Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Junior Griffey's dedication as a Red

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Greinke having elbow problems

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    Griffey is one of the greatest hitters of all time and was one of the most fantastic athletes to ever play baseball. Its not the decline of production, but rather a decline in his overall fitness which obviously declined more than it probably should have
    Oh, you better brace yourself. People are still not ready to hear the truth on this matter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    True but all the aforementioned three were. Howard played college basketball at OSU, Google a Stargell card from 1967 then 1979 that's just 12 years man.

The Killer in a Senators uniform isn't dumpy I'm telling ya that.

Guys get thick, even athletes and the even the top ones.
    So what is your point? Are you arguing that Griffey wasn't vastly out-of-shape the latter part of his career? Griffey was not "thick." He was "fat."

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Oh, you better brace yourself. People are still not ready to hear the truth on this matter.
    That's it. It's morphin time.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Salukifan2

So what is your point? Are you arguing that Griffey wasn't vastly out-of-shape the latter part of his career? Griffey was not "thick." He was "fat."
    If griffey was only thick then david wells and tony gwynn were just a little husky

Griffey is one of the greatest hitters of all time and was one of the most fantastic athletes to ever play baseball. Its not the decline of production, but rather a decline in his overall fitness which obviously declined more than it probably should have
    His declined can be directly linked to his injuries. If his injures lead to overall decline in fitness, then fine, but lets be clear, if he doesn't suffer the injuries he suffered, his production doesn't decline as it did.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    His declined can be directly linked to his injuries. If his injures lead to overall decline in fitness, then fine, but lets be clear, if he doesn't suffer the injuries he suffered, his production doesn't decline as it did.
    Agreed.

If griffey was only thick then david wells and tony gwynn were just a little husky
    Fat Elvis didn't think anything of Griffey's weight gain. Jessica Simpson thought he looked great.

When I hear some say Jr was lazy... which simply astounds me..... to me, that only reveals that root of bitterness and resentment that his career as a Red wasn't up to some fan's liking because of the injuries. I, as a die-hard Red fan, was just as frustrated at Jr's injuries. But go back and look at HOW Jr incurred those various, especially the really serious incidents, which, with a lot of players, are career-threatening. It wasn't because he was lazy and fat, but on the field hustling, trying to make a play. Lazy and fat players don't dive after balls, crash into walls.

Fans are disappointed that Jr's career as a Red wasn't what they wanted/expected? I bet nobody's disappointment was as great as Jr's.

Centerfielder Ken Griffey Jr. lies on the field after dislocating his shoulder while diving for a ball.

The guy played hard and sacrificed his body out on that field. That's simply the way he played the game. Everyone knew that. And the injuries started to have a cumulative effect, as it would on any player.

Fat and lazy players don't go through the numerous, and agonizing, surgeries and physical rehabs that Griffey did, trying to keep coming back and prove themselves because they wanted to be on that field. He didn't do that because he needed the money. He did it because he wanted to play and contribute. He loved being a Red.

And it was well-known in that clubhouse, and with the players and staff, that Jr worked harder then anyone to comeback from those various injuries.

Fat and lazy didn't slow this man or cause his decline. The injuries did. It was just tough luck.

And anyone who calls Jr fat and lazy doesn't know what they are talking about IMO.
    Last edited by GAC; 03-12-2013 at 05:35 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

10. Likes:

757690 (03-12-2013),919191 (03-13-2013),bigredmechanism (03-12-2013),Chip R (03-12-2013),dougdirt (03-12-2013),HeatherC1212 (03-12-2013),Homer Bailey (03-12-2013),jimbo (03-12-2013),mth123 (03-12-2013),OldRightHander (03-18-2013),pahster (03-12-2013),Plus Plus (03-12-2013),RedEye (03-12-2013),remdog (03-12-2013),Revering4Blue (03-12-2013),RFS62 (03-13-2013),RichRed (03-12-2013),SweetLou1990 (03-12-2013),The Operator (03-12-2013),TRF (03-12-2013),westofyou (03-12-2013),WVRedsFan (03-12-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Blitz, you seenm to be continually contradicting yourself on this issues.

You sure seem certain that Griffey was in poor shape and lazy with your reference above as the the "truth on this matter", and your previous quote "Someone dedicated to the game and being the best they could be would NEVER have gotten overweight and out-of-shape like Griffey was for the latter part of his career".

Yet you also say "We have no way proving that he was lazy or not lazy".

At the end of the day you have you opinion, but you admit that you can't prove it.

