Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bailey, Votto among today's cuts

Re: Bailey among today's cuts

More from TRent:
    Wayne on Homer: "It’s a situation where he needs to get his innings to start getting ready for the season."

Wayne on Meadows and Ligtenberg: "We just felt there were other people in front of them and we figured we’d do it now instead of later to be fair to them. They’ve been around and we respect their status."

Jerry Narron on Votto: "These other guys like Joey Votto had a very, very good spring. They got experience and got in a lot of games. He made some nice plays defensively, so he did some things other than just his bat. After watching him, I’m not surprised with what he did in AA last year. He’s got a chance to hit."
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    I agree that some fans have been treating him as the Second Coming, but they're only following the lead of the front office. They way Krivsky is handling Bailey, you'd think he was given inside info from the Pope that Homer's going to turn out to be Walter Johnson, but only if you follow these very specific instructions.

I don't disagree that experience is what he needs, but I also don't think he needs the low pressure situation. He seems very comfortable in whatever role he's been in. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to implode under pressure.
    The Reds should be more afraid he'll turn into Edwin Jackson instead of Dwight Gooden, a demotion tells me they don't think that he's ready to 'pitch" in the Bigs. That probably has nothing to do with his stuff and more to do with his game.

After watching him, I’m not surprised with what he did in AA last year. He’s got a chance to hit."
    Votta leads the team in ST Walks... 8, Bellhorn/Hamilton/Hatteberg are next with 5

Dunn has 1, Phillips and Gonzalez have Zero --- Looks like they're getting their swings in.

I agree that some fans have been treating him as the Second Coming, but they're only following the lead of the front office. They way Krivsky is handling Bailey, you'd think he was given inside info from the Pope that Homer's going to turn out to be Walter Johnson, but only if you follow these very specific instructions.

I don't disagree that experience is what he needs, but I also don't think he needs the low pressure situation. He seems very comfortable in whatever role he's been in. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to implode under pressure.
    All very valid points. His makeup seems rock-solid.

My fear is this. Homer is not a sure thing. I'm afraid that we (and I include myself in this group) think he is guaranteed for success. He's not. There are a million and one ways to screw up a young pitcher and the Reds' track record documents each and every of those million and one use cases.

He can blow out his arm. He can get hit on the toe with a line drive. He can get lit up like a Christmas tree in 3-4 starts and get Reithed. He can sneeze and sprain his eyelid. The Reds can still screw him up. Let's take a tried-and-true way of easing him in. Don't take chances, don't throw him to the wolves, and always always always let the long term success override any short term need.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I'd like to see Homer get another full year in the minors before the Reds figure out whether to use him as a starter or a reliever. He's still neon green and I figure he'll have his hands full in the upper minors. In fact, I'd start him in AA just to ease him into the season. If he goes on a tear you can always promote him, but he's having location problems at the moment and that could lead to some serious spankings in AAA. Fortunately, the Reds seem to understand the need for caution with him.

Votto's certainly done everything right this spring. Given the age and track records of the Reds' 1B combo, he'll likely have a whale of an opportunity to waltz into a full-time gig this summer.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If that's the plan, why not leave him with the big club now? His stuff is superior to anyone currently in the pen.
    It's not the plan, at least not this season.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

yeah...

I realize is wasn't to be... but I REALLY wanted to see Votto make the club. He demonstrated superb plate discipline (8 BB... one short of the lead with 1/2 the chances of anyone else) and was involved in a number of comeback surges this Spring. He'll be an All-Star some day.

At least we have him just down the road a bit in AAA.

Jerry Narron on Votto: "These other guys like Joey Votto had a very, very good spring. They got experience and got in a lot of games. He made some nice plays defensively, so he did some things other than just his bat. After watching him, I’m not surprised with what he did in AA last year. He’s got a chance to hit."

Meaning: If Votto was 35 yrs old he would have won the starting job.

homer is not ready for the majors

Quote Originally Posted by IamWallaman View Post
    I realize is wasn't to be... but I REALLY wanted to see Votto make the club. He demonstrated superb plate discipline (8 BB... one short of the lead with 1/2 the chances of anyone else) and was involved in a number of comeback surges this Spring. He'll be an All-Star some day.

At least we have him just down the road a bit in AAA.
    It's been a good spring for a lot of young hitters. Josh Hamilton, Lastings Milledge, Billy Butler, Alex Gordon, Hunter Pence, Ryan Braun, Howie Kendrick, James Loney and Yuniel Escobar have all been tearing it up. Cameron Maybin and Andrew McCutcheon have looked good too.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Just my opinion, but I'd like to see Homer make his first appearance in relief in a blow-out game on the road like the Astros did with Oswalt.

Not so much to groom him as a reliever, but just to get that first MLB appearance out of the way without an undue amount of pressure. Us Reds fans are treating Bailey as the Second Coming and I'm afraid if he made a home start, the pressure to succeed would be enormous and the impact of a failure disproportionately too much. Let him relieve in 3-4 games while ratcheting up the importance of the appearance and then let him have a start. Ease the boy in.

I looked it up and that 2001 season with Oswalt he went 14-3 with 20 starts in 28 games. That's a nice blend and I'd be very happy with that.

I agree but then the Reds lose that 35-40K gate they would get when they announce that Homer was going to start his first major league game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by berryluther View Post

Wonderful.

I agree with all of these moves except Votto, like others have said I wanted him to get more PT, but I guess he never had a chance at making the team so they sent him down early.
    Go Gators!

yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's been a good spring for a lot of young hitters. Josh Hamilton, Lastings Milledge, Billy Butler, Alex Gordon, Hunter Pence, Ryan Braun, Howie Kendrick, James Loney and Yuniel Escobar have all been tearing it up. Cameron Maybin and Andrew McCutcheon have looked good too.
    I'm going to enjoy seeing how our guys compare in a couple years.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I agree with all of these moves except Votto, like others have said I wanted him to get more PT, but I guess he never had a chance at making the team so they sent him down early.
    When in doubt, bet the guy making guaranteed money.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by berryluther View Post

He should have told Jerry he was 35 in Canadian years.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?