Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hot Stove League show report

Hot Stove League show report

Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show recap for 3-24-09.

Jeff Brantley was the host tonight and he started off by talking about the rotation. He said that Harang isn't going to be traded. He said Volquez is the #2 starter, Arroyo, #3 and Cueto #4. He is in favor of keeping Homer in the big leagues in the bullpen. He said when he came up, everyone started out in the bullpen. He said Homer has had a solid spring and has done a 180 pitching wise. He said Cordero was lights out yesterday and he isn't worried about him. He's been surprised at what Dickerson has brought to the table offensively and defensively. They like Gomes but thinks he strikes out too much. Jeff has been impressed with McDonald.

The first caller wanted to send Homer to AAA because he's too young for the big leagues. He also thinks Dickerson reminds him of Eric Davis. Jeff disagreed about Homer and said Dickerson has to go a ways to be in Davis' league.

The next caller wanted to keep Homer. He also thinks the Reds will be 20 games better than they were last year.

The next caller asked if Homer has a better attitude. Jeff said he does and had about a half hour conversation with him this spring about pitching and Jeff feels he's really matured.

The next caller wants Homer as the long man out of the pen beause there's less pressure.

The next caller didn't feel Massett should get a job cause he's out of options. He feels it's going to be tough to keep Keppinger. Jeff thinks if Gonzo can't answer the bell, the Reds have several options in house like Hairston and Janish and Keppinger. Jeff said Kepp has hit the ball hard but it's been right at people.

The next caller asked if Herrera would make the team. Jeff said probably not.

The next caller asked about the catching position. Jeff said the Reds are set there with Hanigan who he feels will be the catcher of the future. He said Tatum and Meseraco have both had good springs.

The next caller asked if Frazier or Valaika would replace Gonzo if he couldn't go. Jeff said that it would probably be Hairston or Janish who has the best defensive tools in the organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hot Stove League show report

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The next caller didn't feel Massett should get a job cause he's out of options. He feels it's going to be tough to keep Keppinger. Jeff thinks if Gonzo can't answer the bell, the Reds have several options in house like Hairston and Janish and Keppinger. Jeff said Kepp has hit the ball hard but it's been right at people.
    I've seen Keppinger play four games this spring (two on TV, two in person) and each game he went 0-fer and hit weak groundballs in nearly every atbat.

Thanks for the report Chip!

I just don't see how Keppinger deserves a roster spot after his awful season last year and his awful spring. Does half a good year in 2007 assure him a spot for 2009?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I've seen Keppinger play four games this spring (two on TV, two in person) and each game he went 0-fer and hit weak groundballs in nearly every atbat.

Thanks for the report Chip!
    Guys like Keppinger merely hit the ball weekly instead of striking out when they don't get good pitches to hit. On rare occasion the weekly hit ball still finds a hole, and this pushes up their batting average whereas there's no chance of the strikeout becoming a hit. On some occasions, the weekly hit ball and ground in to an untimely double play. It tends to balance out.

Not that I give any credence to ST numbers, but I'd be more worried about the of walks & doubles. The singles are bound to come in streaks.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Another thing to keep in mind about Keppinger is that he qualifies for arbitration after this season, and the Reds may want to trade him before they have to consider offering a big pay raise to keep him around. If it were me, I'd be looking to trade him, and if there are no suitors, I'd hope he starts hot out of the gate to garner trade interest. And if he doesn't, I'd DFA him.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I just don't see how Keppinger deserves a roster spot after his awful season last year and his awful spring. Does half a good year in 2007 assure him a spot for 2009?
    Uh, excuse me? Keppinger was the reds BEST player when he fouled that ball off his knee. That happened in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    Uh, excuse me? Keppinger was the reds BEST player when he fouled that ball off his knee. That happened in 2008.
    And he ended up hitting .266/.310/.346.

I know when he fouled the ball of his knee. You are excused.

I'm not sure he was the team's best player, but he was close to it. He deserves an opportunity to come back from injury and find himself. Maybe a DL stint and a rehab assignment if necessary.

Thing is, that with both Hairston and a healthy Keppinger on the bench, the Reds have two very good, versatile, utility players on the bench.

