Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BA Top 50 Midseason Prospects

BA Top 50 Midseason Prospects

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...0/2610314.html

Chapman #14.

No other Red, including Devin Mesoraco, made the Top 50.

Begin complaining now...
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: BA Top 50 Midseason Prospects

Not worth complaining as far as Reds go. I think they have it right as of today. There are some guys listed who I feel don't belong on the list, but in particular for the Reds, I think they have it right with only Chapman as a Top 50 guys today.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not worth complaining as far as Reds go. I think they have it right as of today. There are some guys listed who I feel don't belong on the list, but in particular for the Reds, I think they have it right with only Chapman as a Top 50 guys today.
    So you don't think Mez (or Alonso for that matter) is a Top 50 guy?

I don't at this point, but I'm surprised to hear that you would agree.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    So you don't think Mez (or Alonso for that matter) is a Top 50 guy?

I don't at this point, but I'm surprised to hear that you would agree.
    I mean I haven't exactly gone through my Top 50 and figured out who all is eligible/ineligible. One thing to note with this list is that no 2010 draftees are here regardless of whether they have signed or not. So as I said, I think Mesoraco for example is better than some guys on this list, that doesn't make him a top 50 guy necessarily because some guys aren't even eligible for this list who are eligible for prospect lists.

Alonso has been hitting very well lately and has looked good as well watching him. He even looks a little better in left field. Still, he is going to need to show the skills he has showed in the past, in particular the plate discipline to get back in the top 50 for me.

Alonso will climb back up if he recovers.

Half a season of numbers isnt enough to drive Devin up to 50.

Frazier is the one probably losing the most real value of our prospects.

But it's odd you don't think Mesoraco is a Top 50 prospect in baseball, doug. As much as you've trumpted him in the past and as well as he's played so far this season, it's a suprise that you don't have him higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    But it's odd you don't think Mesoraco is a Top 50 prospect in baseball, doug. As much as you've trumpted him in the past and as well as he's played so far this season, it's a suprise that you don't have him higher.
    He is certainly a Top 100 prospect. He actually may be there. Like I said, I haven't broken down a list. But my gut feeling is he is just on the outside right now. Of course, my gut feeling last year was that most of the guys ranked in my own top 50 shouldn't have been but I couldn't find better guys either.

This being the case, even more puzzling to me is why people wouldn't trade him for Cliff Lee. The only prospects that I refuse to deal are guys that are Top 25 prospects in the game at a position where there is a real need, and even then I'm listening.

To not trade a player who is acknowledged to not be a Top 50 prospect in the game, who plays the same position as the guy you just drafted in the top half of the first round (and is expected to move quickly), is just mind-boggling to me. I love that the Reds now have a pretty good prospect at a position where it is had to find those. But I would love even more having an ace pitcher to propel the Reds to the World Series. How anyone can not see that is beyond me.
    Go BLUE!!!

This being the case, even more puzzling to me is why people wouldn't trade him for Cliff Lee. The only prospects that I refuse to deal are guys that are Top 50 prospects in the game at a position where there is a real need, and even then I'm listening.

To not trade a player who is acknowledged to not be a Top 50 prospect in the game, who plays the same position as the guy you just drafted in the top half of the first round (and is expected to move quickly), is just mind-boggling to me. I love that the Reds now have a pretty good prospect at a position where it is had to find those. But I would love even more having an ace pitcher to propel the Reds to the World Series. How anyone can not see that is beyond me.
    I guess I would say because if Mesoraco keeps it up for the rest of the season in AA, he could be a Top 25 prospect. Even today, he is a much better prospect than the guy we just took in the 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I guess I would say because if Mesoraco keeps it up for the rest of the season in AA, he could be a Top 25 prospect. Even today, he is a much better prospect than the guy we just took in the 1st round.
    But do you really want to play the IF/COULD game? Because I guess I would counter with:

IF the Reds get Cliff Lee (or some equivalent now that he's gone), they COULD win the World Series.

Isn't that kind of the point of this whole thing? I guess the answer to that depends on whether you really care about the REDS or the REDS MINOR LEAGUES. Not knocking you personally, because I also (clearly) love following prospects, but at a certain point you need to remember why we care.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-10-2010 at 02:16 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

You have no idea what the Reds offered for Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    You have no idea what the Reds offered for Lee.
    Is this directed towards me?

If so, I never implied that I did, thank you very much. I am having a discourse about whether people on this board were inclined to include Mesoraco in a trade.
    Go BLUE!!!

Is this directed towards me?

If so, I never implied that I did, thank you very much. I am having a discourse about whether people on this board were inclined to include Mesoraco in a trade.
    You certainly did with your counter argument on Lee and the WS. Either way to suggest that people didnt want to include Mes because they care about the minor leagues and not the major leagues. Im in the not for Lee camp when it comes to Mes because catching prospects with good peripherals, power, throwing out the amount of guys hes throwing dont grow on trees. Trading potential top 25 catching prospects for a rental seems like a bad idea to me. I'm willing to give up a ton for Lee if we had to, but I do draw a line and that line generally includes a VERY hard to replace talent.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    You certainly did with your counter argument on Lee and the WS. Either way to suggest that people didnt want to include Mes because they care about the minor leagues and not the major leagues. Im in the not for Lee camp when it comes to Mes because catching prospects with good peripherals, power, throwing out the amount of guys hes throwing dont grow on trees. Trading potential top 25 catching prospects for a rental seems like a bad idea to me. I'm willing to give up a ton for Lee if we had to, but I do draw a line and that line generally includes a VERY hard to replace talent.
    Show me where I claimed to know what the Reds offered for Lee.
    Go BLUE!!!

Show me where I claimed to know what the Reds offered for Lee.
    Your stance is that you dont know why people wouldnt want to deal him for Lee. I certainly take it like you are implying the Reds missed their chance by not offering all they could for Lee.

Turn Off Ads?