Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NL MVP McCutchen????

NL MVP McCutchen????

I'm reading this article by Stark and while I agree with many of his decisions here, I can't put McCutchen as mvp. Votto is clearly the best hitter in the game right now and where would the Reds be without him? It amazes me that McCutchen is winning in the Sports Nation poll by a wide margin as well. I guess people like the feel good story rather than what is realistic.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/81...dseason-awards

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NL MVP McCutchen????

He won't be when they finish 10 games under .500.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...tto/index.html

NL MVP
    1. Joey Votto, Reds
    2. Andrew McCutchen, Pirates
    3. David Wright, Mets
    4. Ryan Braun, Brewers
    5. Melky Cabrera, Giants
    6. Carlos Ruiz, Phillies
    7. Carlos Beltran, Cardinals
    8. Carlos Gonzalez, Rockies
    9. Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins
    10. R.A. Dickey, Mets

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...tto/index.html

NL MVP
    1. Joey Votto, Reds
    2. Andrew McCutchen, Pirates
    3. David Wright, Mets
    4. Ryan Braun, Brewers
    5. Melky Cabrera, Giants
    6. Carlos Ruiz, Phillies
    7. Carlos Beltran, Cardinals
    8. Carlos Gonzalez, Rockies
    9. Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins
    10. R.A. Dickey, Mets

Verducci's list seems more logical.

I can definitely see why McCutcheon is being listed very high in the MVP list. Look very closely at his numbers and Joey's. Mac is having a career year, his Pirates are the feel good story of the summer, he plays a more critical defensive position and I feel he has been every bit as important to the Pirates or more so than Votto has been to the Reds in driving both teams pretty much 1 weapon offenses. Just because I'm a Reds and Votto fan doesn't mean I can't see the validity of McCutcheon's argument. In fact if the season ended today I'd vote for Andrew! But there's this funny marathon thing about baseball and its just July 6th and there is a lot of baseball left. Mac and the Pirates were in this position later than this last season and dropped like a bomb once August got going. Let's re-examine this the first week in October.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 07-06-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Right now I would likely pick McCutheon as his Pirates are leading.

Votto beat Pujols in 2010 for largley the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

Same.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Nah. McCutchen's hair bothers me. VOTTOOOOOOOOO

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

I'm surprised by this line of thinking Puffy. I tend to agree with you 90+% of the time, but I don't consider the standings when I consider who the most valuable player is. That person so far has been Votto. It's not absurd to consider AM as the MVP, I just don't think he does anything better than Votto does, other than stealing bases.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Nah. McCutchen's hair bothers me. VOTTOOOOOOOOO

Doesn't bother me ever since Cueto started pitching for the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'm surprised by this line of thinking Puffy. I tend to agree with you 90+% of the time, but I don't consider the standings when I consider who the most valuable player is. That person so far has been Votto. It's not absurd to consider AM as the MVP, I just don't think he does anything better than Votto does, other than stealing bases.
    We don't agree much Homer, but I agree with you 100% here. Convergence of the universe maybe?

I can't overlook a player thats having arguably the best year of any player since Pujols 2008 season. Votto is clearly the best player this year. Just as Pujols won it in 2008 despite his team not making the playoffs, so too should Votto even if the Reds aren't in 1st. I don't think standings should have anything to do with it if the player is having arguably one of the best years of any player (outside of a roided Bonds) in a decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    We don't agree much Homer, but I agree with you 100% here. Convergence of the universe maybe?

I can't overlook a player thats having arguably the best year of any player since Pujols 2008 season. Votto is clearly the best player this year. Just as Pujols won it in 2008 despite his team not making the playoffs, so too should Votto even if the Reds aren't in 1st. I don't think standings should have anything to do with it if the player is having arguably one of the best years of any player (outside of a roided Bonds) in a decade or so.
    If you agree with me, then I know I'm wrong!

For the record, I said the same thing in 2010. I thought Votto deserved to win over Pujols, but it should not have been the margin that it was.

If you agree with me, then I know I'm wrong!

For the record, I said the same thing in 2010. I thought Votto deserved to win over Pujols, but it should not have been the margin that it was.
    Yeah I agree. I know that Strauss of the STL Post Dispatch got a lot of flack for being the only Pujols vote but I didn't think it was as clear cut of a choice as the voters made it out to be. Pujols actually had a better WAR than Votto did that year.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

McCutheon plays a premium defensive postion at an elite level with trumps Votto's elite fielding 1B.

McCutheon's hitting is certainly in the ballpark with Votto.

When elite players are close, the fact they have led their team into the playoffs is the deciding point.

Its a shame the Ruiz is having the season he is having amid the season that the Phillies are having.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?