Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got a droid. What are the best apps?

Re: Just got a droid. What are the best apps?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    From the title of this thread, I thought you were looking for alternates to "Preparation H".

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Just found a cool app for anyone who follows the minor league guys. The Pioneer League has an app for Droid. Not sure if its the leagues official app or not, but I found out about it through the Billings Gazette. Each team has local newspaper stories, articles, pictures and schedules. Its free. Just search the Market for Pioneer Baseball.

The Maps app has been updated to include the 'places' app. It seems like a great idea, but its not showing up on my phone. Anyone else having a similar problem?

Edit: After about an hour, it finally showed up in my 'apps'. Very cool add on to Google Maps.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 07-27-2010 at 04:40 PM.

My friend just got an android based phone and is looking for a good app for stocks. Anyone have any suggestions before we start just installing them and testing them.

I'm getting the Samsung Captivate, part of the Galaxy S series of android phones. It's the first Android 2.1 phone for AT&T.

can't wait to get it.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Froyo is dropping for the Droids next week.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Froyo is dropping for the Droids next week.
    With any luck I will get it today for my Incredible. Crossing my fingers as my gf got it a few days ago for her evo.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Also, has anyone been successful at or even tried rooting their Android phone?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Also, has anyone been successful at or even tried rooting their Android phone?
    Haven't tried, but at least for the Droid X, it's supposedly now possible with literally a few clicks.

Retired

If anyone has the Droid X, how is the battery life?

I currently have a blackberry, but the new berries aren't really much different than the old ones. A track pad and more memory, yippie, pretty much the same OS and horrible web browsing. I looked at the HTC Incredible as well, but almost all reports say the battery life is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    If anyone has the Droid X, how is the battery life?

I currently have a blackberry, but the new berries aren't really much different than the old ones. A track pad and more memory, yippie, pretty much the same OS and horrible web browsing. I looked at the HTC Incredible as well, but almost all reports say the battery life is terrible.
    I'm still in the process of tweaking settings to try to get better battery life because mine hasn't been that great. Almost all the reviews say it's top notch for a smartphone, so either 1). I have a defective battery or 2). my expectations are a bit too high. Upgrading from a BB Curve myself, I would highly recommend the phone, though.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I'm still in the process of tweaking settings to try to get better battery life because mine hasn't been that great. Almost all the reviews say it's top notch for a smartphone, so either 1). I have a defective battery or 2). my expectations are a bit too high. Upgrading from a BB Curve myself, I would highly recommend the phone, though.
    How long are you getting out of it, Boss? That is the 1 thing I do like about my Blackberry that is going to be hard to give up, I can use this thing all day with heavy use and still have 40% battery left. I don't really want to tote a charger around with me everyday if I don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post

How long are you getting out of it, Boss? That is the 1 thing I do like about my Blackberry that is going to be hard to give up, I can use this thing all day with heavy use and still have 40% battery left. I don't really want to tote a charger around with me everyday if I don't have to.
    Understandable - I wouldn't be too influenced by my experience because I'm fairly certain I have a defective battery or, less likely, phone (both are covered by warranty for a year). Verizon's response has been to update it, make sure it can hold a charge and to heavily push Advanced Task Killer. If you do any amount of reading on how the Android OS works, you'll find that not only are tasks killers redundant, but there are many that believe they use more battery power killing tasks that the OS would automatically close anyway. They have agreed to replace one or the other if using ATK does not completely solve the problem.

Anyway, as a result of this problem, prior to installing ATK, I am literally only getting half a day with medium to high usage. Like I said, though, based on everything I've read, that is not at all typical of this phone, which is why I believe something's not right. In spite of this rather large problem, I would still heavily recommend the phone because I find it hard to believe that this is typical...let me know if you have any other questions about it and I'll keep you updated on whether or not ATK solves the issue.

Now that the Evo has flash 10.1 I logged into my mlb.tv account today and watched the Reds and Cubs from my phone in 4G. It was pretty decent.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Now that the Evo has flash 10.1 I logged into my mlb.tv account today and watched the Reds and Cubs from my phone in 4G. It was pretty decent.
    I am jealous.

Turn Off Ads?