Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: NBA Draft 2013

Re: NBA Draft 2013

Sucks to be the Lakers. Now if the Rockets really want to impress me as a potential championship team, they'll go back to their classic uniforms.

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

All teams need to go back to the short shorts just for the sheer embarrassment factor

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/94...ts-report-says

Josh McRoberts staying with Bobcats

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Free agent forward Josh McRoberts has agreed to a two-year, $5.5 million deal to remain with the Charlotte Bobcats, said a person familiar with the situation.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on Friday on condition of anonymity because the deal had not yet been made official. Free-agent signings cannot be announced until July 10, according to NBA rules.

The second year of the deal includes a player option, the person said.

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-26-2013),reds44 (07-10-2013),Revering4Blue (07-06-2013),Wonderful Monds (07-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I see Zeller's best comp as Pau Gasol - a skilled big man with great touch around the rim who can use both hands effectively but has questions about toughness. I think Zeller is a little more athletic, but Gasol is more versatile. Gasol is a better passer than Zeller. Gasol has also shown a better outside shot than Zeller, but I think Zeller can do that. At the first practice of the season in October, Zeller was draining outside shots in drills. Chad Ford also reported that Zeller was shooting 72% from the 3 point line in drills before the draft, so he has the ability.

It was frustrating that he didn't shoot more from the outside last year. If teams had to guard Zeller farther from the hoop that would have really opened up Indiana's offense.

I was surprised that Zeller went as high as he did because of some of the questions about his toughness. That said, he's definitely a better player than Tyler, and Tyler showed that he can be a pretty good player at the end of last season. He is right now one of the most skilled big men in the NBA, so if he develops more toughness, I think he can be a really good player.
    The players styles are somewhat similar, but Zeller is missing what might be the most devastating thing about Pau, and that is his height/wingspan. About 3-4 times a game Pau gets an offensive rebound while being boxed out because he can reach about a foot higher than anyone on the court (whether this is an over-the-back violation is another topic for another day, but he seems to get away with it regularly).

It is really hard to find his true comp. He has a strange combination of athleticism, short arms, good size, and an underutilized skill set in college. I compared part of his game earlier to Amar'e because he likes to put the ball on the floor, but I could see him doing a bunch of things. It might be best to put him at the high post and let him distribute (like a Marc Gasol).
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-08-2013)

I'm not sure Zeller is all that athletic. He runs well.

For his sake, hopefully his mid-range game is very good because that is what will dictate his success or failure in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I'm not sure Zeller is all that athletic. He runs well.

For his sake, hopefully his mid-range game is very good because that is what will dictate his success or failure in the NBA.
    From the pre-draft workouts.

The guy I saw get stuffed a hundred times versus Syracuse was far from overwhelmingly athletic. Maybe he's a workout warrior? The t-rex arms certainly don't help.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    The guy I saw get stuffed a hundred times versus Syracuse was far from overwhelmingly athletic. Maybe he's a workout warrior? The t-rex arms certainly don't help.
    His passive ness drove me insane at times. I can't remember how many times I screamed at my TV "dude you're bigger than everyone else... go to the hole strong!" That won't fly in the pros.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Interesting Draft info.

One NBA front-office source shared a tidbit about the Sixers and draft night. The deal with New Orleans was in place days before the draft rolled around.

Three names would have supposedly gotten the deal done: Anthony Bennett, Victor Oladipo and Nerlens Noel. Bennett went first to the Cavaliers. Oladipo was selected second by Orlando, and fortunately for the Sixers, Noel was still on the board when the Pelicans picked at No. 6.

This gives insight into the workings of the draft and how deals get done on that night -- it hardly happens in a five-minute window. Plans and contingency plans are mapped out in advance.
    http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-...ett-or-oladipo

That Philly was open to three players who play very different roles on the court shows what the Sixers wanted — talent. Guys that could be part of the future down the road, not so much next season. With Noel it may work out — if his knee is right he could be the best player out of this draft in three or four years. Which is when it matters because that is when they should have built up talent around him.

Philadelphia is not tanking but they have certainly put themselves in the “Woeful for Wiggins” discussion, and that’s not a bad thing. It’s better than bringing Jrue Holiday, Evan Turner, Thaddeus Young and the rest of the gang back to win 41 games.
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ave-gone-down/
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Assuming health, next year should be a banner year for the NBA. Look at all of the great teams/interesting stories:

In the East:

Miami: Going for Three in a Row. Can their role players/Wade continue to fight father time? Does that even matter when you have LeBron?

Chicago: How will Rose look next year? Can Jimmy Butler keep improving?

