Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Griffey returning to Seattle?

Griffey returning to Seattle?

From Ken Rosenthal / FoxSports.com via mlbtraderumors.com...

Ken Griffey Jr., Reds: He's hot, his team's not.

Griffey, 37, is sixth in the National League in OPS. The Reds are in a 2-11 free-fall, and their sorry bullpen will prevent them from competing even in the modest N.L. Central. Trading Griffey would help free up money to re-sign Adam Dunn, whom the Reds control only through next season.
    The bulk of Griffey's contract is behind him — he is guaranteed $12.5 million both this season and next, with a $16.5 million option or $4 million buyout for 2009. He does, however, possess full no-trade protection, and in the past has expressed an interest in playing only for teams that train near his Orlando home — most notably, the Yankees, Astros and Braves. At this stage of his career, the chance to win a World Series probably would take priority over travel convenience. A return to the Mariners as a right fielder/DH might intrigue him; the M's are planning special events for Griffey when the Reds visit Seattle during inter-league play from June 22 to 24.

I just can't see him wanting to go back to a team that doesn't have a chance to win a title. It would be nice to get out of that cost for next year so that we can go out and perhaps pick up a closer or another right handed bat. With his and Milton's contract off the books, and maybe a little bump in the payroll (if you wouldn't mind Mr. Castellini ), we could pick a few big pieces...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Griffey returning to Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post

Griffey, 37, is sixth in the National League in OPS. The Reds are in a 2-11 free-fall, and their sorry bullpen will prevent them from competing even in the modest N.L. Central. Trading Griffey would help free up money to re-sign Adam Dunn, whom the Reds control only through next season.
    The bulk of Griffey's contract is behind him — he is guaranteed $12.5 million both this season and next, with a $16.5 million option or $4 million buyout for 2009. He does, however, possess full no-trade protection, and in the past has expressed an interest in playing only for teams that train near his Orlando home — most notably, the Yankees, Astros and Braves. At this stage of his career, the chance to win a World Series probably would take priority over travel convenience. A return to the Mariners as a right fielder/DH might intrigue him; the M's are planning special events for Griffey when the Reds visit Seattle during inter-league play from June 22 to 24.

I just can't see him wanting to go back to a team that doesn't have a chance to win a title. It would be nice to get out of that cost for next year so that we can go out and perhaps pick up a closer or another right handed bat. With his and Milton's contract off the books, and maybe a little bump in the payroll (if you wouldn't mind Mr. Castellini ), we could pick a few big pieces...
    The Reds need:

1. a closer
    2. IF Bray comes back healthy and effective we still need one more reliable arm for the late innings
    3. a catcher who can hit .250 and handle a pitching staff
    4. a 3rd baseman
    5. Votto has to be the real deal
    6. Belisle has to be an effective 3rd starter.
    7. Bailey has to be the real deal immediatley ( i suspect Lohse is a goner after 2007 )
    8. No injuries to Phillips, Gonzo, Dunn, Hamilton, Griffey, Harang, Arroyo,Weathers

IF all that happens then the Reds will be a playoff contender in 2008.

Now you know why speculation is staring that a healthy productive Griffey might want out if Cincinnati.

Rosenthal is pretty much irrelevant.... This is a perfect example of a lazy writer going with the easiest possible tripe.

1. The Ms dont want him since guillen is having a very good year so far in RF for them and they seem very pleased with the empty production from Vidro at DH (plus they've got about $12M invested in him).

2. Griffey sure as heck doesn't want Seattle. He wasn't crying when he left for starters. But more importantly, there isn't a farther place from Florida than Seattle in baseball terms. There is a reason it's difficult to get free agents to come to Seattle and it has nothing to do with wins and losses and every thing to do with time zones and travel etc....

3. Now factor in the reality that a significant portion of Griffey's contract is still sitting there to the tune of about $50 million when considering '07, '08 and his buyout (though a condition of a trade would likely be picking up the '09 option) plus the deferred money he's still owed (I think it's somewhere around $24M). Also consider DH is one of the easiest positions to find decent compromises with the bat. It's virtually impossible to trade Jr to anyone IMHO......
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Does some sportswriter just cut and paste this once or twice a year?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Now factor in the reality that a significant portion of Griffey's contract is still sitting there to the tune of about $50 million when considering '07, '08 and his buyout (though a condition of a trade would likely be picking up the '09 option) plus the deferred money he's still owed (I think it's somewhere around $24M).
    As I understand the mechanics of Griffey's contract, you're double-counting the deferred money. Those payments, which don't start until after his contract ends, will come from the proceeds of investments -- annuities, probably -- and part of what the Reds are spending on Griffey every year is to make sure those investments are fully funded by the time payouts start. He's drawing "only" $6 million in actual salary this year. JaxRed has estimated the annual present-day value of his contract -- salary + funding the future deferrals -- at $10-something million. If true, then the Reds have around $22-23 million in remaining cash obligations, factoring in what's already been paid this year and presuming they buy out 2009.

Of course, you're probably right when you say he'd want the 2009 option picked up in return for waiving his no-trade, so the Reds would have to kick in some cash to make a deal happen, I imagine.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post

the M's are planning special events for Griffey when the Reds visit Seattle during inter-league play from June 22 to 24.

And I will be there for all three , I'll be cheering for him, whichever team he's on then
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I'd hate to think how putrid this lineup would be right now with Griffey.

BaseballBum

He's way too big of a risk for any team to shell out $20+ million over the next two years. A few healthy months is not going to convince anyone to pick up his contract.

Fine Griffey for Clement and Morrow would be fine by me

Quote Originally Posted by BaseballBum View Post
    He's way too big of a risk for any team to shell out $20+ million over the next two years. A few healthy months is not going to convince anyone to pick up his contract.
    If he is still this hot in July and contenders want a power bat, someone will cough up the money (assuming he wants to be traded).
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 05-18-2007 at 12:13 AM.

If you're going to trade him, trade him to a contender.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I'd hate to think how putrid this lineup would be right now with Griffey.
    Vintage Jr is the main thing worth watching right now.

For a team that can't score runs, why in the world would we want to trade him now? I can't imagine this team without him. Talk about non-scoring.

Balderdash.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    For a team that can't score runs, why in the world would we want to trade him now? I can't imagine this team without him. Talk about non-scoring.

Balderdash.
    why would you want to keep him and spend all of that money for nothing? sure, he's producing and we all like the guy, but the Reds aren't contending anytime soon. what's the use?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Whether he's playing RF for the REDS or the M's, I've got my tickets for Sat/Sun along the RF line in sections 115/114, respectively.

Please, Junior, don't get injured in the next month.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Turn Off Ads?