Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

I don't get why people are so outraged that some want to track these guys. I personally wouldn't take back either trade (IMO, David Sappelt will be the guy missed the most), but I'm still interested in following these guys and seeing how they perform.

The Reds went a ton of years without producing much from the farm. It was the root cause of the lost decade (and a half) not the Griffey trade and contract, not the Eric Milton signing, not the change of the facial hair policy or anything to do with Marty Brennaman's style. I want these guys to all do well. Having Red's farm products producing throughout the major leagues is a good thing for this franchise IMO. I hope Adam Dunn, EdE (not really a Red's product) and Zach Stewart all have good years too.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't mind tracking these guys because if they do well all it says to other GMs is the Reds produce quality players from their farm and its a good idea to trade for their minor leaguers. Its a win-win. If they, on the other hand, don't do well, it could actually hurt us in the long run even if we "win" the actual trades by depressing the market value of Reds farm hands. Given that, I hope they all have great years except when they play the Reds.

This thread could belong in the Minor League Forum. We'll see how many of these guys make the Padres and Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    This thread could belong in the Minor League Forum. We'll see how many of these guys make the Padres and Cubs.
    Volquez will be a starter for SD along with Alonso starting there everyday at 1B.Wood is struggling but still probably has a spot in the Cubs rotation that's his to loose, although he's doing his best to do just that.

I think maybe you should take some of your own advise(see post #3 in this thread).

If you're not a fan of this thread stop clicking on it.I keep coming here to see some updates but keep finding people complaining about the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    As far as the guys in the thread title:

Alonso, .226/.250/.323 in 32pa
    Grandal, .235/.235/.294 in 17pa
    Volquez, only 5ip, 5.40 era
    Sappelt, .176/.333/.294 in 21 pa
    Wood, 2 starts, 2.2 IP, 20.25era!
    Thanks.

Could you imagine the outrage, if we knew trades involving these guys could've been made for quality, established major leaguers only to have the Reds back out and then these guys were putting up those numbers so far in ST?I wonder if we'd be tracking the guys we could've got in those trades but didn't.

Those numbers mean very little to me and most others right now but lets not pretend that there hasn't been guys cut already this year because they've put up bad numbers.

On a side note Alonso was 2-3 tonight with 3 rbi last time I checked(game wasn't over).

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Volquez will be a starter for SD along with Alonso starting there everyday at 1B.Wood is struggling but still probably has a spot in the Cubs rotation that's his to loose, although he's doing his best to do just that.

I think maybe you should take some of your own advise(see post #3 in this thread).

If you're not a fan of this thread stop clicking on it.I keep coming here to see some updates but keep finding people complaining about the thread.
    Since there's going to be a thread on these guys, I'd like to know how many are likely to make the major leagues.

As far as I can see, V and Alonso will. Travis Wood and Sappelt seem to be on the bubble. Boxberger, Grandal, Torreyes probably go to the minors.

If anyone follows the Cubs and Padres more carefully, they should post some information. Thanks.

Why not let those interested in this thread participate in it and those who don't like this thread just ignore it..

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Why not let those interested in this thread participate in it and those who don't like this thread just ignore it..
    While that concept would seem to make sense on the surface, once you dig a bit deeper into Redszone you'd come to realize that rational thought and common sense are in short supply.

10. Likes:

remdog (04-18-2013)

Wood is listed as fourth on the Cubs rotation depth. I think he'd have to be fairly terrible in spring to not make their rotation. He might be on the bubble if he was still on the Reds, not in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Wood is listed as fourth on the Cubs rotation depth. I think he'd have to be fairly terrible in spring to not make their rotation. He might be on the bubble if he was still on the Reds, not in Chicago.
    I actually just read a piece on the Cubs and it didn't even mention Wood. It listed the 5 starters and some other players. I think it was the baseball tonight bus tour article on ESPN. So take that for what it's worth.

http://espn.go.com/blog/spring-train...tour-cubs-camp

It’s early, but here’s the best guess on what the Cubs' rotation will look like on Opening Day: Ryan Dempster, Matt Garza, Paul Maholm, Jeff Samardzija and Chris Volstad. Volstad’s first two starts have been very good, and he observed that, “I’m attacking. That’s what Bosi [pitching coach Chris Bosio] preaches.”

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I actually just read a piece on the Cubs and it didn't even mention Wood. It listed the 5 starters and some other players. I think it was the baseball tonight bus tour article on ESPN. So take that for what it's worth.

http://espn.go.com/blog/spring-train...tour-cubs-camp
    That is pretty much in line what the sports talk radio people from Chicago have been saying when discussing the Cubs' starting pitching. Wood is little more than an afterthought in most discussions.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Btw....Travis Wood started today, 2 ip, 7 hits, 7 runs, 2 k, 2 bb, 3 bombs. Yikes. 25.05 spring earnie. *shudders*

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Sounds like Wood should be hoping for the bubble. With the Cubs.

Seriously, wonder what's up with Wood, he's really had a miserable spring. Probably will go to AAA and work things out down there.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-19-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Sounds like Wood should be hoping for the bubble. With the Cubs.

Seriously, wonder what's up with Wood, he's really had a miserable spring. Probably will go to AAA and work things out down there.
    Seems like since being demoted last June Travis has really struggled.He wasn't doing great before that but at AAA he did even worse.Could be that his confidence took a big hit and since being sent down he's had a difficult time getting in a grove.That or he just isn't that good.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Seems like since being demoted last June Travis has really struggled.He wasn't doing great before that but at AAA he did even worse.Could be that his confidence took a big hit and since being sent down he's had a difficult time getting in a grove.That or he just isn't that good.
    While I haven't watched him pitch much lately, when he first came up, he was able to locate his fastball/cutter very well. In 2010, his fastball and cutter both were "above average" pitches according to fangraphs data. In 2011, both took enormous steps backward in effectiveness according the same data.

Here it is, per 100 pitches:
    Fastball 10/11: 1.63/-0.07
    Cutter 10/11: 0.53/-1.56

Now, why that happened, I can't say at this point (I haven't done any Pitch F/X scouting on him from that time nor watched any video to see if my "control" of those two pitches theory could be behind it).

Turn Off Ads?