Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ode to the bad player

Re: Ode to the bad player

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    No love for Juan Castro?
    Manos de Oro and all that, though.

Seriously. There is still a segment of Reds fans that actually think he was great shortstop that was being blocked by an aging Larkin.

I actually had a customer tell me that just last week. I let out a hearty guffaw.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Jimmy Haynes
    Osvaldo Fernandez
    Josh Fogg
    Adam Rosales
    Paul Janish
    Chad Mottola
    Alex Trevino
    Dan Billardello
    Dave Van Gorder
    Dennis Menke

Dp
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Manos de Oro and all that, though.
    Thing is, he did have great hands. And that was Juan's lone skill. But there are players who really couldn't do anything on a ball field.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Jimmy Haynes
    Osvaldo Fernandez
    Josh Fogg
    Adam Rosales
    Paul Janish
    Chad Mottola
    Alex Trevino
    Dan Billardello
    Dave Van Gorder
    Dennis Menke
    Denis Menke? Seriously? Given the OP's criterion, how do you consider that Menke had no place on a major league roster during his career? We're not talking a superstar, but he wasn't a lousy player. Heck, he was a 2 time All Star.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    haha one year he put up an OPS+ of 3. Wow that's bad.
    I'm thinking Paul Householder should be the case study in not falling in love with a player because of his minor league stats. He actually looked like a real prospect coming up. It just never translated.

If we're going back to the early '80s, I nominate Geoff Jones.

From this last year's team, though, Mike Costanzo looked so overmatched it wasn't even funny.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Haunted by walks

The remarkable thing is that all these horrible players were the huge talents in their towns and made it to the majors and we didn't.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'd have to toss Gookie Dawkins up there. Horrific at the plate. And as a defender....*sigh*.

He had speed....so I guess he wasn't a complete failure. LOL.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 12-18-2012 at 07:57 PM.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Gary Redus- hit .462 for Billings his first year in the system.

Duane Walker- took Nolan Ryan deep twice in the same game his rookie year with the Reds.

Kal Daniels- one of the very best pure hitters the Reds have had in my time.
    sorry we're boring

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

Duane Walker- took Nolan Ryan deep twice in the same game his rookie year with the Reds.

Okay....how does that make any of them bad players? I didn't see Walker much, but Kal and Gary were fine players IMO.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Denis Menke? Seriously? Given the OP's criterion, how do you consider that Menke had no place on a major league roster during his career? We're not talking a superstar, but he wasn't a lousy player. Heck, he was a 2 time All Star.
    I'm 47 years old. I don't remember anything much before about '72 or '73. What he did with Houston was before my time.

What he did with the Reds didn't impress me. He was a backup. I don't remember him being much of a hitting threat. But hey.........I was young.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Okay....how does that make any of them bad players? I didn't see Walker much, but Kal and Gary were fine players IMO.
    ok, not bad players, but did not fulfill their potential.

Sorry, I misread the OP!
    sorry we're boring

Coco Cordero... Sorry guys, I cringed everytime Dusty handed him the ball. I know his numbers show one thing, but my eyes saw something totally opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    What he did with the Reds didn't impress me. He was a backup. I don't remember him being much of a hitting threat. But hey.........I was young.
    Menke was a starter and a pretty good player.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

Redus had a fine career as a part time player with the Pirates and Phillies. Daniels put up better numbers at the same age than Barry Bonds. He also had an ok career with the Dodgers. I wouldn't include either on the list.

Duane Walker was my favorite as a kid for some reason, but yeah, he belongs here.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?