Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Juan Francisco

Juan Francisco

I am wondering why Jocketty didn't snatch Juan Francisco back up after Atlanta released him? He is hitting .255 with 17 HR and 45 RBI. He would provide a potent option off our bench as well as spot starting at 3B and 1B.
    Acquiring Hoover was great, but it would have been sweet to get Francisco back. I guess giving Hannahan a 2 year deal wasn't really that smart.

Our bench would be:

Hanigan
    X Paul
    Francisco
    Heisey
    Hannahan or Izturis ( depends on which one they wanted to keep)

I know I would rather have Juan Francisco instead of Jack Hannahan.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Juan Francisco

That's a tough call. Hannahan or Francisco.

I might have to get back to you on that one.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I would guess that Milwaukee had first dibs through the waiver process.

On a separate note, Juan is playing a lot of 1B, which helps cover his defensive flaws, and he wouldn't have that luxury here.

5. Likes:

klw (08-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    I would guess that Milwaukee had first dibs through the waiver process.

On a separate note, Juan is playing a lot of 1B, which helps cover his defensive flaws, and he wouldn't have that luxury here.
    This. Walt didn't have a chance to grab him off waivers. Of course he could have traded for him, but he would be a 3rd baseman in Cincy. At 3B his defense is beyond suspect. To be honest, he is awful. He would actually be a rather good pickup in the AL where he could DH and play 1st.

And I would say that the Juan Francisco ship in Cincinnati has sailed. Seemed like he hadn't done what was expected of him leading up to spring training and in spring training last season.

He’s got time but he’s behind. Part of that is if he had rehabbed properly in the winter time. Part of that is he came into camp as one of the few guys overweight. The guys that came in ready, I can’t shelve them because he didn’t. I’m trying him ready the best I can. We need him. … Then he’s got to stop eating.
    That's from Dusty at the beginning of March, 2012.

8. Likes:

Always Red (08-16-2013)

Did Dusty really say he has to stop eating? lol
    Last edited by reds44; 08-15-2013 at 09:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I just looked over his line and I was shocked to see his 8.7% BB rate. That is great for him.

Fangraphs fielding rating sure doesn't like him though. 0.0 fWAR even after that BB rate bump and 17 HR.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Did Dusty really say he has to stop eating? lol
    From what I've seen he hasn't taken Dusty's advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Saw a tweet by John Fay saying that Francisco's 11 homers leads the NL since June 25. Very good numbers since JF joined the Brewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Saw a tweet by John Fay saying that Francisco's 11 homers leads the NL since June 25. Very good numbers since JF joined the Brewers.
    Watch him hit 2 tonight. <sigh>
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I just looked over his line and I was shocked to see his 8.7% BB rate. That is great for him.
    It is both surprising and it isn't.

I remember that his last full season in AAA that I made a comment that he actually showed plenty of plate discipline.... until he got to the point where he had 3 balls in the count, then he would essentially just refuse to walk unless it bounced or was feet (with E's, not O's) outside. It seems that someone finally convinced him that walking wasn't a terrible thing.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Watch him hit 2 tonight. <sigh>
    Still doesn't hit lefties well, no problem in Cingrani game.

In all fairness to the Reds, the Braves did not release him.
    They DFAed him. Milwaukee sent a pitching prospect to Atlanta for Juan.

Even though JF has been playing well in Milwaukee. I'm glad we didn't send a prospect for him.
    Heck, I wouldn't want him for free either. He just would not work on this team. I doubt he'd be happy being just a PH either. Plus, I really don't want to see Izturus get all the starts that Hannigan would've gotten either (Dusty is unlikely to start JF at 3b when Frazier gets a day off)

Seems the Reds had problems with JF and dealt him.. Why bring him back?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?