Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ramon Hernandez

Ramon Hernandez

I think that it is safe to say that the Reds will not pick up his option next year.That said he has been a nice addition and I wouldn't mind seeing him come back.If the Reds are paying him his buy out money I wonder how much Ramon and his agent will consider that if the Reds are bidding for his services against other teams for 2010.He has seemed to like being in Cincinnati and it wouldn't surprise me if he wants to come back.We will need to sign a catcher for next year anyways so why not Hernandez.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ramon Hernandez

We need to spend money in other places.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    We need to spend money in other places.
    For sure.But we do need to sign a catcher.I'm just wondering if Hernandez will be an affordable option considering we will already be paying him some buyout money.Possibly he would give the Reds a nice discount considering that and also the belief that he has likes being in here.

We do need a back up catcher, Ramon isnt going to sign for league minimum which we would likely need him to do. I dont really want him back as the starter. I think Hannigan has the better bat and better D. I dont see Ramon accepting a back up roll.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I think Hannigan has the better bat and better D. I don't see Ramon accepting a back up roll.
    I agree and I don't think Dusty would make him the back up.That alone is probably good enough reason not to sign him.I still keep going back to how nice it has been to have 2 quality catchers on the roster compared to what we have had in past years.I fear for what we might see as a back up next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I agree and I don't think Dusty would make him the back up.That alone is probably good enough reason not to sign him.I still keep going back to how nice it has been to have 2 quality catchers on the roster compared to what we have had in past years.I fear for what we might see as a back up next year.
    We have had no problem finding back up catchers, we just normally start them heh.

I have given Ramon a lot of credit for the fill-in work he did at 1B while Joey was out. It was an unfamiliar position for Ramon, and he did very well for us.

That being said, I think Hanigan has earned the everyday job, and should get it. Ramon is probably a little too pricey for what he produces.

Is Tatum the answer for backup ? He hasn't been horrible so far during his cup of coffee this year.

Turn Off Ads?