Brooklyn: Can the starting five survive a long season? It seems unlikely, but they would be tough to beat if they do.

New York: If they make their 3's, they can beat anyone. How will a potentially full season from Amar'e affect them?

Indiana: Can they continue to improve? Can Hibbert be as good in the regular season as he was in the playoffs? Can George become elite?

In the West:

San Antonio: Can they do it again? (We've asked that question for the last 5 seasons)

Oklahoma City: Can anyone in the West match their athleticism?

Memphis: Will they have enough shooting to open up their offense?

LA Clippers: This might be the ultimate test case on the importance of coaching. Their roster didn't change dramatically (they have a few better shooters), but can Griffin and Jordan make enough improvement on defense/FT shooting for them to become a true contender?

Houston: Who knows what to expect from them? Do we see Good Dwight or Mediocre Dwight? Can Harden play any defense? Can some of their unproven role players step up?

Golden State: Steph's Ankles...Bogut's everything...Lee's everything... Can they integrate Iggy? Can Barnes be more consistent (UNC fans probably say NO)?

LA Lakers: Can they.....Ha HA HAAAAA!!! No they can't.

Denver: What are they doing? Really, what is happening?

Other fun stories: Can the Cavs/Kyrie make the playoffs? Can the Wolves be who we think they can be? Can John Wall play a full season like he ended last season? Just how many dreadful teams will be at the bottom of the East (my guess is 7 or 8)?

Can anyone explain what the Pistons are doing? Are they trying to lead the league in the worst shot in basketball, the long 2 (see: Smith, Josh and Jennings, Brandon)? Are they trying to be first team in NBA history to have three lefties as their top three scorers? Is Joe Dumars seeing how far he can go before he gets fired? How can a team have a backcourt of Rodney Stuckey, Brandon Jenninings, Will Bynum, and a beyond washed up Chauncey Billups? The basketball will never make it to their decent frontcourt because all of those crappy guards will be fighting over who gets to shoot first.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Can anyone explain what the Pistons are doing? Are they trying to lead the league in the worst shot in basketball, the long 2 (see: Smith, Josh and Jennings, Brandon)? Are they trying to be first team in NBA history to have three lefties as their top three scorers? Is Joe Dumars seeing how far he can go before he gets fired? How can a team have a backcourt of Rodney Stuckey, Brandon Jenninings, Will Bynum, and a beyond washed up Chauncey Billups? The basketball will never make it to their decent frontcourt because all of those crappy guards will be fighting over who gets to shoot first.
    Simple answer: attempting to pad the rebounding stats of Monroe and Drummond, due to all of the ill-advised bricks Jennings, Smith and company are sure to launch.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

17. Likes:

CoachBombay (08-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Assuming health, next year should be a banner year for the NBA. Look at all of the great teams/interesting stories:

In the East:

Miami: Going for Three in a Row. Can their role players/Wade continue to fight father time? Does that even matter when you have LeBron?

Chicago: How will Rose look next year? Can Jimmy Butler keep improving?

Brooklyn: Can the starting five survive a long season? It seems unlikely, but they would be tough to beat if they do.

New York: If they make their 3's, they can beat anyone. How will a potentially full season from Amar'e affect them?

Indiana: Can they continue to improve? Can Hibbert be as good in the regular season as he was in the playoffs? Can George become elite?

In the West:

San Antonio: Can they do it again? (We've asked that question for the last 5 seasons)

Oklahoma City: Can anyone in the West match their athleticism?

Memphis: Will they have enough shooting to open up their offense?

LA Clippers: This might be the ultimate test case on the importance of coaching. Their roster didn't change dramatically (they have a few better shooters), but can Griffin and Jordan make enough improvement on defense/FT shooting for them to become a true contender?

Houston: Who knows what to expect from them? Do we see Good Dwight or Mediocre Dwight? Can Harden play any defense? Can some of their unproven role players step up?

Golden State: Steph's Ankles...Bogut's everything...Lee's everything... Can they integrate Iggy? Can Barnes be more consistent (UNC fans probably say NO)?

LA Lakers: Can they.....Ha HA HAAAAA!!! No they can't.

Denver: What are they doing? Really, what is happening?

Other fun stories: Can the Cavs/Kyrie make the playoffs? Can the Wolves be who we think they can be? Can John Wall play a full season like he ended last season? Just how many dreadful teams will be at the bottom of the East (my guess is 7 or 8)?
    Hopefully!

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Simple answer: attempting to pad the rebounding stats of Monroe and Drummond, due to all of the ill-advised bricks Jennings, Smith and company are sure to launch.
    The sad thing is that they just might get into the playoffs in the horrific lower half of the East.

Turn Off Ads?