Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

CE,

Best thing I did in between rounds was simple drills for 5-10 minutes a day working on some of the pointers RH gave me. Helped with muscle memory, and I didn't have to do too much thinking about mechanics mid-round. Just swing the club. It's worked pretty well.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I've got a round tomorrow morning at 10 with some friends -- hoping to see if any of my work at the practice tee is taking.

Got my PW back tonight -- the words "Golf Pride" could not be any more obnoxious on the side now.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Dubsdread is my daddy. I'm completely humbled.

Hybrid help!

I am kicking around the idea of adding a hybrid to my golf bag. I am not a big fan of woods, I love hitting my irons and am a very good iron player but struggle at times with my woods. I currently have a Ping G10 driver, a Titleist 975F 3 wood, a mizuno hi-fi driving 2 iron, and 2-PW mizuno MP-14 irons. I switch out my 2 iron and my 3 wood depending on which one I want to play at the time.

I guess my question is what does an 18 degree hybrid compare to? And to those who have gone the hybrid route what are your thoughts on the clubs? I don't know if I should go the route of getting a new 3 wood or heading they hybrid route.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Hybrid help!

I am kicking around the idea of adding a hybrid to my golf bag. I am not a big fan of woods, I love hitting my irons and am a very good iron player but struggle at times with my woods. I currently have a Ping G10 driver, a Titleist 975F 3 wood, a mizuno hi-fi driving 2 iron, and 2-PW mizuno MP-14 irons. I switch out my 2 iron and my 3 wood depending on which one I want to play at the time.

I guess my question is what does an 18 degree hybrid compare to? And to those who have gone the hybrid route what are your thoughts on the clubs? I don't know if I should go the route of getting a new 3 wood or heading they hybrid route.

I believe the 18 deg. hybrid is typically a 2 iron. I have had mine (2 iron 18 deg loft) in my bag for the past year and a half and absolutely love it. I can hit it just about anywhere and for someone that is good with their irons, it feels much more like an iron than a wood when you are hitting it. Also, for those that like to use a 3 wood to put when you are off the green, the hybrid works better there too IMO. I don't do that too often, but it works. I am even thinking about looking into a 3 iron hybrid even though I hit my 3 iron decent. I am just a lot more consistent with the hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Hybrid help!

Hybrids are great. I have 2 Cleveland Hybrids. One is a 15.5 and the other is 20.5. I alter between my 3 iron and 3 hybrid depending on the course. I hit the 1 hybrid (15.5) about 240 in the air and the 3 hybrid about 220 in the air. Even though I have a 1 hybrid, I still carry a 13 degree 3 wood.

An 18 degree will be similar to a 2-iron. You could probably get an 18 hybrid and take out both of your 2 irons and then keep the 3 wood in the bag all the time.

Also, if your more of an iron player, you may want to consider ordering your hybrid with a steel shaft. Both of mine are steel-shafted. I'm of the opinion that hybrids are accuracy clubs, not distance clubs. I'd rather give up a few yards for more fairways and greens.

I'd recommend hitting different company's hybrids to see which brand you like. Then, try to find one that goes the distance you're looking for, regardless of what the degree of the club says. Good luck!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Not sure how well you can tell, but I feel like I've made a solid amount of progress with my swing. I haven't tried the floatie drill, but I've been hitting it pretty solid.

I played great in Myrtle Beach. Shot 75-73-78 (from 7,200 yards), and 73. On the 1st 73 I shot, I had a 35 on the front with 2 three putts, and 2 missed 6 foot birdie putts (I've never shot lower than 33). No possible way I should have shot over par, but somehow I managed to.

I played with a guy out there that was putting it 20 yards past me, and sometimes about 40 yards. He was for sure a bomber, but I'm not used to guys blowing it past me. I don't mind sacrificing length for accurracy, and I've been more accurate off the tee, but I can't help but think that I'm wasting power somewhere. Probably shouldn't concern myself with it too much, but its usually the biggest strength in my game.

YouTube - ‪#18 oak meadows‬‏

Just got back from South Carolina. Played no golf, despite my parents living at True Blue/Caledonia, but I just can't pull myself away from our kids, crabbing and the beach for five hours to play golf. It's all right- I've played plenty of rounds down there and I don't mind trading a round of golf for teaching my son how to line catch blue crab.
    At least I did make it to some nice putt putt courses.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I've also been doing some drills at the range to keep my elbow down, to somewhat mixed results.

I'm on somewhat of a mad-scientist kick, trying to figure out how to keep my drives straight. I made a weird change when I was goofing around on one session a week or so ago, and it's actually produced some amazing results. It looks 3 kinds of screwed up (my hands are way out in front to start, with the club-face squared), but it's really working -- putting the ball 300+ and straight on a regular basis now.

I wish I could just do things the right way, but it's nice to have something working for a change.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I need some help from the Cincinnati golfers. Me and a couple friends are coming down for the 12:35 Reds game on Wednesday and are thinking about golfing somewhere after the game down in the Cincy area. We are coming from Columbus so it would be ideal if the course is somewhere on the way back towards Columbus.

I checked out golfnow.com but the only tee time around 4:30-4:45 that was somewhat on the way back to Columbus was in Hamilton.

What course would you suggest us to check out? Ideally, the rate would be somewhere in the $25-35 range. We are casual golfers who might hit in the 90s on a good round.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    I need some help from the Cincinnati golfers. Me and a couple friends are coming down for the 12:35 Reds game on Wednesday and are thinking about golfing somewhere after the game down in the Cincy area. We are coming from Columbus so it would be ideal if the course is somewhere on the way back towards Columbus.

I checked out golfnow.com but the only tee time around 4:30-4:45 that was somewhat on the way back to Columbus was in Hamilton.

What course would you suggest us to check out? Ideally, the rate would be somewhere in the $25-35 range. We are casual golfers who might hit in the 90s on a good round.

Thanks
    With leagues at most public courses, it'll be challenging to get a tee-time in that time frame. Glenview might be an option since they have 3 9's. And it's not too far out of the way. Outside of that, I'm not sure what to tell you. My course, Sharon Woods will be packed at that time.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    With leagues at most public courses, it'll be challenging to get a tee-time in that time frame. Glenview might be an option since they have 3 9's. And it's not too far out of the way. Outside of that, I'm not sure what to tell you. My course, Sharon Woods will be packed at that time.
    I just thought about the league situation once I posted the request. We may be out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Not sure how well you can tell, but I feel like I've made a solid amount of progress with my swing. I haven't tried the floatie drill, but I've been hitting it pretty solid.

I played great in Myrtle Beach. Shot 75-73-78 (from 7,200 yards), and 73. On the 1st 73 I shot, I had a 35 on the front with 2 three putts, and 2 missed 6 foot birdie putts (I've never shot lower than 33). No possible way I should have shot over par, but somehow I managed to.

I played with a guy out there that was putting it 20 yards past me, and sometimes about 40 yards. He was for sure a bomber, but I'm not used to guys blowing it past me. I don't mind sacrificing length for accurracy, and I've been more accurate off the tee, but I can't help but think that I'm wasting power somewhere. Probably shouldn't concern myself with it too much, but its usually the biggest strength in my game.

YouTube - ‪#18 oak meadows‬‏
    Your swing looks good. Keep it up!

Well, a buddy and I ended up playing at Walden Ponds yesterday. It was a very nice course from our experience. Then we got hit with a torrential down pour on the 4th hole (played the back 9 first) and had to drive back in it and got soaked!

I'm thinking about adding this club to my bag. What do you guys think?

http://uroclub.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?