Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Passion Pit - Gossamer

Passion Pit - Gossamer

Anyone had a chance to listen to the new Passion Pit album? I enjoyed it more than anticipated.

Between the new release and the Pitchfork feature where he discusses his psychological issues, Michael Angelakos is certainly getting a fair amount of publicity (seems young musicians like Angelakos and Frank Ocean are pretty savvy in regards to drumming up publicity, honest or not).

NPR stream

Pitchfork feature

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Passion Pit - Gossamer

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Anyone had a chance to listen to the new Passion Pit album? I enjoyed it more than anticipated.

Between the new release and the Pitchfork feature where he discusses his psychological issues, Michael Angelakos is certainly getting a fair amount of publicity (seems young musicians like Angelakos and Frank Ocean are pretty savvy in regards to drumming up publicity, honest or not).

NPR stream

Pitchfork feature
    I had been waiting on this album for what seems like forever because I loved Manners so much. Gossamer isn't disappointing, but it's a notch below Manners.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I had been waiting on this album for what seems like forever because I loved Manners so much. Gossamer isn't disappointing, but it's a notch below Manners.
    That's funny, because I thought Manners was a bit of a disappointment after the Chunk of Change EP (though many of the songs from the EP were on the LP). Manners got stale for me rather quickly.

Not sure if you read the Pitchfork piece, but it definitely casts his music in a different light for me.

I haven't listened to the new album yet, but ads for it keep showing up on every site I visit. Perhaps the internet is trying to tell me something.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I haven't listened to the new album yet, but ads for it keep showing up on every site I visit. Perhaps the internet is trying to tell me something.
    Same thing happened to me with Beach House's "Bloom". I went ahead and downloaded it. Didn't stop a damn thing.

NPR stream

Pitchfork feature
    I like the album taken as a whole, but where most good albums have one or two singles that kind of stand out from the rest, I didn't hear any songs that really jumped out from the page. I'm big on synthpop, and no question this was a good synthpop album. Just lacked a memorable tune for me.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I like the album taken as a whole, but where most good albums have one or two singles that kind of stand out from the rest, I didn't hear any songs that really jumped out from the page. I'm big on synthpop, and no question this was a good synthpop album. Just lacked a memorable tune for me.
    A big synthpop fan you say? What's your poison?

Quote Originally Posted by MilotheMayor View Post
    A big synthpop fan you say? What's your poison?
    Well, I'm big on some of the lighter alternative dance type stuff, like Depeche Mode, etc.

I also like some of the newer Hip House, club-oriented music. Flo Rida's dance tunes are pretty catchy. But I realize that's quite a bit different taste.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

That's funny, because I thought Manners was a bit of a disappointment after the Chunk of Change EP (though many of the songs from the EP were on the LP). Manners got stale for me rather quickly.

Not sure if you read the Pitchfork piece, but it definitely casts his music in a different light for me.
    Chunk of Change was awesome, but I liked Manners too. This new record is just so-so to me. It's not bad, but I expected it to be better, especially musically.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 07-30-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Love this album.

Cry Like a Ghost is my favorite probably, but top to bottom I really enjoyed it

Just not my thing.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?