Not sure how I feel about the Bjorn pick. I do give Grigson rope after his fantastic draft last year, but from a need standpoint, I don't feel like it was a top need. I thought Hughes had a real chance to fill in at OLB. I don't know that I expected him to be as productive as DF was, but I thought he would be at least adequate there for now. He's never really been given a chance to properly succeed.

CB and Safety are desperate needs, as they seemingly were for most of the years during the Polian era sans when Bob Sanders was healthy. I thought the kid from Florida that Baltimore picked up would've been a better pick here, but I hope Grigson is right.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I trust in Grigson to draft, however his FA manuevering has been less than desirable.

Grigson did a good job in FA, his only questionable move was Waldon IMO but maybe he will be a good edge rusher. The best thing Grigson did was not hamstring the cap to
    Make a big splash. Werner is a solid pick and honestly I think we have seen enough of Hughes to know he is not good.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Grigson did a good job in FA, his only questionable move was Waldon IMO but maybe he will be a good edge rusher. The best thing Grigson did was not hamstring the cap to
    Make a big splash. Werner is a solid pick and honestly I think we have seen enough of Hughes to know he is not good.

There were many poor contracts handed out this offseason. It seemed like the Colts were responsible for half of them. For example...

Ricky Jean-Francois was given $22 million for four seasons even though he's had just five career starts.

LaRon Landry received $14 million in guarantees despite being completely unreliable in terms of staying in the lineup.

Gosder Cherilus was handed $34 million over five years for some reason. Cherilus has sucked for most of his career. Detroit fans were thrilled to see him go, and they all laughed when they saw his new contract.

Erik Walden... no comment.
    From walterfootball.com

Team confusion
    Colts GM Ryan Grigson absolutely nailed last year's draft class, and it makes sense he took some chances in free agency this offseason, because his team had a lot of roster holes and a lot of salary-cap space. Grigson didn't tie up his salary cap with too much long-term money, but he still gave big coin to a lot of players that have ranged from promising to average to sub-mediocre as pros: Tackle Gosder Cherilus, linebacker Erik Walden, cornerback Greg Toler, defensive end Ricky Jean Francois and safety LaRon Landry.
    From NFL.com

Gosder Cherilus, RT (DET)

Grade: B+

Contract: 5 years, $34.5 million ($15.5 million guaranteed)

... making him the second highest paid right tackle in the entire NFL may be a bit of a stretch. Yes, he’s good, but good enough to deserve the kind of pay day Colts owner Jim Irsay and GM Ryan Grigson gave him? We’ll have to see, but right now I’d have to say no.
    Erik Walden, LB (GB)

Grade: D-

Contract: 4 years, $16 million ($4 million guaranteed)

I at first tried to defend this. I thought to myself that ILB Jerrell Freeman, a CFL player, was unknown and untested when the Colts signed him. So maybe Walden, who in 5 seasons has never totaled more than 60 tackles, might be a diamond in the rough. .... For this to be worth it, Walden has to develop into a Pro Bowl linebacker in no more than 2 years. Otherwise, this will officially be Grigson’s first “WTF” moment.
    http://isportsweb.com/2013/03/27/ind...e-agent-class/

How do you have 40 million plus to play with, spend most of it, and come home with this? Landry will be lucky to play 12 games, Cherilous is way over priced and for 5 years, Walden is a joke, Jean Francois is marginal talent given front line money, I like DHB, Toler can't stay healthy, throw in some depth interior lineman on the cheap and you have a 10 year old with birthday money in his pocket buying the first couple video games he sees and then spending his last 2$ on 12 slap bracelets and a pack of skittles. I'm rooting for all of this to somehow work out, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    From walterfootball.com

From NFL.com

http://isportsweb.com/2013/03/27/ind...e-agent-class/

How do you have 40 million plus to play with, spend most of it, and come home with this? Landry will be lucky to play 12 games, Cherilous is way over priced and for 5 years, Walden is a joke, Jean Francois is marginal talent given front line money, I like DHB, Toler can't stay healthy, throw in some depth interior lineman on the cheap and you have a 10 year old with birthday money in his pocket buying the first couple video games he sees and then spending his last 2$ on 12 slap bracelets and a pack of skittles. I'm rooting for all of this to somehow work out, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.
    We will see, those guys are writers not experts. Grigson took chicken bleep and made chicken salad out of it last year so I am a believer.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-29-2013)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Bills acquired OLB Jerry Hughes from the Colts in exchange for ILB Kelvin Sheppard.

Ex-Colts GM Bill Polian's first-round picks from 2005 through 2010: DB Marlin Jackson, RB Joseph Addai, WR Anthony Gonzalez, RB Donald Brown, and OLB Hughes. Three are out of the league. Only Brown is still on the Colts, and he isn't any good. Hughes, the 31st overall pick in the 2010 draft, has five sacks through 40 NFL games with seven starts. Sheppard was a disappointment in Buffalo, so the teams are simply swapping players they no longer wanted. Apr 29 - 1:29 PM
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5838/jerry-hughes
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Kind of hack writing there, Two of those picks were mainstays on a Super Bowl team and Don Brown is productive when healthy.
    Last edited by redsfanmia; 04-29-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Stat geek...and proud
    Donald Brown isn't very good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Donald Brown isn't very good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    He is productive when healthy, the last two years he has turned the corner. He is not a star but he is a solid 3 down back. He is a disappointment as a first rounder but I wouldn't go as far as to say he isn't very good. He has averaged 4.1 ypc but has had a hard time saying on the field.
    Last edited by redsfanmia; 04-29-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Kind of hack writing there, Two of those picks were mainstays on a Super Bowl team and Don Brown is productive when healthy.
    I also found it to be quite odd.

Keep in mind that Rotoworld writers tends to view everything from the fantasy sports standpoint.

I also agree with you regarding Donald Brown. I wouldn't write him off just yet.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Bayless is a moron, don't pay attention.
    I agree.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?