Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 UC Football

Re: 2010 UC Football Official Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Cedric gets it. Hoosier, you've got your head so far in the sand I can't dig you out

It was a mistake to ever enter Tennessee into this conversation
    I agree. In the end, what matters is money and UC's athletic department is near the bottom of the BCS schools in this regard.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't think Kelley was going to go anywhere else except Notre Dame.

In an alternate universe, Charlie Weiss has great success at Notre Dame. Brian Kelley stays at UC, annually contends at the BCS level, and builds it into a "destination" program.

Some current destination programs haven't always been that way.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    That's the thing. I don't think a coach would leave UC for Michigan State anymore.

In their best year in recent memory, tMSU went to the Capital One Bowl. Do you think Brian Kelly would have left a team which had just gone to two Sugar Bowls for that?

In all honesty, Tennessee's in a similar position. Sure they can pay more. And they bring in better recruits. And they draw more fans. But at their best are they going to be better than Alabama or Florida? UC may not be either but UC doesn't have to go through either of them to get in a BCS Bowl.

As I said, I think UC is on the next platform down from the top 10 traditional power programs. I think it's about 30-40 programs which are all about equal footing. This encompasses pretty much everyone in the power conferences who regularly expect to go to a bowl game. Plus a few outside teams like BYU and Utah(for now.)
    Michigan State's stadium capacity is 75000, Nippert is 35000. MSU plays in the Big 10, which right now generates the most revenue out of any conference in football. MSU has better football facilities and a bigger AD budget. If MSU wanted to hire a coach away from UC they would.

UT is in the same position as MSU. A coach would be crazy to turn down a job opportunity from UT to stay at UC. Just a year or so ago UT showed the main difference between the two schools. UT could "pay" UC to come down and play them in Knoxville. UC doesn't have that leverage now and I doubt they ever will. Until UC quits shilling themselves out for money (look at the VaTech deal last year) they aren't a top 25 type program.

jredmo2

To be honest, I think it's pointless to berate UC for not being in the same class as the top ten traditional schools.

And really, among those 10 schools, there are class divisions. Ohio State drives revenue like crazy, yet clearly cannot compete with the top 4 or 5 football programs in the nation on the field at this point. For whatever reason, they (and, just for the record, everybody else as well -- I'm not hating on OSU per se, just making a point) have been completely outclassed by the SEC top dogs, be it due to raw talent, coaching philosophy, or whatever.

Now as I'm sure every OSU fan is tired of hearing about how OSU isn't in the same class as top-tier SEC schools, UC fans are tired of "never" being able to compete with OSU, the Big Ten, and "real" college football.
    Last edited by jredmo2; 07-30-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jredmo2 View Post
    To be honest, I think it's pointless to berate UC for not being in the same class as the top ten traditional schools.

And really, among those 10 schools, there are class divisions. Ohio State drives revenue like crazy, yet clearly cannot compete with the top 4 or 5 football programs in the nation on the field at this point. For whatever reason, they (and, just for the record, everybody else as well -- I'm not hating on OSU per se, just making a point) have been completely outclassed by the SEC top dogs, be it due to raw talent, coaching philosophy, or whatever.

Now as I'm sure every OSU fan is tired of hearing about how OSU isn't in the same class as top-tier SEC schools, UC fans are tired of "never" being able to compete with OSU, the Big Ten, and "real" college football.
    If someone is such a UC homer that they think UC has attained heights reached by MSU or UT then they have to be called on the carpet

From a sheer revenue driven standpoint UC can not compete with the higher tier schools. It isn't a knock on UC it is just demonstrating the economics of college football. When two schools can generate $100M (Texas and OSU) for the athletic department it makes things a whole lot easier. They have facilities that are equal or better to most professional teams.

The issue I have is that some are being unrealistic when it comes to UC football. I do give them credit because they have risen from afterthoughts to a nice football program. I see them on a similar level to a lot of second tier BCS conference schools. I do think that if a coaches leaves UC in all likelihood it won't be a lateral move. That said I just don't see UC competing with schools with either a storied football history or a much larger AD budget. In 3 years if UT came calling on Butch Jones and doubled his salary as well as his assistant coaches salary do you think he would leave?

jredmo2

If someone is such a UC homer that they think UC has attained heights reached by MSU or UT then they have to be called on the carpet
    True, historically, that's completely ludicrous. But programs, aside from a select few (OSU being one), tend to rise and fall. Is the SEC ALWAYS going to be this dominant? I'd say not -- we could even be witnessing the beginning of the end this year, who knows. Plenty of programs of comparable stature to UC's have turned in sustained runs of relevance. Plenty of programs have gone from powerhouse to also-ran (Washington, anybody?).

