Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Opening Day Roster(Projected)

Reds Opening Day Roster(Projected)

Latos, Broxton, Marshall and Hannahan most likely won't be ready for OD. That could change of course, its only March 6th. This projection is based off those 4 not being ready for the opener.

Cueto
    Bailey
    Simon
    Cingrani
    Leake

Chapman
    Hoover
    LeCure
    Parra
    Beato
    Jumbo Diaz/Ondrusek/Broxton(if ready)
    Partch

I am extremely high on Diaz, he will be a HUGE surprise in 2014. Hannahan to the 60 day DL and Diaz is put on the 40 man. IMHO, I believe Beato will be Simon 2.0. Great claim, good arm. Both Diaz and Beato could be very helpful in the bullpen. More proof that you don't give extensions to BP arms (Broxton and Marshall).

Lineup:

B Hamilton
    Phillips
    Votto
    Bruce
    Ludwick
    Frazier
    Mesoraco
    Cozart

Heisey
    B Pena
    Schumaker
    Bernadina
    Santiago

Bernadina, Santiago and Diaz are not on the 40 man, so 3 moves will need to made in order for projection to work. I believe Latos and Marshall will be put on the DL to start the year, along with Hannahan.

If Broxton is ready for the opener, then Jumbo will not make it. Also, Trevor Bell could be a darkhorse for our bullpen at some point in 14'.

Other guys like Bourgeois, F Perez, T Neal and Iribarren could make an impact in AAA Louisville, we'll see if they make it to Cincinnati.
    Last edited by JMO; 03-06-2014 at 06:13 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Opening Day Roster(Projected)

I like the bullpen and rotation, but my goodness there are so many question marks in that lineup.

Hamilton leading off - what will his OBP be?
    Ludwick is old and very injury prone.
    Frazier and Cozart seem to have been figured out by the rest of the league.
    I could see Mesoraco having a good offensive year, or another not so impressive year.
    Phillips has been in decline for some time now.

If the pitching doesn't hold up, especially with the lack of depth, the Reds very well could be fighting for 3rd place.

Time to get rid of Marshall. He's good but always injured

Also I think Soto should be playing off the bench. He has earned his time

From what I've Read Latos will be ready for game 6. Due to the day off after opening day. Cueto will pitch game 5. So Latos should still be on the opening day roster. Just won't pitch til game 6.

I'm really pulling for Chris Nelson to take over for Hannahan. I know he never lived up to his early 1st round pick expectations, but the guy did hit for an .810 OPS in just under 350 at bats just in 2012.

As many have said on this board and elsewhere, Hamilton is part of the key of the lineup. If he struggles hitting leadoff that could require Phillips moving to the leadoff spot or significantly shifting the lineup to put someone first that can hit.

I'm not so much concerned with the top of the batting order, though, as the bottom. Frazier is coming off a .234 campaign and we have to hope Ludwick doesn't experience a freak injury like last year. Last season the team was not able to generate production through the entire lineup, so that is something that I am going to keep my eye on during the first two months of the season as it should give a good indication of where we are headed.

Quote Originally Posted by KYExtemper View Post
    As many have said on this board and elsewhere, Hamilton is part of the key of the lineup. If he struggles hitting leadoff that could require Phillips moving to the leadoff spot or significantly shifting the lineup to put someone first that can hit.

I'm not so much concerned with the top of the batting order, though, as the bottom. Frazier is coming off a .234 campaign and we have to hope Ludwick doesn't experience a freak injury like last year. Last season the team was not able to generate production through the entire lineup, so that is something that I am going to keep my eye on during the first two months of the season as it should give a good indication of where we are headed.
    I would agree with this. The middle/bottom of the order has to be much improved over a year ago. LF/C production you would almost assume would improve simply because of how atrocious those positions were for the Reds a year ago. 3B/SS really don't have huge ceilings, but in theory based on service time and age Frazier and Cozart should see a slight improvement on their overall numbers. More consistency from those guys and a 120 games with a healthy Ludwick puts a lot less on the shoulders of Billy Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by KYExtemper View Post

I would think by now you guys would stop worrying about Billy so much. Between the last half of 2013 and his games during spring training, he's been amazing. He's going to do great things and getting a LOT of extra bases. I still think he will surpass Choo's runs scored.

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    I would think by now you guys would stop worrying about Billy so much. Between the last half of 2013 and his games during spring training, he's been amazing. He's going to do great things and getting a LOT of extra bases. I still think he will surpass Choo's runs scored.
    Any reasonable fan should worry about Hamilton. You are referring to a very small sample size. Major league pitching could eat him up.

12. Likes:

mth123 (03-09-2014)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRoseDay View Post
    Any reasonable fan should worry about Hamilton. You are referring to a very small sample size. Major league pitching could eat him up.
    Depends on what you mean by "reasonable". Hamilton appears to be something out of the past as far as lead-off hitters go. The stolen base is not as prevalent as it was in the 70's to the early 80's. Hamilton can get ate up by Major League pitching, but if he steals 50+ bases, I could care less what his BA is.

I would still care, but I'm more worried about his OBP. I really hope it's north of .300, but we have to play the anxious waiting game.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "reasonable". Hamilton appears to be something out of the past as far as lead-off hitters go. The stolen base is not as prevalent as it was in the 70's to the early 80's. Hamilton can get ate up by Major League pitching, but if he steals 50+ bases, I could care less what his BA is.
    If he steals 100 bases with a 280 OBP, the steals don't make up for it. Draft him for your fantasy team, but as far as winning real games on a real field goes, he's a huge question. He needs to OBP at least .330 IMO. Last thing a team needs is a huge out maker getting 700 PAs at the top of the order. I don't care how many he steals. It's not like he's going to add a bunch of power to make-up for it.

The brightest aspect of Hamilton's offense is that he's a step closer to 1B against RHP. At least he has that advantage the majority of the time. That one step might be real huge with his speed. I'd guess that his value will be directly tie to how may IF hits he gets. I'd say he needs at least 50 to OBP north of .300.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRoseDay View Post
    I would still care, but I'm more worried about his OBP. I really hope it's north of .300, but we have to play the anxious waiting game.
    If he is a good/great lead-off hitter you wont be worried about his OBP. It will take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    Time to get rid of Marshall. He's good but always injured
    We gave up too much for him to cut and run now. Give him another year and pray.

Turn Off Ads?