Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Tracking Adam Dunn on the All-Time Career Home Run List

Re: Tracking Adam Dunn on the All-Time Career Home Run List

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    On a side note, there is an urban legend about Johnny Bench taking his glove off and challenging some young hard throwing pitcher to pitch to him while he caught bare handed. Its funny because before anyone had ever heard of Johnny Bench my father told me that story about Lombardi making that challenge to Johnny Vander Meer.
    Just for the record, there is no way I'd offer to catch Vander Meer bare handed.

Here's something cool from google:

http://books.google.com/books?id=W08...page&q&f=false
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Since K's and Ernie Lombardi have entered the discussion. Lombardi only had 262 K's in 17 seasons. He only had three seasons when he K'd more than 20 times and his high was 25 in 1944 (his worst season) when he had 408 PA.s
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Lombardi also had some great years for Brooklyn, giving them three HoF catchers (Campanella, Piazza, and Lombardi). If I were ranking all-time catching among organizations, Brooklyn/LA might be where I start.

Lombardi only played his rookie year with Brooklyn. He had a .752 OPS (OPS+ of 102) in 196 PA. The bulk of his non Reds career was with the NY Giants.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

My entire baseball life, I thought Lombardi played half his career in Brooklyn, the other half in Cincy. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    On page 1, there is a thread about a potential no hitter in Seattle which has nothing to do with the Reds. There is a thread about Joe Torre. No real Reds connection. There is a thread about Derek Jeter and his mystery HBP - again no Reds connection. There is a thread about Vin Scully with again, no Reds connection.

Yet, somehow, a thread tracking the HR journey of the player produced by the Reds system who has a real possibility of becoming only the second guy originating from the long history of the franchise to reach 400 let alone 500 HR is off limits because he is no longer a Red? I don't get it.

I do understand that some may have no interest, but some do so why ruin it with the constant whining? There are threads that don't particularly interest me either. I could care less about uniform styles (but there is a thread about them on page 1) and I don't really care much about Torre retiring nor do I see the big deal about Jeter's HBP gamesmanship, but I don't ruin those threads by whining about them. I simply move on. I'd suggest that people who aren't interested in any topic simply move on and resist the urge for posting things about them being uninteresting. While I'm ranting, I'm also annoyed at posts like "I can't believe we have ... number of pages about ..."

My suggestion to everyone is to participate in threads that interest you and leave discussions that you don't care about alone and let others discuss as they please. As long as its not offensive, illegal or in violation of board taboos, why chime in with this whiney drivel?
    Were you one of the ruined the strikeout thread with "constant whining?" Or did you make a post just like this that said if you don't like it, stay out of it and don't ruin it? This isn't a trick question, I'm just making sure you've been consistent, because I can completely see your point... but want to make sure you supported the other thread in reverse as a consistent principal that people should stay out of stuff if they don't like it. After all, I saw quite a few people immediately jump in and criticize the strikeouts thread.

One thing you're missing about the Derek Jeter thread, Vin Scully thread, etc... those threads haven't been discussed over and over for two years. I'm not saying that justifies not being able to talk about it (I can't emphasize that enough). But it's one thing to talk about Derek Jeter for 2 days until the topic cycles off the front page and continually bumping a thread dedicated to a player's career for two years constantly after his leaving. And again, so I can emphasize this: I personally don't think it shouldn't be able to be talked about. But I definitely see how it would annoy people just as it annoyed people when the strikeout thread was up.

Guess what? A lot of stuff annoys a lot of people here. It's my experience that people come to the defense of stuff they like and complain about stuff they don't. It's nothing against you personal, because we're all guilty of it, but I would be willing to bet sometime at some point you've complained about some topic being discussed or something being said. Yes? We've all done it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    THANK YOU.
    Oh my gosh! That's exactly what I was going to say.

Excellent post 123.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Let's not derail this thread any further by arguing about it's existance. If you have a beef, either take it private or report it to the mods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Let's not derail this thread any further by arguing about it's existance. If you have a beef, either take it private or report it to the mods.
    Are you wearing a shirt Chip?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Are you wearing a shirt Chip?
    God, I hope so.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Were you one of the ruined the strikeout thread with "constant whining?" Or did you make a post just like this that said if you don't like it, stay out of it and don't ruin it? This isn't a trick question, I'm just making sure you've been consistent, because I can completely see your point... but want to make sure you supported the other thread in reverse as a consistent principal that people should stay out of stuff if they don't like it. After all, I saw quite a few people immediately jump in and criticize the strikeouts thread.

One thing you're missing about the Derek Jeter thread, Vin Scully thread, etc... those threads haven't been discussed over and over for two years. I'm not saying that justifies not being able to talk about it (I can't emphasize that enough). But it's one thing to talk about Derek Jeter for 2 days until the topic cycles off the front page and continually bumping a thread dedicated to a player's career for two years constantly after his leaving. And again, so I can emphasize this: I personally don't think it shouldn't be able to be talked about. But I definitely see how it would annoy people just as it annoyed people when the strikeout thread was up.

Guess what? A lot of stuff annoys a lot of people here. It's my experience that people come to the defense of stuff they like and complain about stuff they don't. It's nothing against you personal, because we're all guilty of it, but I would be willing to bet sometime at some point you've complained about some topic being discussed or something being said. Yes? We've all done it.
    Isn't the easy solution if you dislike a topic or thread to ignore it? It's not hurting anyone or anything and this thread has been a good discussion for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Isn't the easy solution if you dislike a topic or thread to ignore it? It's not hurting anyone or anything and this thread has been a good discussion for the most part.
    Absolutely, but it didn't stop people from getting upset about the strikeout thread. That wasn't "ignored."

Just sayin'
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Yeah, you guys don't listen.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?