Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Danny Ray Herrera

Re: Danny Ray Herrera

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    There is nothing like a junkballing lefty to come in after a few fireballers have been pumping seeds up to the plate. But he will likely only succeed as a counterattack in a power bullpen.
    I agree and with Cordero, Burton, Pelland, McBeth, Viola, Coffey, Salmon and Roenicke on top of whichever starter of the Cueto, Volquez and Bailey trio ends up as a reliever the Reds could have a power pen that Herrera could fit right into.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

OK look at Danny Herrera Minor league #, forget he is 5'7 and 150lb and throws a 86 MPH .Now imagine he is 6'4 220 and throws 94 to 96 with those same #.How would you feel about him then?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    OK look at Danny Herrera Minor league #, forget he is 5'7 and 150lb and throws a 86 MPH .Now imagine he is 6'4 220 and throws 94 to 96 with those same #.How would you feel about him then?
    Quite a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Quite a bit different.
    As would most including myself but why? If he gets guys out he gets guy out right?
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 12-25-2007 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Quite a bit different.
    I have a good feeling about Herrera. He's obviously not a top prospect in terms of the normal indicators. But he seems to deceive the hitters and get a lot of ground balls.

Sometimes a guy just has a knack for getting hitters out. I assume he will be at AAA this year and it will be interesting to see if he continues to be effective.

Krivsky and Co. obviously like him, I don't think they wanted a pure throw in, but wanted somebody who has a chance to help the Reds, even in a limited role.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    As would most including myself but why? If he gets guys out he gets guy out right?
    I put a lot of stock in minor-league numbers myself -- at some point, potential has to start yielding actual results. At the same time, there are lots of different ways to get results in the minors and not all of them equally translate to big-league success.

The lower minors are full of hitters who lack patience and can't hit good breaking stuff to save their lives. A pitcher who has good command of his breaking stuff can mow those guys down. But at each bump in level, critically flawed hitters are weeded out, leaving more guys who can hit the breaking stuff, especially if they're looking for it. If the pitcher can't set up the breaking pitches with a decent fastball, he will probably hit a wall at some point, the Jamie Moyers of the world excepted.

Similarly, hitters can feast on minor-league pitching just by having the patience to wait out the guys who are having trouble throwing strikes, and the ability to kill a mistake fastball. But they can't really hit *good* pitching, and as they move up the ladder they're exposed as pretenders.

For a guy like Herrera, one test I'd like to see -- and I have no idea how one would obtain this information -- is, what results is he getting against hitters who project to be major-leaguers someday, as opposed to organizational filler? If he's getting the good hitters out, too, that's an encouraging sign. Especially if he does it at Triple-A, since that level has a lot of fringe big-leaguers who have been around the block a few times.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Cruisin' for trouble

His hands are probably too small for a knuckler, but that would have been a great pitch for him to add.

In Arizona this past winter he posted a 2.53 ERA with batters hitting .212 against him. Most of the guys sent to Arizona are considered to be major league bound.

Well the Reds can slot him in to the Carlos Guevara lifetime Chattanooga slot in the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Well the Reds can slot him in to the Carlos Guevara lifetime Chattanooga slot in the pen.

I'm sorry but wasn't Guevera keeping the Calvin Medlock seat warm for Herrera?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

This is sounding like a favorite Childhood book about the "Littile Engine That Could". We all need a little fantasy, eh?

His biggest barrier will be the Reds FO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    His biggest barrier will be the Reds FO.
    conspiracy theorist, eh?

it'd certainly be nice if he threw harder, but being lefthanded is a great quality in this organization, and historically has been a great thing for a screwballer. I suspect that he has a much better chance than Carlos Guevara.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

If he can get people out, well then, I don't care if he's 5'8" or 6'8". Thanks for the info guys, especially danwl. It's appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    conspiracy theorist, eh?

it'd certainly be nice if he threw harder, but being lefthanded is a great quality in this organization, and historically has been a great thing for a screwballer. I suspect that he has a much better chance than Carlos Guevara.
    I can't remember if I said this here or some time ago on another thread. I knew a guy who played college ball at Xavier, a contemporary of Charlie Liebrandt when he was at Miami(?). Liebrandt, a lefthander, was drafted out of college, Jim signed as a free agent with the Cardinals. He went to Spring Training but ultimately left before the season started. He recognized that he, a righthander pitching the same speed Liebrandt was (high 80's, if I remember correctly). He knew, though, that he'd never ulimately make the majors with that stuff. Liebrandt, of course, went on to a 14 year career in the big leauges. Being lefthanded is a gift from God (said the leftie here).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?