Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso in left last night?

Re: Yonder Alonso in left last night?

as the Reds found filling the middle infield positions is tougher than 1b. The Alonso pick left me scratching my head and still does ... and the Reds still don't have a competent SS.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    He'll have to be pretty valuable, then, as a power-hitting infielder-- especially at 2B or SS-- has inherently more value than a power-hitting 1B.

In other words, I'd rather have Beckham at an 850 OPS over Alonso at a 900 OPS.

And, for the record, I would have loved to have drafted Smoak over Alonso. He's a switch-hitter (something this lineup sorely needs) and has shown more power.
    Sure but if you were going to ask me which was more likely before the Draft I would have said Alonso OPSing over .900. I still dont think Beckham is going to be a .850 bat. I kinda soured on Beckham when I started to realize he wasnt going to stick at SS.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    as the Reds found filling the middle infield positions is tougher than 1b. The Alonso pick left me scratching my head and still does ... and the Reds still don't have a competent SS.
    Drafting Beckham wouldn't have changed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    And, for the record, I would have loved to have drafted Smoak over Alonso. He's a switch-hitter (something this lineup sorely needs) and has shown more power.
    Justin Smoak vs lefties in his MILB career .215/.304/.331. Sure, he switch hits.... but so far he has absolutely sucked at it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Drafting Beckham wouldn't have changed that.
    probably, but him at 3B might mean the Reds don't make that trade for Rolen.

I could have lived with that.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    probably, but him at 3B might mean the Reds don't make that trade for Rolen.

I could have lived with that.
    If the Reds drafted Beckham he would still be in the minors. He would have been behind both Frazier and Francisco and probably in AA or AAA right now.

If the Reds drafted Beckham he would still be in the minors. He would have been behind both Frazier and Francisco and probably in AA or AAA right now.
    conjecture. behind Francisco, maybe. behind Fazier and his merry go round of positions? no. Not at 3B anyway. And more to the point, Alonso is behind both those guys right now but in LF.

And if Alonso can play a passable defense in LF, He's got to get past them to supplant Gomes, whereas Beckham would have to get past the same two guys to replace EE. six of one...

Beckham was in a better position to force management's hand. If the Alonso LF experiment fails, he's behind Dorn, who is killing the ball at Louisville and Votto. Steep hill. His bat is working, but have we gotten a report on the defense yet? I know he has thrown a runner out, so the arm is accurate. How strong was the throw? How is he on reads? Routes?

Justin Smoak vs lefties in his MILB career .215/.304/.331. Sure, he switch hits.... but so far he has absolutely sucked at it.
    To be fair Doug, Smoak has developed faster than Alonso and is rightfully rated ahead of him at this point in their respective careers. Neither player has hit LHP very well as of yet, but Smoak has outhit Yonder so far. Having said that, I still like Yonder in the long run but I think both players will be very good at the MLB level.

Bum

Alonso, IMHO, is not behind anybody. He's just learning to play till he takes over and moves other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    To be fair Doug, Smoak has developed faster than Alonso and is rightfully rated ahead of him at this point in their respective careers. Neither player has hit LHP very well as of yet, but Smoak has outhit Yonder so far. Having said that, I still like Yonder in the long run but I think both players will be very good at the MLB level.

Bum
    Alonso out hit Smoak last season, though both guys dealt with injuries and were at different levels. But the whole point was that Smoak being a switch hitter isn't really a bonus, because he can't hit lefties. Or at least hasn't yet.

Switch hitters that don't hit from a certain side are like "if a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it, who gives a crap?"

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Id agree with that. I also dont think they took Alonso because he was better though. I think you have to weigh in that if Alonso produces his trade value is going to be more valuable than a guy like Gordan Beckham.
    A team like the Reds shouldn't be concerned with trade value as much as positional value. This franchise needs to draft for future value. We had a young guy at 1B who had been productive throughout his minor league career. I think he was MVP of the Southern League and Rook of the Year in AAA back to back years. We had no clear SS of the future and knew how expensive Phillips was going to become in 2011. So why take Alonso over Beckham? Beckham could have solved the SS issue at least as a stop gap and moved over to 2B next year. Heck he could make the conversion over to LF easier than Alonso probably.

The FO needs to draft based on contract futures and even need somewhat vs PBA. The draft is a crapshoot. Heyward was passed on by 10 - 15 teams and he will probably turn out to be the best player in that draft class...

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    A team like the Reds shouldn't be concerned with trade value as much as positional value. This franchise needs to draft for future value. We had a young guy at 1B who had been productive throughout his minor league career. I think he was MVP of the Southern League and Rook of the Year in AAA back to back years. We had no clear SS of the future and knew how expensive Phillips was going to become in 2011. So why take Alonso over Beckham? Beckham could have solved the SS issue at least as a stop gap and moved over to 2B next year. Heck he could make the conversion over to LF easier than Alonso probably.

The FO needs to draft based on contract futures and even need somewhat vs PBA. The draft is a crapshoot. Heyward was passed on by 10 - 15 teams and he will probably turn out to be the best player in that draft class...
    You can never draft based on needs because as you say, its a crapshoot.

Only one way to draft: BPA, and for once in 2008 we got him. Just give him time.

If anyone wants to reminisce about the possible drafting of Beckham, here's a June 4th thread from right before the draft:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...gordon+beckham

Turn Off Ads?