Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential September call up

Potential September call up

Zach Duke re-signed with the Reds, but has an opt out clause giving him free agency on Sept 2 if he so desires. What are the odds that the Reds make room for him on the 40-man to call him up in September?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Potential September call up

Quote Originally Posted by wastedtime View Post
    Zach Duke re-signed with the Reds, but has an opt out clause giving him free agency on Sept 2 if he so desires. What are the odds that the Reds make room for him on the 40-man to call him up in September?
    Iffy. If the Reds decide to Add Lorenzon and Hamilton, both realistic possibilities, or Stephenson (longer shot) while activating Marshall from the 60 day DL, they would need to create a bunch of spots. Moving Cueto to the 60 day DL would be 1. DFAs of Lotzkar, Ravin and Freeman might be the others.

Villareal vs. Duke I'd guess. I'd make all those moves if it was my team.

Have to think Corky will be activated and Partch and Robinson will be back as well.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-18-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Iffy. If the Reds decide to Add Lorenzon and Hamilton, both realistic possibilities, or Stephenson (longer shot) while activating Marshall from the 60 day DL, they would need to create a bunch of spots. Moving Cueto to the 60 day DL would be 1. DFAs of Lotzkar, Ravin and Freeman might be the others.

Villareal vs. Duke I'd guess. I'd make all those moves if it was my team.

Have to think Corky will be activated and Partch and Robinson will be back as well.
    Based on Villarreal's performance in the minors and majors, I wouldn't mind dropping him off the 40-man to make room for Duke as well. Duke has been lights out with Louisville this season.

Based on Villarreal's performance in the minors and majors, I wouldn't mind dropping him off the 40-man to make room for Duke as well. Duke has been lights out with Louisville this season.
    Agree with this. I simply don't see major-league value in Villarreal. The Reds, however, have handled him as if they do. Baffles me.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Iffy. If the Reds decide to Add Lorenzon
    Who??? Michael Lorenzon? How on earth is this a realistic possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    According to Redsof72, scouts were thinking that was a possibility. He's been promoted rather quickly, but I can't see him getting a call up until next season at the earliest.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

At this point I expect it to happen.

I don't think anybody is projecting him to be a major cog in the bullpen or anything like that but it would not be completely surprising to see him called up. Between his college season and his time in the minors he has only thrown 40 innings or so.

Throw in the fact the minor league season ends 1st week of September and it certainly would not shock me if they bring him up for bullpen mop up duty just to get some innings under his belt.

Fast track. Guy's in the plans for 2014 IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I say put him in Left field a few times.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    I say put him in Left field a few times.
    That is probably the reason he is being promoted so aggressively.....

The Reds want him to pitch. Give him a taste of big time baseball as a pitcher and convince him that is what will get him there.

13. Likes:

757690 (08-18-2013)

I haven't heard anything about Greg Reynolds for awhile. Is he still pitching for the Bats? Is he a call up possibility?

-The Insider-

I haven't heard anything about Greg Reynolds for awhile. Is he still pitching for the Bats? Is he a call up possibility?
    He is still in Louisville sporting a 1.86 ERA in August. The 40-man roster is really tight at the moment so I say it's highly doubtful for him to be added back on come September.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    He is still in Louisville sporting a 1.86 ERA in August. The 40-man roster is really tight at the moment so I say it's highly doubtful for him to be added back on come September.
    Cingrani's back may have something to say about that

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Cingrani's back may have something to say about that
    From what I understand, Cingrani's injury is a nagging injury, but it's not debilitating. He shouldn't have any problem playing through it.

Turn Off Ads?