Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Must Be the Only One

Re: I Must Be the Only One

Quote Originally Posted by SportsSnob View Post
    Don't understand rants on announcers. Not everyone is Vin Scully. I think it's just a tired idea to bash announcers. Thom does a fine job and nothing worthy of being ranted on. Just makes me laugh the things people complain about in the grand scheme of things.
    Are you Thom or Marty?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Possibly Claude Sullivan or JimMcIntyre

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I think it's a tired idea to rant about people ranting about the people delivering the action to the fan base on the airwaves myself.
    I think you really missed an opportunity to say "I think it's a tired idea to rant about people ranting about the ranter that announces Reds games."

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Hilarious. Thom honestly should be treated like a local Icon if you ask me. This is an A+++ type of announcer that has decided to put his reputation in jeopardy to call games for our lowly Reds. The fact that anyone would even think about talking down on Thom is beyond ridiculous.
    reputation in jeopardy? hahaha. thanks, needed a good laugh on a monday morning.

he did Dbacks games before the Reds, this is a step up for him.

6. Likes:

westofyou (08-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    I like Thom and Marty. Personally, I don't get too riled up over announcers and the only guy I don't like to listen to is Chris Berman.
    Off-topic, but saw your Kiko Garcia pic. Played at Ygnacio Valley HS. I had a few coaches waaaay back that had played with/against Kiko and talked about him a lot, so we followed him with the Orioles and I still remember his 4 hits in Game 3 of '79 WS...and the tough play potential-DP off deflected ball by Palmer in Game 6.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal Reds Fan View Post
    Off-topic, but saw your Kiko Garcia pic. Played at Ygnacio Valley HS. I had a few coaches waaaay back that had played with/against Kiko and talked about him a lot, so we followed him with the Orioles and I still remember his 4 hits in Game 3 of '79 WS...and the tough play potential-DP off deflected ball by Palmer in Game 6.
    I used to live off Ygnacio Valley Rd. when I lived in Walnut Creek ... oh 30 years ago.

Hilarious. Thom honestly should be treated like a local Icon if you ask me. This is an A+++ type of announcer that has decided to put his reputation in jeopardy to call games for our lowly Reds. The fact that anyone would even think about talking down on Thom is beyond ridiculous.
    Hmmmm. . . .I may be mistaken, but the number of plusses and the bolded words scream sarcasm to me.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 08-26-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

10. Likes:

George Anderson (08-26-2013)

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Calling play-by-play, or even color, is very difficult. There is no room for error, meaning, it's live TV so you get only one take. I've never done it at a professional level, but even broadcasting high school sports on the local cable access channel puts pressure on the hot mic.

So, when it comes to pure ability to speak freely, naturally, and call the game with as much fluency as Marty and Thom are able to do, I believe there are few who can rival them, and Reds fans are fortunate to be able to listen to a good story when there's a ballgame being played.

That said, both of them have practically mastered the art of calling games. It's second nature to them by now so the pressure of live TV isn't as intense as it is for someone like me who has 25 games under my belt. Therefore, it allows for more personality to come out. On the official "Marty Brennaman Day" last week, I listened to Marty rationalize the times when he is critical of players, and I thought his explanation was very genuine and also fair. I do agree he has appeared to become more curmudgeonly as he's aged, but isn't that natural, too?

My opinion of Thom is that he is simply following the lead of his HOF father. It's going to rub some people the wrong way (just like Marty) and it won't bother others. There are few broadcasters who can please everybody.

I have also met them both - even played 18 with Marty in Palm Springs before Joe died. He was a hoot on the golf course and an utmost pleasure to be around. I find them both to be likable guys, so I'm sure that forms my opinion of them as broadcasters, too.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

12. Likes:

markymark69 (08-28-2013)

Marty rails on certain players but his critisms seem to come from frustration, Thom just seems like he is doing it just to be like Daddy, it comes off as him being a jerk. Thom has 2 things that drive me crazy the over the top negativity and the over pronouncing of Latin names, Sanchez and Valdez in particular.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    On the official "Marty Brennaman Day" last week, I listened to Marty rationalize the times when he is critical of players, and I thought his explanation was very genuine and also fair. I do agree he has appeared to become more curmudgeonly as he's aged, but isn't that natural, too?
    Thats what worries me about Thom.

If he already comes across as a grouchy old fart like his dad, imagine how bad he will actually be when he really is a grouchy old fart like his dad.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

15. Likes:

Hoosier Red (08-26-2013),REDREAD (08-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Hmmmm. . . .I may be mistaken, but the number of plusses and the bolded words scream sarcasm to me.
    This is a man that has called National Championship College Football games. Countless NFL playoff and College BCS games, countless MLB playoff games and he came home in 2007 when the Reds were on of the worst teams around and it had been like that for some time and Thom came home and commited the majority of his summer to watch that garbage. When it comes to sports in this town, there is not one person I respect more than Thom. I just hope the Reds are able to keep him.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

This is a man that has called National Championship College Football games. Countless NFL playoff and College BCS games, countless MLB playoff games and he came home in 2007 when the Reds were on of the worst teams around and it had been like that for some time and Thom came home and commited the majority of his summer to watch that garbage. When it comes to sports in this town, there is not one person I respect more than Thom. I just hope the Reds are able to keep him.
    Thom stated numerous times that he came back to Cincinnati because he wanted to to raise his family there and also to have his kids be around their grandparents while growing up. Lets get up off the kneelers in front of the Thom shrine and look at the whole picture.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

18. Likes:

westofyou (08-26-2013)

I Must Be the Only One

He's a crappy baseball announcer, as for football apples and hand grenades

Why does Fox allow him to do playoff games?
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Why does Fox allow him to do playoff games?
    You mean the same network that has Tim McCarver do games?

22. Likes:

CrimeDoc (08-27-2013),westofyou (08-27-2013)

Turn Off Ads?