While I agree that UC has a lot to prove, and that a 3-4 year run is hardly a sustained program, I wouldn't be so dismissive of UC's chances. Things change.

True, historically, that's completely ludicrous. But programs, aside from a select few (OSU being one), tend to rise and fall. Is the SEC ALWAYS going to be this dominant? I'd say not -- we could even be witnessing the beginning of the end this year, who knows. Plenty of programs of comparable stature to UC's have turned in sustained runs of relevance. Plenty of programs have gone from powerhouse to also-ran (Washington, anybody?).

While I agree that UC has a lot to prove, and that a 3-4 year run is hardly a sustained program, I wouldn't be so dismissive of UC's chances. Things change.
    UT has been a far superior program to UC in my entire lifetime. In the 70s I went to UC games during the Tony Mason era and they played teams like Villanova while Tennessee played before 90K fans vs Bear Bryant. UC isn't likely to pass UT anytime soon.

Ohio State gets beat in two games and they aren't elite enough to compete?

Ohio State winning a title is WAY more likely than UC constantly becoming a power on their level. Sorry if that hurts.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

jredmo2

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Ohio State gets beat in two games and they aren't elite enough to compete?
    I thought it was 9 games?

And what is wrong with that? The last time the #1 program in the nation had many fine candidates to choose from, they chose...Lane Kiffin

If the top program in the country chose the same coach Tennessee did then what's your point?
    Of course we don't know how many people turned them down(aside from Sarkesian) because they knew the hammer was about to get thrown down by the NCAA. But fair point.

As for what everyone else is saying, I agree with you. tMSU and Tennessee and every other middle of the road Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10 team with 90 years of tradition and millions more in revenue will never be as close to the edge of falling down as UC. As I've said time and time again, UC may be on the same platform, but they're not comfortable there and one bad coach can knock them off to the world below Fresno State.
    But unlike those programs who will have to wait for a recruiting scandal or some other fluke to elevate them to be #1 or #2 in their conference, UC is poised to go to a third BCS game in a row. Winning the Big East isn't winning the SEC I'll acknowledge, but it's not winning the MAC conference either. The fact that they get to go to a BCS game is a huge deal. How do you like tMSU's chances of reaching a BCS game in the next 5 years?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Winning the Big East isn't winning the SEC I'll acknowledge, but it's not winning the MAC conference either. The fact that they get to go to a BCS game is a huge deal. How do you like tMSU's chances of reaching a BCS game in the next 5 years?

I hope they do. That'd be a great accomplishment for UC. And I hope Butch Jones leads them to many BCS berths for ten years but my hunch is if Butch is as successful as Kelly was, he too will leave for greener pastures. When UC can retain a successful coach their program will have arrived

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Coach Butch Jones told ESPN.com's Brian Bennett that USC wide receiver Brandon Carswell will stay in Los Angeles and not transfer to Cincinnati, as it was believed he was going to do.
    As Bennett notes, it would've been unlikely that Carswell would see a large role in a Bearcat offense that features Armon Binns, D.J. Woods and Vidal Hazelton.

Aug. 2 - 8:00 p.m. ET

Source: ESPN.com

I hope they do. That'd be a great accomplishment for UC. And I hope Butch Jones leads them to many BCS berths for ten years but my hunch is if Butch is as successful as Kelly was, he too will leave for greener pastures. When UC can retain a successful coach their program will have arrived
    If Butch Jones puts together a run like Kelly then UC will be a completely different program than it is at this moment. At that point UC is well on its way to having a much larger program in terms of $. I really don't think keeping a coach at that point will be near the issue as it is now. Not saying Jones wouldn't leave, but its not the money in the bank bet some see it as.

On a much rosier note, here is a sneak peek at the Football Opening for 2010 to get everyone fired up for the season.

Turn Off Ads?