Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 67 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion

Re: How bad are the Bengals going to be next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I think it was Doc who wrote that the only teams on the schedule who had a winning record last year are Pitt, Bal, and Indy.
    By my count before the season started they had 6 tough games. They had Pit and Bal twice, Houston and Indy. Now they have 5 tough games. I am not a Carson fan but had he been the starting QB they would be playoff bound.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am not a Carson fan but had he been the starting QB they would be playoff bound.
    I think that's a stretch. You gotta figure Balt and Pitt have awfully easy schedules too, especially because they get the Bengals twice. So unless you envision the Bengals finishing above those two teams, there's only one WC spot left. I'd venture a guess that that spot would go to NE or the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think that's a stretch. You gotta figure Balt and Pitt have awfully easy schedules too, especially because they get the Bengals twice. So unless you envision the Bengals finishing above those two teams, there's only one WC spot left. I'd venture a guess that that spot would go to NE or the Jets.
    There is a difference of two games. While the Bengals get the Bills the Steelers get the Pats and the Ravens get the Jets. While the Bengals get the Bronco's the Steelers get the Chiefs and the Ravens get the Chargers. Now it appears as of the Steelers got a nice break by getting the Chiefs they still play a tougher schedule.

With Carson I think the team looks a lot like the 09 team. They may not win the division or the wild card but so much of a season is dictated by scheduling. FWIW I am glad the Bengals have moved on from Carson, it just may have been the wrong season to do so.

All good points, Buck. If you're Carson, don't you have to be kicking yourself for giving up on the team this year? Think what a playoff run would do for his career. Arguably, this team's got the most talent (besides QB) since 2005-6 and they're hungry. No more Chad shenanigans.

I grew disappointed in Carson in recent years in ways that go beyond his injuries. His INTs are well documented but also he no longer looked over the whole field. He'd developed a habit of staring down receivers. He also rarely did anything to try to fool the defense like a genuine fake handoff, otherwise called play action, or a pump fake. When did you ever see him quick snap like Gradowski did vs Cleveland? My guess is Carson would have snapped that ball, taken a knee and then patted himself on the back for catching the Browns with 12 men on the field.

Maybe they'd be favorites to win a playoff spot, maybe not but wouldn't it be great to compete for one without him?

All good points, Buck. If you're Carson, don't you have to be kicking yourself for giving up on the team this year? Think what a playoff run would do for his career. Arguably, this team's got the most talent (besides QB) since 2005-6 and they're hungry. No more Chad shenanigans.

I grew disappointed in Carson in recent years in ways that go beyond his injuries. His INTs are well documented but also he no longer looked over the whole field. He'd developed a habit of staring down receivers. He also rarely did anything to try to fool the defense like a genuine fake handoff, otherwise called play action, or a pump fake. When did you ever see him quick snap like Gradowski did vs Cleveland? My guess is Carson would have snapped that ball, taken a knee and then patted himself on the back for catching the Browns with 12 men on the field.

Maybe they'd be favorites to win a playoff spot, maybe not but wouldn't it be great to compete for one without him?
    I pretty much agree with all of this. And I really don't think I could have said it much better.

To me Carson was a shell of his former self once he hurt his elbow. Even in the playoff run he wasn't the QB he had been in years past. They made some great comebacks that season but he wasn't the dynamic passer he once had been. Even that year I thought he was a guy who locked on to Chad early and didn't deviate much. I was somewhat upset last draft when they didn't attempt to draft a backup QB and groom him. I wanted Colt McCoy especially when it became evident that he was there in late 2 and early 3.

I think as time passes it will be a good thing Carson forced the Bengals hand. He no longer was a top tier QB, moreso the next tier down. He reminded me a lot of Eli Manning in that they weren't going to kill you but weren't going to put games on their shoulders anymore. He wasn't the type of QB you were comfortable with airing it out each game. He had become a very good game manager. Not a bad thing, but not a player you play top 10-15 NFL dollars for.

on the TD pass to Simpson against the Chargers

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    on the TD pass to Simpson against the Chargers
    I don't know. That was a blown coverage but it wasn't really the same thing. At least the CB was lined up properly. I don't know what exactly happened there. In the SD game there is a CB on Simpson but Jerome runs by him.

