Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

Re: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    The fact that the Yankees are balking at perhaps overpaying the face of their current franchise and an all-time Yankee legend, while at the same time they are signing AJ Burnett's insane paychecks, is laughable. Maybe $15 mil is what Jeter is worth on the field, but I have to think what he means to the team/fans/city/history is worth something too. Not $25 mil per, but maybe they meet in the middle around $19-20 mil per.

Bill Simmons was lobbying on a recent podcast that the BoSox should sign him to play third. I cannot express how much I would LOVE to see that happen, if not just to stick it to the Yankees and their fans. (Plus, Jeter is probably better off at third than SS these days.)
    NOT FUNNY!!!!!
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I hope Jeter gets it. Why, because the Yankees set the whole thing up when they gave A-Roid that ridiculous contract that lasts until the end of time. Say what you will, but if Jeter retires today, which he could do and still get into the HOF, the Yankees will not be as good as they were last year -- especially paying big bucks for Posada, Burnett and the aformentioned 3b.
    A-Rod was signed at age 31 coming off a season of .314/.422/.645/1.067 with 54HR, 156 RBI and 143 Runs Scored. He was signed when he was still regarded as clean and the contract would take him through breaking the all time HR record (and if he was clean, would net back a ton of money to pay for the contract). I know this is what Jeter is probably looking at, but if he can't see the difference in the situations, he's delusional.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    A-Rod was signed at age 31 coming off a season of .314/.422/.645/1.067 with 54HR, 156 RBI and 143 Runs Scored. He was signed when he was still regarded as clean and the contract would take him through breaking the all time HR record (and if he was clean, would net back a ton of money to pay for the contract). I know this is what Jeter is probably looking at, but if he can't see the difference in the situations, he's delusional.
    All good points. But the situations are similar in two respects. The Yankees were/are bidding against themselves and both players ended up alienating their fans.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I'm demanding the Yankee give me 6 years and $150 million too or else I won't play for them next year either!

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    The whole thing makes me smile.

The Skankees will eventually overpay big time, and Jeter will still act all offended.

If he had been the real team player he's glorified to be, he would have moved to second or third base when they got Arod, a far superior shortstop.

Now this hero of all Yankeedom will personify the most important Yankee tradition of all..... greed.
    Yep. I hope the Yankees overpay big-time for Jeter, and that it bites them big-time.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Yep. I hope the Yankees overpay big-time for Jeter, and that it bites them big-time.
    The Yankees don't get bitten by how much they pay them, they can only get bitten by how much they play them.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

JETER TO SAWX...

sorry blum!!!

Of course, there is a Yankee free agent the Red Sox could consider making a great big over market offer to that wouldn't bother me a bit.

I don't believe the Red Sox would go after Jeter for that kinda money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I don't believe the Red Sox would go after Jeter for that kinda money.
    I'm thinking Theo would laugh out loud and then take another sip of his double mocha Starbucks and get back to reading the WSJ.

Sawx are way too smart for a Jeter move, even if it would goose the hell out of the Yanks.
    Last edited by WMR; 11-27-2010 at 11:50 PM.

I doubt if Jeter gets a six year contract either. What's he Thinkin'?

Well, I'm sure it's a negotiating position. If you want something outrageous, you start with a demand that makes your final acceptable position seem reasonable in contrast.

Whatever he ends up with, it will seem much more palatable compared to the ridiculous starting point his agent has put out there.

And in the end, he'll be able to say he stayed above the fray, letting his agent handle the dirty business of contract negotiation.

He'll say things like "I'm just glad we got a deal done and I get to remain a Yankee for life".
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

He is probably thinking he wants more than the 2 or 3 years that the Yanks are offering, so he counters with 6, and they settle on 4. I don't see how A) Jeter turns down the money the Yanks are offering and B) the Yanks letting their captain play for another team over money.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If they thought he was clean, they deserve everything they get. Karma, baby, Karma.
    Where we gonna go?

He's worth every penny...

Turn Off Ads?