Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Starting Rotation Under Price

2014 Starting Rotation Under Price

Price makes it tricky.

He has wanted Chappy to start, apparently.

He is tight with Bailey, apparently. Homer likes him.

Cueto, Cingrani, Leake, Chapman, Bailey, Latos.

Doesn't that make six?

These guys are too good to be insurance policies for injuries.

If Chapman starts, shouldn't Cingrani start? Tony is a starter at this point.

What gives?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2014 Starting Rotation Under Price

It will be interesting. I'd loooooooove to have 2 LHs in the rotation. That would be a tremendous advantage.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

If I had to bet, I'd lean towards extending Homer & Latos, dealing Cueto.

Latos, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani, Chapman.

5. Likes:

malcontent (10-22-2013),Old school 1983 (10-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    If I had to bet, I'd lean towards extending Homer & Latos, dealing Cueto.

Latos, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani, Chapman.
    I tend to agree.

He always seems to be a wildcard to me...is he going to be healthy? Is he going to have his stuff?

Baker always commented that Cueto could pick right back up where he left off when coming of the DL because his mechanics were so good...I always thought his mechanics were sloppy....but then again I'm no pitching coach.

Never thought of that. Maybe deal Cueto and save the $20 he is due the next 2 seasons.

Cueto for Profar?
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    I tend to agree.

He always seems to be a wildcard to me...is he going to be healthy? Is he going to have his stuff?
    I agree that his health is an unknown recently, but his stuff? When he's healthy, he's been one of the more consistent NL pitchers over the past two years.

I assume we'll have a clearer idea about Chapman in the rotation after today's press conference.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Bailey gon get traded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

11. Likes:

757690 (10-22-2013),RiverRat13 (10-22-2013)

I think Cueto would be the ideal person to deal, because long term I think there are doubts about his health. But, from what people have said here on RZ, it seems Homer doesn't like it in Cincy. I'd rather have a question mark with Cueto and deal Homer, than deal Cueto and lose Homer in the offseason. If what the OP says is true, that Homer is tight with Price, that may help get him resigned. Time will tell.

Who would net a bigger return, Cueto or Homer? Career wise, Cueto has better numbers. But he has had several injuries over the years and only one 200 IP season. And of course that one season ended with an injury in the 1st inning of the NLDS. Homer has been a workhorse the past two years, while managing to put up respectable numbers, with a couple of no-nos thrown in.

This post seems a bit rambling, but I don't feel like fixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I agree that his health is an unknown recently, but his stuff? When he's healthy, he's been one of the more consistent NL pitchers over the past two years.
    I really mean is he going to have his stuff after coming off those injuries...because he does seem to be fragile.

My last and most recent image of him is, not only did he not have his stuff, but he was completely rattled, which really surprised me.

Coming off an injury, Cueto has very little trade value. Bailey on the other hand...
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Bailey has one year left, then FA. So makes sense to trade. But -- with Price, he could re-sign. They apparently work very well together.

Chapman? I wouldn't trade that arm. Just me, but I'm not trading Chappy locked up for two years with all the injuries on the staff. His healthy arm is critical to the Reds, however he's used.

Cueto? Good idea but given his injuries does he still have the value. He missed most of the 2013 season and his pitching motion looks like an injury waiting to happen.

Cingrani is cheap and good. No trade. Latos is the ace and not a FA. No trade.

Leake? I wouldn't trade him that easily, he's a healthy easy motion guy who can be a fourth starter at a decent price, expensive but not overly so.

This is a tough call.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Bailey has one year left, then FA. So makes sense to trade. But -- with Price, he could re-sign. They apparently work very well together.

Chapman? I wouldn't trade that arm. Just me, but I'm not trading Chappy locked up for two years with all the injuries on the staff. His healthy arm is critical to the Reds, however he's used.

Cueto? Good idea but given his injuries does he still have the value. He missed most of the 2013 season and his pitching motion looks like an injury waiting to happen.

Cingrani is cheap and good. No trade. Latos is the ace and not a FA. No trade.

Leake? I wouldn't trade him that easily, he's a healthy easy motion guy who can be a fourth starter at a decent price, expensive but not overly so.

This is a tough call.
    Bailey, even if he wants to stay, will be too expensive to keep. And let's face it, he's good, but not great. He's a solid #3 starter who at times can look like a #1 starter. He's not worth a long term, $100M contract, which is what it will take to keep him.

It's a pretty easy decision for me.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

17. Likes:

BillDoran (10-22-2013),Crumbley (10-26-2013),Drugs Delaney (10-23-2013),joshua (10-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Bailey, even if he wants to stay, will be too expensive to keep. And let's face it, he's good, but not great. He's a solid #3 starter who at times can look like a #1 starter. He's not worth a long term, $100M contract, which is what it will take to keep him.

It's a pretty easy decision for me.
    You may well be right, and who's to say Homer would forego free agency anyway. This is a business regardless of his relationship with Price.

On the other hand -- the Reds may worry about the injuries. Cueto, Cingrani. Even Latos now with the clean out surgery.

They might figure trading one of the healthiest arms right now is unwise.

So maybe they keep Homer for next season and play out the free agency string. But that leaves six potential starters.

Interesting.

Having six guys is a Good Thing. For various reasons.

Turn Off Ads?