Chargers vs Bengals 12.26.2010 - YouTube

Last Sunday there was no DB in the picture near Green when the ball was snapped.

I don't know. That was a blown coverage but it wasn't really the same thing. At least the CB was lined up properly. I don't know what exactly happened there. In the SD game there is a CB on Simpson but Jerome runs by him.

Chargers vs Bengals 12.26.2010 - YouTube

Last Sunday there was no DB in the picture near Green when the ball was snapped.
    From Bengals.com:

Gruden says the Bengals did it four or five times last year and that wide receiver Terrell Owens scored on a quick snap.

The Denver Broncos are practicing without a half dozen of their key players.

Pro Bowlers Champ Bailey (hamstring) and Brandon Lloyd (groin) missed Wednesday's workout along with fellow starters Knowshon Moreno (hamstring) and Elvis Dumervil (shoulder). All of them were hurt Monday night against Oakland.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1XynEuXyZ

From Bengals.com:
    I'm guessing he's referring to the typical Carson Palmer kneel down quick snap. In addition, Gruden wasn't even here last year. I don't remember any play last year like what happened to the Browns on Sunday

I'm guessing he's referring to the typical Carson Palmer kneel down quick snap. In addition, Gruden wasn't even here last year. I don't remember any play last year like what happened to the Browns on Sunday
    they would probably have more, but like Benson said:

When asked about the differences between last year’s offense and this one, especially when it comes to getting out of the huddle earlier, Cedric Benson pointed out one reason.

“Because you had some challenges out on the edges you had to deal with,” Benson said. “You don’t have those anymore. Guys line up and generally know what they need to do and what the task is on each play.”

Benson did add one other note on why there is more of a crispness out of the huddle, saying: “I just think they’re just getting it in faster. I’m sure Jay knows what he wants to call before the whistle is blown on the (previous) play.

they would probably have more, but like Benson said:
    Nice little shot on Brat in there. I'm sure the current offensive players are loving Gruden compared to Bratkowski. Playing for such an idiot for so long seemed to push a few guys over the edge, like Benson. He could only keep his mouth shut for so long.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Say what you want about Ced but he's more of a leader than Carson ever was

Say what you want about Ced but he's more of a leader than Carson ever was
    I gave up on the Carson Palmer bandwagon long before he decided to quit, but this idea that he wasn't a leader is kind of ridiculous. There are quotes from players throughout the years that said he was a good team leader. After the game winning TD against the Ravens two years ago in Baltimore, Caldwell specifically mentioned how Palmer was poised and confident in the huddle during the last drive. Willie Anderson would gush over his ability to lead.

Carson Palmer may not have a Philip Rivers complex where he shows emotion on every play, but just because he didn't, doesn't mean he was incapable of being a team leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    I gave up on the Carson Palmer bandwagon long before he decided to quit, but this idea that he wasn't a leader is kind of ridiculous. There are quotes from players throughout the years that said he was a good team leader. After the game winning TD against the Ravens two years ago in Baltimore, Caldwell specifically mentioned how Palmer was poised and confident in the huddle during the last drive. Willie Anderson would gush over his ability to lead.

Carson Palmer may not have a Philip Rivers complex where he shows emotion on every play, but just because he didn't, doesn't mean he was incapable of being a team leader.
    I disagree. I'll give you two examples

Carson never addressed the Chad/TO fiasco last year. He let those guys take the team down whereas he should have called them out in person.

Carson never addressed the coaching issues. Ced clearly stated that Bratkowski was a problem and that he'd not return if Brat came back. Carson said nothing. He just pouted and quit.

Turn Off Ads?