Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Brandon Phillips was rolling along, posting this line when he was hit on the hand in Pittsburgh - .296/.347/.481/.829. From the time he came back until the end of the season he put up these numbers - .241/.288/.349/.637.

Coincidence? Maybe. But I think that hand injury was more significant than was thought.

Everyone expected Brandon to 'grow old' sometime during his contract. Did he 'grow old' over the course of six days? Doubtful.

I expect Phillips to bounce back strongly in 2014. I'd like him to see him wearing the
    Wishbone C on Opening Day.

2. Likes:

BCubb2003 (10-08-2013),Brutus (10-08-2013),Crumbley (10-08-2013),dubc47834 (10-08-2013),HeatherC1212 (10-08-2013),IslandRed (10-08-2013),joshua (10-08-2013),M2 (10-08-2013),New Fever (10-08-2013),Norm Chortleton (10-08-2013),Puffy (10-08-2013),REDREAD (10-08-2013),Stingray (10-08-2013),TRF (10-08-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (10-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

ITT: a whole lot of people who assume the Texas Rangers are ready to just up and trade the best prospect in their franchise's history.
    Note to Redszone posters: lose the notion that Profar ever has any chance of being a Red.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

5. Likes:

AmarilloRed (10-08-2013),gilpdawg (10-09-2013),mth123 (10-09-2013),Norm Chortleton (10-08-2013),Puffy (10-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Brandon Phillips was rolling along, posting this line when he was hit on the hand in Pittsburgh - .296/.347/.481/.829. From the time he came back until the end of the season he put up these numbers - .241/.288/.349/.637.

Coincidence? Maybe. But I think that hand injury was more significant than was thought.
    The hand injury could have been a factor or he could have been regressing to the mean. I understand that injuries can linger - especially injuries to an area of a body that has a lot of bones and such - but he took about a week off and had pretty much the best care available to him. I would bet he wasn't going to sustain that line for the rest of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

7. Likes:

Red in Chicago (10-08-2013)

Phillips for Matt Kemp and $40M.

Then sign Alexander Guerrero.

Print NLCS tickets.

Hamilton CF
    Guerrero 2B
    Votto 1B
    Kemp LF
    Bruce RF
    Frazier 3B
    Mesoraco C
    Cozart SS

(I forgot the step where Castellini wins the lottery, but who knows what the budget is)

That said, I'm totally fine with keeping Phillips. Totally fine with it.
    Last edited by Benihana; 10-08-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    ITT: a whole lot of people who assume the Texas Rangers are ready to just up and trade the best prospect in their franchise's history.
    Note to Redszone posters: lose the notion that Profar ever has any chance of being a Red.
    I don't see how the notion is that ridiculous if they don't have a spot for him to play, are getting good production from the positions where he could play and already have those players under contract, and could use another elite arm in their rotation that they could realistically sign long term. The best prospect ever seems like a bit of a stretch to me, especially given his recent performance (albeit at a young age).
    Just call me Legs

I'm very surprised at the bulk of the comments here about BP.
    Two or three months ago I remember very few comments about him being overpriced, trouble in the clubhouse etc. He was leading the league in RBIs, playing unbelievable defense, and frankly, the main reason the Reds were staying in contention. The fact that he's too "mouthy" lately is unfounded as far as I'm concerned, he's been the same guy since he's been here. I also think (hope) he has been banged up physically which might his lack of production towards the end of the year. Don't get me wrong, I was very disappointed in the way he ended the season but I think it would be ridiculous to get rid of him unless what we would get back is very favorable.

12. Likes:

Big Klu (10-09-2013),Falcon7 (10-08-2013),mattfeet (10-08-2013),REDREAD (10-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Phillips for Matt Kemp and $40M.

Then sign Alexander Guerrero.

Print NLCS tickets.