I think what you really mean is that "people are not ready to hear your unsubstantiated opinion on the matter".

12. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-12-2013),dougdirt (03-12-2013),mdccclxix (03-13-2013),RedEye (03-12-2013),Revering4Blue (03-12-2013),The Operator (03-12-2013),westofyou (03-12-2013),WVRedsFan (03-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Blitz, you seenm to be continually contradicting yourself on this issues.

You sure seem certain that Griffey was in poor shape and lazy with your reference above as the the "truth on this matter", and your previous quote "Someone dedicated to the game and being the best they could be would NEVER have gotten overweight and out-of-shape like Griffey was for the latter part of his career".

Yet you also say "We have no way proving that he was lazy or not lazy".

At the end of the day you have you opinion, but you admit that you can't prove it.

I think what you really mean is that "people are not ready to hear your unsubstantiated opinion on the matter".
    Not following your logic here at all. I'm not "contradicting" myself by admitting it's not a FACT that Griffey was lazy. I strongly believe he was lazy, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I have 100 percent of the information. Would you have preferred if I said "It's a proven fact that Griffey was lazy" instead of clearly saying it was MY OPINION that Griffey was lazy?

There's no doubt in my mind that Griffey was lazy. But I can still recognize the difference between fact and opinion. What's interesting is so many in this thread are pretending as if it's a fact that Griffey was NOT lazy.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Not following your logic here at all. I'm not "contradicting" myself by admitting it's not a FACT that Griffey was lazy. I strongly believe he was lazy, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I have 100 percent of the information. Would you have preferred if I said "It's a proven fact that Griffey was lazy" instead of clearly saying it was MY OPINION that Griffey was lazy?
    You are constantly going between statements which suggest that "it's the truth" and then admitting you really have no idea.

You basically did a drive by shooting of Griffey's reputation with zero facts to base it on.

15. Likes:

Homer Bailey (03-12-2013),Razor Shines (03-13-2013),RedEye (03-12-2013),Revering4Blue (03-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    You are constantly going between statements which suggest that "it's the truth" and then admitting you really have no idea.

You basically did a drive by shooting of Griffey's reputation with zero facts to base it on.
    A drive-by shooting of Griffey's reputation! This is getting rich.

Again, what's amazing is that the Griffey fans act like it's a fact that it was just "bad luck" that led to his decline. Sorry gents (and ladies), that's called your opinion. It's your opinion it was bad luck. It's my opinion it was partially bad luck and partially due to Griffey being a lazy, entitled player. You don't get fat and out of shape like that if you're dedicated to the game IMO (you catch those last three letters, Puff?).

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    When I hear some say Jr was lazy... which simply astounds me.....
    Likewise, it "astounds" me that some believe there isn't middle ground here. It's as if you have to believe Griffey's decline was 100 percent due to "bad luck" or 100 percent because of laziness. I think it was due to both. That's my opinion.

Is that theory really so difficult to believe? I understand the biggest Griffey fans don't want to admit one of their favorite players of all time got "fat and happy" later in his career, but we have evidence to the contrary. Example: Double chin. Doesn't make it a 100 percent fact that Griffey was "lazy" but certainly you can understand how some Reds fans would feel that way. Or maybe not; who knows.

Fact. Griffey dislocated his shoulder going all out for a ball.
    Fact. Griffey tore his hamstring completely off the bone.
    Fact. That surgery had never been performed before on any MLB Player.
    Fact. Griffey posted this line as a Red: .270 .362 .514 .876 122 OPS+

Fact. 1st healthy season after three years of injuries at age 35 he posted this line: .301 .369 .576 .946 with 35 HR's
    Fact. then next year he posted this line at age 36: .252 .316 .486 .802
    Fact. and finally at age 37... .277 .372 .496 .869

lazy my ass.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

19. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-12-2013),dougdirt (03-12-2013),jimbo (03-12-2013),OnBaseMachine (03-12-2013),RedEye (03-12-2013),Revering4Blue (03-12-2013),SweetLou1990 (03-12-2013),The Operator (03-12-2013),WVRedsFan (03-12-2013)

"My" point is that folks can can randomly say guys like Musial and Williams didn't get thicker and I can trot out twice as many guys who did. "My" point is sitting on your arse and typing on the keyboard that Ken Griffey was lazy is just nothing more than lazy analysis, thick with innuendo and conjecture.

That my friend is "My" point.

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-12-2013),RFS62 (03-13-2013)

Turn Off Ads?