Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buster Olney on Homer Bailey

Buster Olney on Homer Bailey

From his latest ESPN Insider blog...

• The stock of Cincinnati prospect Homer Bailey seems to have taken a dramatic tumble in the past year. Talent evaluators say the Reds have demonstrated a clear willingness to deal Bailey, while coveting fellow prospect Johnny Cueto. And rival teams have grown increasingly skeptical about whether the young right-hander will make the adjustments necessary to become a successful big league pitcher. "What you hear is that [Bailey] is someone who thinks he's got it all figured out," one evaluator said.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Buster Olney on Homer Bailey

Well he is getting pretty old to expect he figures much anything else out.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I wonder if he "heard" this from Hal McCoy?
    /r/reds

I think Wayne has been willing to deal Bailey the entire offseason. He either couldn't get what he wanted for him or he found no takers for Homer's services.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I think Wayne has been willing to deal Bailey the entire offseason. He either couldn't get what he wanted for him or he found no takers for Homer's services.
    I think its likely that he wasn't able to get the top end pitching he wanted for Bailey so he chose to hold onto him. I highly doubt there weren't takers for his services, but that there weren't takers willing to pay what the Reds were likely asking for.

keep it up, Buster. Writers like you are turning Homer into the new Steve Carlton. Which works for me.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    You raise an interesting point here. Wayne has cut loose many "talent evaluators" from the Reds organization in the past couple of years. Some of them were bitter when they left and probably have an ax to grind. Could the bitter guys be poisoning the trade well for Wayne by telling this "truth" about Homer to everyone in the scouting world who will listen?
    /r/reds

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    You raise an interesting point here. Wayne has cut loose many "talent evaluators" from the Reds organization in the past couple of years. Some of them were bitter when they left and probably have an ax to grind. Could the bitter guys be poisoning the trade well for Wayne by telling this "truth" about Homer to everyone in the scouting world who will listen?
    Excellent point. That could very well be happening. Hard to say with anonymous sources. Certainly not unheard of.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I wonder if he "heard" this from Hal McCoy?
    I believe you've got the sourcing nailed.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    I think its likely that he wasn't able to get the top end pitching he wanted for Bailey so he chose to hold onto him. I highly doubt there weren't takers for his services, but that there weren't takers willing to pay what the Reds were likely asking for.
    Yep, I'd think that's likely it, though I think it's a bit of an ice water bath that more clubs weren't clamoring for his services and I think that might have caused some skepticism to creep into the Reds' minds concerning Bailey.

FWIW, I don't consider that a bad thing. It might mean they don't push him as hard and give him the space to mature rather than demand he mature in 10 seconds or else. Not having everyone be in love with his arm and expecting him to be the next big thing could be the best thing in the world for Homer Bailey.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    FWIW, I don't consider that a bad thing. It might mean they don't push him as hard and give him the space to mature rather than demand he mature in 10 seconds or else. Not having everyone be in love with his arm and expecting him to be the next big thing could be the best thing in the world for Homer Bailey.
    It certainly isn't going to hurt Bailey to spend some time in AAA. He, like almost everyone else, has things he needs to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It certainly isn't going to hurt Bailey to spend some time in AAA. He, like almost everyone else, has things he needs to work on.
    The question then becomes does he have a coach in AAA that he would listen to? For some reason I don't see Ted Power as that guy.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Who are you and why are you wearing doug's skin and claiming to be him?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Who are you and why are you wearing doug's skin and claiming to be him?
    I have never said that AAA would hurt Bailey, I have just said that being in MLB would help him learn quicker.

I'll say it again: you're only an uberprospect once.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'll say it again: you're only an uberprospect once.
    Ive said it before and will say it again also:
    You aren't always at your top value while you are a prospect.

Turn Off Ads?