Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Roberts for Rich Hill and Sean Marshall Trade

Brian Roberts for Rich Hill and Sean Marshall Trade

Cubs Aggressively Pursuing Brian Roberts

UPDATE, 12-5-07 at 8:17pm: ESPN's Steve Phillips says the Orioles "would get Rich Hill and Sean Marshall" for Roberts. Not sure if that means the Cubs offered it. Seems like a lot, but I am an unabashed Rich Hill fan.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brian Roberts for Rich Hill and Sean Marshall Trade

Brian Roberts is an All-Star at second base, but this seems like an awful lot of pitching to give up for a middle infielder.

Great news for the reds i think

I would have liked to land either Rich Hill or Sean Marshall. I would have been ecstatic if we could have gotten both. I see how it weakens the Cubs as far as starting pitching, though.

10:03 p.m., from Amy Nelson
    • If Brian Roberts is traded to the Cubs, it's believed that it might not happen until the Orioles complete a trade for either Erik Bedard or Miguel Tejada. According to a source with knowledge of Baltimore's trade talks, the O's have had so much interest in their players that they "have a lot on their table." But the relationship between Andy McPhail and Cubs GM Jim Hendry dates back several years, so a trade could happen faster than it would with other clubs. Rich Hill, originally thought to be part of a deal, is currently not in the discussions. Instead, Chicago likely would send upper-level prospects to Baltimore. Among the names being considered are Sean Marshall, Sean Gallagher, Felix Pie and Donnie Veal .

So Hill is not part of the proposed deal. This seems more likely.

Felix Pie has to be one of the most over hyped players in baseball right now. The dude is almost the equivalent of Dickerson

It definitely seems like the Cubbies would be overpaying...so, I am all for it. Roberts is a good leadoff man, but giving up two quality young arms for an aging middle-infielder seems crazy.

Rich Hill seems to be out of the deal, so it looks a little different. Sean Marshall or one of the others seems a more equitable deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Felix Pie has to be one of the most over hyped players in baseball right now. The dude is almost the equivalent of Dickerson
    who is more overhyped... Pie or Maybin?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Pie to me just because Maybin is younger

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post

I would say Pie, because he is a Cubbie...it seems like they ALWAYS overhype their youngsters...just like they did with Patterson before him. Maybe it's because we are in the same division and I follow them more than the Tigers though. I still think Maybin will be player (too bad no one will know it now he's a Marlin).

I said this in another thread, but if the Orioles trade Roberts, doesn't that make Brandon Phillips extremely attractive to them in a deal for Bedard?

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TN Red Fan View Post
    I said this in another thread, but if the Orioles trade Roberts, doesn't that make Brandon Phillips extremely attractive to them in a deal for Bedard?
    I'm totally with you here. I'd rather give up Phillips than Hamilton, Votto, or Encarnacion. Removing speedy guys with low OBP is the best way to Dusty-proof your lineup.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

The Orioles are sure to get some pitching out of the Angels for Tejada as well.

Well, if the Reds trade Phillips .... they dumped Cantu... so, that leaves Kepp & Castro... that seems shaky, but honestly I have no problem w/ Kepp playing on a regular basis, our defense would suffer, though, and WK said he expects Kepp to platoon w/ Votto... but honestly I'm not sure he means that ...
    If we traded Phillips we'd shed some payroll in order to make room for Bedard... Phillips is due a big raise..
    but I just don't this happening ... Who knows though.

Turn Off Ads?