Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Reds vs. Pirates Friday 8/3

Re: Reds vs. Pirates Friday 8/3

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    You simply have no factual basis for that opinion. ITs an opinion not supported by fact or logic. The basis of your opinion is that Chapman is irrational and that's not a logical argument.
    And you have no factual basis for your opinion. So where does that put us? Also, please don't tell me what my argument is. I never suggested Chapman was irrational. I don't mind him making a purpose pitch there. If he wanted to get in their heads, he obviously succeeded based on the player's reaction.

He wasn't going to give up three runs. He knew it, the Pirates knew it. He hasn't given up three runs all season. He's been on top of his game for five weeks running. He threw one pitch all inning that even came close to a batter and it just happened to be with two outs and nobody on and the league MVP at the plate. If you want to ignore all that and go with the "the situation automatically disqualifies that from being intentional" line, be my guest. I don't buy it (and I don't have a problem with it).

2. Turn Off Ads?

For Christ sake people....Chappy wasn't throwing at him. He was throwing inside and it got a bit too inside.

3 run comfortable not comfortable blah blah blah. Reds win, 4.5 up, smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
    For Christ sake people....Chappy wasn't throwing at him. He was throwing inside and it got a bit too inside.
    The usual voice of reason and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    With a guy who hasn't allowed a run since June 24 (and hasn't allowed more than 2 runs in an outing all season) on the mound, three runs is very comfortable. Especially with the Pirates down to their final out.
    I was completely comfortable.

We are on the brink of something special. Enjoy this time. I wish I had followed better in 1990, second year of college and baseball wasn't a top priority. My mistake.

Taking no chances, I'm on board.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Hard to lose if the other team doesn't score. =)

What I am more interested in than whether Chapman hit him intentionally or not is why he went to the stretch with nobody on base. After he got the lefty out, then he went to the pump for the one pitch to McCutchen. Really weird. Can't argue with the results. He was lights out from the stretch.

I think the situation will decide what the Pirates do tomorrow. If we're up 5-0 in the 8th, or if we're losing by a lot late then I'd expect someone to take a fastball. The Pirates need to win though, giving free bases in our launchpad is often times a bad idea.

Something may not happen tomorrow. It might not even be this series. But we have several games left with these guys this season. At some point, it will happen.

Nothing wrong with sending a message.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    Nothing wrong with sending a message.
    What was the message?

What was the message?
    Get off the plate, you're way too comfortable up there this season.

What was the message?
    We are not backing down! We are here to stay! Nothing comes easy!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    Something may not happen tomorrow. It might not even be this series. But we have several games left with these guys this season. At some point, it will happen.
    It won't because, (1) It wasn't intentional and (2) whatever they can do on the mound we can do better, including nailing a sum *****

Well, McCutcheon thought it was intentional, and seeing as how he's their best player by a mile, he will be protected by one of their pitchers at some point.

I don't think it was, but only Chapman really knows. You could tell by Hanigan's reaction that he thought it was a pitch that got away. I still say it's a good thing if Chapman is borderline wild like that, it just makes hitters that much more uncomfortable knowing that he may not always know where the pitch is going. Like Randy Johnson in the old days.

Turn Off Ads?