Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bengals to cut ties with Thurman

Re: Bengals to cut ties with Thurman

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Odell has missed "several weeks" of OTA's to be with his grandmother. The Bengals were fine with that and asked him to be at the next session after the funeral took place on May 12th. Perfectly reasonable.

They gave him a week post-funeral to show up (today) and he still didn't show.

You would think a guy with his life on the line and 2 years without a job would want to impress coaches and teammates by actually being here.
    That's the read I got. He was given time off, but the Bengals wanted to keep a tight leash on him based on past experience. IIRC, he didn't fare so well the last time he was in Georgia around the time he was under consideration for reinstatement. Regardless of his reasoning, I'm sure the Bengals felt that he could wrap up any business he had to take care of down there in the week after the funeral.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

So, why isn't Deltha O'Neal being punished for missing OTA's and learning the new Defense?

He wasn't on a short leash like Thurman was?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    So, why isn't Deltha O'Neal being punished for missing OTA's and learning the new Defense?
    You're not allowed to receive official punishment for missing OTAs. O'Neal's had one foot out the door for a long time, and there is absolutely no depth behind him, so I don't think he's too motivated anyway.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

I'm suprised we haven't seen other teams take a flyer on this guy.

Dallas? Oakland? Buehler?
    Witty signature.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6821

Thurman faces NFL suspension

BY GEOFF HOBSON
    June 2, 2008
    RSS

Posted: 6:35 p.m.

According to SI.com, former Bengals middle linebacker Odell Thurman has violated the league's substance abuse policy and faces an indefinite suspension.

SI's Jim Trotter said Thurman has not visited with any NFL teams. Thurman last played with the Bengals in 2005 before he missed the last two years for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

The Bengals released Thurman on May 19.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

What a butthead.
    Witty signature.

Someday Chris Henry and Odell Thurman will realize how much they wasted. And they'll wish they could be 22 again with a bright future in their hands.

Oh, who am I kidding? They're not bright enough to know how much they've thrown away. They're raising stupidity up to epic levels.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

AWful news. I'm so sorry for these guys -

I'll give the Bengals credit for their move, as at first I thought it was questionable and appeared to be punitive for taking a few extra days off after the death of the grandmother who raised him, but seriously, they couldn't at least let us know, "look, we've got a REALLY good reason for this"...

Does anyone know if the Bengals knew he were to be suspended indefinitely before releasing him?

Wow. I feel bad for wanting this, but something in me just wants those guys to do some hard time for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Wow. I feel bad for wanting this, but something in me just wants those guys to do some hard time for many years.
    Oh, they'll be doing hard time all right. When they're flipping burgers at McDonald's in a few years when they should be all set.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

That ended being one heck of a draft.

In 1974 the Steelers drafted Jack Lambert...Lynn Swann...John Stallworth....Mike Webster.....Loren Towes..... I think the Bengals draft was the 1000% opposite of this one. It did help them go to the playoffs....but I always thought deals with the devil meant you got to win the Super Bowl...or make at least a 5 year run at the playoffs?

Turn Off Ads?