Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1970s and 80s TV Game Shows

Re: 1970s and 80s TV Game Shows

I also loved watching game shows in my youth. Has anyone mentioned Who, What Where?

I have long thought that daytime television says something about our culture. 30 years ago we all watched these shows because we wanted to watch winners and we rooted them on.

Unfortunately today it's just the opposite. We want to see losers which is why shows like Jerry Springer, Maury Povich, Dr Phil and Judge Judy do so well.

I think that's ashame.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Anyone remember To Tell the Truth? I can't remember now who was the host of this show??
    Basically you had three people who would come on and say I am XXXXX. Then three celebrity panel members would question each and then decide who was the real XXXX. The usual panel members seemed to be Orson Bean,Kitty Carlisle and Peggy Cass.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Anyone remember To Tell the Truth? I can't remember now who was the host of this show??
    Basically you had three people who would come on and say I am XXXXX. Then three celebrity panel members would question each and then decide who was the real XXXX. The usual panel members seemed to be Orson Bean,Kitty Carlisle and Peggy Cass.

I think Bill Cullen hosted the modern day version. That show dated from back in the 50s and maybe even from radio before that, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Beat the Clock

I remember Garry Moore hosting the early 70's-ish version. As a kid, I never knew what Kitty Carlisle did to become famous enough to be on a game show panel. I just figured she was some well-respected person in Hollywood because she was always so formally dressed.

come on big money! $5000 and a spin! no whammies give me a trip no whammies big money STOP!

Can't figure out why but as a 8-10 year old, Press Your Luck struck me as the epitome of awesome.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    As a kid, I never knew what Kitty Carlisle did to become famous enough to be on a game show panel. I just figured she was some well-respected person in Hollywood because she was always so formally dressed.
    I would say that about any number of these folks. Who ever heard of Brett Somers or Fanny Flag except for Match Game?

Nobody remembers Bowling For Dollars?

My grandma was just crazy about that one for some reason, but she also liked to watch the pro bowlers tour too....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I was watching Family Feud clips on YouTube last night, and I saw a special birthday episode in which the producers flew Richard Dawson's family in to surprise him with a birthday cake. He kissed both his sons on the lips. I thought it was strange at first, but then it occurred to me that kissing people on the lips probably wasn't as big a deal to Richard Dawson as it is to the rest of the world. It was probably like a handshake to him.
    Interesting after marrying his second wife, he was told to give up the kissing and he did so in 1994:

After years away from the show, Richard Dawson is returning as the host of the syndicated "New Family Feud" in the fall.

There will be one big change, however - he insists he won't be kissing anybody this time around."I can't give any more kisses because since I've been off I've married. I'm the father of a beautiful little girl . . . Shannon Nicole," Dawson said. "And I have to swear the only kisses I would give would be to Mom and Shannon. Hugs, maybe - no kisses

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/3...SING-ISNT.html

Yep, I remember that one. It aired at 7:00pm in Louisville, IIRC. Wasn't Nipsey Russell a regular on this one, as well? He was the comedian who wrote funny poems. I'd like to see this one remade.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by LawFive View Post
    come on big money! $5000 and a spin! no whammies give me a trip no whammies big money STOP!

Can't figure out why but as a 8-10 year old, Press Your Luck struck me as the epitome of awesome.
    You and me both. How can you NOT love a show where you feel sad to see someone lose $10,000, but seeing a funny cartoon character pop up makes you kinda glad that he did?

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I remember Garry Moore hosting the early 70's-ish version. As a kid, I never knew what Kitty Carlisle did to become famous enough to be on a game show panel. I just figured she was some well-respected person in Hollywood because she was always so formally dressed.

Gary Moore. He's the one I remember now. I think Cullen was a panelist at times and so was Nipsey Russell as someone else mentioned.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I would say that about any number of these folks. Who ever heard of Brett Somers or Fanny Flag except for Match Game?
    Brett Summers claim to fame was that she was married to Jack Klugman. Fanny Flag I have no idea. There was and is a B list of wanna be celebrities that go from game show to game show to make a little money.
    Today if Match Game or Hollywood Squares was on you see a lot of the Kardashian sisters,Paris Hilton,Lindsey Lohan and others of the same making this circuit.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Fanny Flag I have no idea.
    Fanny Flagg was a writer and co-host for Candid Camera. She was also a writer and wrote Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe which was turned intot he movie Fried Green Tomatoes for which she also wrote the screenplay.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I thought Hugh Downs hosted that show. Or at least did for a while.
    He did.

Turn Off Ads?