Hamilton CF
    Guerrero 2B
    Votto 1B
    Kemp LF
    Bruce RF
    Frazier 3B
    Mesoraco C
    Cozart SS

(I forgot the step where Castellini wins the lottery, but who knows what the budget is)

That said, I'm totally fine with keeping Phillips. Totally fine with it.
    Kemp is basically always hurt and Guerrero will be in AAA next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rantly View Post
    I'm very surprised at the bulk of the comments here about BP.
    Two or three months ago I remember very few comments about him being overpriced, trouble in the clubhouse etc. He was leading the league in RBIs, playing unbelievable defense, and frankly, the main reason the Reds were staying in contention. The fact that he's too "mouthy" lately is unfounded as far as I'm concerned, he's been the same guy since he's been here. I also think (hope) he has been banged up physically which might his lack of production towards the end of the year. Don't get me wrong, I was very disappointed in the way he ended the season but I think it would be ridiculous to get rid of him unless what we would get back is very favorable.
    I agree 100%.

15. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-08-2013)

I have not read all the posts but if this was thrown out already, my apologies.

Phillips and Bailey to ANA for Trumbo and Kendricks.

You then decide to keep Arroyo, for how long or how much, I don't know....and obviously Choo is gone, but you can still submit an offer to get a draft pick. IF he ends up staying...you still have him in CF and Hamilton can still develop further.
    Last edited by Tony Cloninger; 10-08-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Good lord no, if people think BPO talks too much, Kemp is not who you want to replace that. Not to mention dude cant stay healthy at all. Nick massett and Bill Bray were heard talking about Kemp, saying "man, is he ever not hurt?"
    What has Kemp said to make you say that?

Also, Kemp was injured for the last part of last year, and on and off this year. Before that he played 4 full seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays a full season next year. If the Reds are actually able to get Kemp and salary relief in some kind of a package for Phillips, I think they would be crazy not to take it

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I have not read all the posts but if this was thrown out already, my apologies.

Phillips and Bailey to ANA for Trumbo and Hendricks.

You then decide to keep Arroyo, for how long or how much, I don't know....and obviously Choo is gone, but you can still submit an offer to get a draft pick. IF he ends up staying...you still have him in CF and Hamilton can still develop further.
    I don't want Trumbo anywhere near this team unless we somehow end up with the DH in the NL next year and need a #7 hitter. If you want a guy who swings at everything but still puts up HR numbers, you could get Dunn back for cheaper...and Dunn actually gets on base more than Trumbo.

I think we could get better value out of Bailey than Howie Kendrick.

In fact, I don't want to trade Bailey for a veteren player(s) at all. Our farm system in weak as hall at the top. We could get a decent haul of prospects for a whole year of Homer.

Cubs got Mike Olt, CJ Edwards, Justin Grimm and another guy for half a year of a Matt Garza who was pitching 1.141 WHIP, 3.17 ERA, 3.10 SO/BB in Chicago that year?

What could Reds get for a full season of Homer Bailey who pitched even better? (1.124 WHIP, 3.49 ERA, 3.69 SO/BB over the whole 2013 season) I hope it's a lot more than a veteren who will plug a hole and then demand a bunch of money. We need to shed payroll and rebuild the farm system. 2014 is going to be a transition year anyways. I'd rather build to content in 2015, 16 and 17 than go all in for 2014 and then be left with a mess if we don't win it all.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I know people like to shrug off the 100+ RBI, but the pendelum has swung the other way. RBI is not THE stat, but they aren't worthless either.

If Phillips is swapped out with Henry Rodriguez, there's going to be a significant dropoff in runs scored. Perhaps even if he's swapped out with A Guerero..
    If Phillips isn't swapped out, there's still likely to be a significant dropoff in runs scored. He averaged 73 RBIs the previous three seasons.

RBIs are a good measure of run production, but just year to year. It's situational. He's not likely to be as fortunate in coming years.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    If the Rangers do sign Cano, Profar has no position. Period. I don't care how great a prospect he is, he isn't Cano.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

21. Likes:

joshua (10-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    If the Rangers do sign Cano, Profar has no position. Period. I don't care how great a prospect he is, he isn't Cano.
    If he were the prospect many on here think he is, would they even be pursuing Cano?

23. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    If he were the prospect many on here think he is, would they even be pursuing Cano?
    Wil Myers says hi.

If they think Profar can get them a starter like Bailey and they can sign Cano, they will do it. The Rangers have the money.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?