I appreciate the desire to see Rosales in the major leagues. But I watched Keppinger in the second half of 2007 and the first half of 2008. He was a strong OBP man, a consistent hitter, and a sure handed fielder. He played as a starter -- and held his own. If he can return to form as a bench player, the Reds are that much stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    And he ended up hitting .266/.310/.346.

I know when he fouled the ball of his knee. You are excused.
    If you know, then why do you post these numbers? Look at Keppinger's number for April, May and June of last year. I will take those numbers from my UTIL man anytime.

Like Keppinger or not.....fine, but don't use misleading numbersf make inaccurate statements to support not wanting him on the Reds.

High five!

He was?

Well, let's see. Here's Kep:

Code:
      G   PA  AB  R   H  2B 3B HR RBI  BB IBB  SO HBP  SH  SF GDP  SB CS   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS
    +---+---+---+---+---+--+--+--+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+-----+-----+-----+-----+
      39 163 148  17  48  7  1  3  21  12   1   8   0   2   1   7   2  0  .324  .373  .446  .819
    This guy also played a key defensive position. I wonder how his season played out?

Code:
      G   PA  AB  R   H  2B 3B HR RBI  BB IBB  SO HBP  SH  SF GDP  SB CS   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS
    +---+---+---+---+---+--+--+--+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+-----+-----+-----+-----+
      31 109  99  12  30  5  2  4  14  10   1  24   0   0   0   1   0  1  .303  .367  .515  .882
    Now this guy didn't play as premium a defensive position but he seemed to hit the ball far:

Code:
      36 123 111  21  32  7  0  8  20  12   0  22   0   0   0   3   1  1  .288  .358  .568  .926
    This guy was doing pretty well up to that point as well:

Code:
      38 160 149  22  42 10  2  7  18  10   1  28   0   0   1   4   6  2  .282  .325  .517  .842
    It seems a number of players could've hung their hat on the Reds "MVP (through May 13th)" award.

High five!

If you know, then why do you post these numbers? Look at Keppinger's number for April, May and June of last year. I will take those numbers from my UTIL man anytime.

Like Keppinger or not.....fine, but don't use misleading numbersf make inaccurate statements to support not wanting him on the Reds.
    Before:

Code:
      39 163 148  17  48  7  1  3  21  12   1   8   0   2   1   7   2  0  .324  .373  .446  .819
    After:

Code:
      82 339 311  28  74 17  1  0  22  18   2  16   2   4   4   7   1  1  .238  .281  .299  .580
    What's misleading about it? That's what he did. He was Corey Patterson without the defense or speed after returning from his injury.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I appreciate the desire to see Rosales in the major leagues. But I watched Keppinger in the second half of 2007 and the first half of 2008. He was a strong OBP man, a consistent hitter, and a sure handed fielder. He played as a starter -- and held his own. If he can return to form as a bench player, the Reds are that much stronger.
    Yeah, in some 200 odd ABs out of nearly 900 in his career, he had a decent OBP, other than that he's a BA-driven on base man with few other skills. He has fall down range and not enough pop to stick at a corner spot.

And I liked the guy on heavy IsoD and SLG-driven teams of yesteryear because they were missing a nice contact hitter but now I think he's a square peg in search of a round hole. Especially so on a team that's preaching "speed and defense."

I say, get him detailed, take some nice high-res photos and spring for the fancy headers on eBay.

Nate, I wasn't the one saying all this back last June.....I don't care much about what an IsoD says because I am not interested in drafting Keppinger in my Fantasy League.

I was there, I watched game after game.......I listened myself to everybody from Chris Welch to Dusty Baker say he was......

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Nate, I wasn't the one saying all this back last June.....I don't care much about what an IsoD says because I am not interested in drafting Keppinger in my Fantasy League.

I was there, I watched game after game.......I listened myself to everybody from Chris Welch to Dusty Baker say he was......
    Well, if Welch or The Dusty said so then it must be true...

It happens every Spring....

Redzoners go on this "high-roaded" high-horse that the Manager and the ex-player turned broadcaster are clueless and they only the best RZ posters know the truth.

I don't know, I have liked and disliked broadcasters and managers and have called them out on this board and others, but the sarcasm just is a bit too much for me....but I have softened on them over the year....for sure.

Turn Off Ads?