Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Pretty Good Insight

Re: Pretty Good Insight

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Juan Pierre career 5.8% career percentage. Wonder why Reds didn't sign him to hit clean-up with Ludwick out all that time.

Probably because they had Hanigan and his 10% already on the roster which is also far superior to BP's 14%.
    Ah, so this was bait for an argument. Got it. And I love how everyone on here dogs Doc for writing things as they are. Same thing goes for the criticism of Marty. If you can't handle the truth, then stay off the radio and out of the paper. I for one would rather hear both sides than listen to a bunch of homers say it's sunny outside when, in fact, the weather sucks.
    Last edited by armybrat45103; 08-29-2013 at 05:42 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Again, not what I am saying.

I am saying that, in most cases, those that criticize with the amount of venom that Doc gets here at RedsZone, usually have zero talent of their own. In anything. If they did, then the perspective from said talent would keep that kind of venom in check.

RedLegJake actually illustrated this point rather well:

Anyone bashing Doc for his writing, clearly has ZERO concept of how difficult it is to write 1500+ words a day about sports. How easy it must be to sit and pick apart every word he writes while simultaneously patting oneself on the back.

"I could do that soooo much better, and so could all my buddies here at RedsZone. Amiright, guys?!?!"

Laughable.
    I suppose I can just ignore anything negative ever said about my restaurant on yelp.

Thank you Mr. Daug.....er.....Sheed, for helping me clear my conscience.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I suppose I can just ignore anything negative ever said about my restaurant on yelp.

Thank you Mr. Daug.....er.....Sheed, for helping me clear my conscience.
    Once again: where is my freaking turkey club?

Quote Originally Posted by armybrat45103 View Post
    Ah, so this was bait for an argument. Got it.
    One, I didn't ask the question.

Two, lack of strikeouts don't correlate with RBI's.

Just pointing that out since it was your way of describing why Phillips has so many RBI's.

The reason Phillips has so many RBI's is a product almost entirely of the following:

1. He hits behind two of the most prolific people in baseball at getting on base

2. Phillips has hit exceedingly well, and above his career norms (suggesting a non-repeatable skill at the level Phillips is producing) with runners on base and runners in scoring position.

3. Generally yes your point about Phillips being a good contact hitter can help in certain situations (such as runner on 3rd, 1 out where getting the bat on the ball instead of K'ing can lead to a better chance of knocking in that particular run). Phillips does have some skills in that area and it seems he adjusts his approach in certain situations to do that, however, this would only be a marginal attribute as to his lofty RBI totals, and that normally those situations where simply trying to make contact are so few and far between that it is not a significant factor in aggregate RBI totals.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Once again: where is my freaking turkey club?
    I sent one to Atlanta six weeks ago.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

One, I didn't ask the question.

Two, lack of strikeouts don't correlate with RBI's.

Just pointing that out since it was your way of describing why Phillips has so many RBI's.

The reason Phillips has so many RBI's is a product almost entirely of the following:

1. He hits behind two of the most prolific people in baseball at getting on base

2. Phillips has hit exceedingly well, and above his career norms (suggesting a non-repeatable skill at the level Phillips is producing) with runners on base and runners in scoring position.

3. Generally yes your point about Phillips being a good contact hitter can help in certain situations (such as runner on 3rd, 1 out where getting the bat on the ball instead of K'ing can lead to a better chance of knocking in that particular run). Phillips does have some skills in that area and it seems he adjusts his approach in certain situations to do that, however, this would only be a marginal attribute as to his lofty RBI totals, and that normally those situations where simply trying to make contact are so few and far between that it is not a significant factor in aggregate RBI totals.

I sent one to Atlanta six weeks ago.
    It hasn't caught up to me here in Charlotte yet.

Hope it hasn't spoiled

My point about Phillips is this. 1. he is a great contact hitter. 2. He hits a lot of deep fly balls which end up as sac flies. 3. He is a terrible base runner which means he is more valuable as a run producer than as a run scorer. 4. Seems it is something he enjoys.

Pecans!

My point about Phillips is this. 1. he is a great contact hitter. 2. He hits a lot of deep fly balls which end up as sac flies. 3. He is a terrible base runner which means he is more valuable as a run producer than as a run scorer. 4. Seems it is something he enjoys.
    I agree. I think the approach he takes is probably consistent with jis skills and I don't think he should try to change.

But if you think those skills that he has is consistent with a true value of 100+ RBI's on average, you are mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    It hasn't caught up to me here in Charlotte yet.

Hope it hasn't spoiled
    Charlotte now?

I crap you negative. One of my customers moved to Atlanta and missed my sun dried tomato focaccia bread. She jokingly asked me to send her a club on that bread, so I actually did it. Packed it in dry ice, put all the ingredients in there separately. She did have to fry the bacon herself, but it was my bacon.

Charlotte now?

I crap you negative. One of my customers moved to Atlanta and missed my sun dried tomato focaccia bread. She jokingly asked me to send her a club on that bread, so I actually did it. Packed it in dry ice, put all the ingredients in there separately. She did have to fry the bacon herself, but it was my bacon.
    Now you've brought bacon into the conversation. I might as well go home because I'm not going to get anymore work done

I agree. I think the approach he takes is probably consistent with jis skills and I don't think he should try to change.

But if you think those skills that he has is consistent with a true value of 100+ RBI's on average, you are mistaken.
    Then I am mistaken.

Prior to this year

Code:
    PLATE APPEARANCES               PA       RB      OUTS      RBI       R     
    1    Brandon Phillips           4526     1483     3222      563      610
    An out 71% of the time he came to bat
    An RBI every 8 PA's
    A Run scored every 7.4 PA

Looks to me like a wash, he's not much better at either facet than the other and despite his contact he hasn't gotten on enough to make that contact extra special.

16. Likes:

armybrat45103 (08-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Sorry, i didn't know about that high school gig, that changes everything. Why don't you send your resume into the Times, I'm getting bored with Maureen Dowd. And that might even pay more than your current job.
    Good luck with your column tomorrow, Mr. Daugherty.

whoops wheels beat me to that joke. guess I don't have any other clever way of saying you are being kind of a dick and your 'Daugherty is a good writer because he gets paid to do it and if you don't get paid to do it you can't be a better writer than him' logic fails on a variety of different levels.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; 08-29-2013 at 06:36 PM.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?