Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ACT Test

Re: ACT Test

Quote Originally Posted by flyersbaseball View Post
    My son took it 3 times. 1st time 26, 2nd 30 and 3rd when he did essay included got 28. He ended up with full ride to TOSU.
    Very impressive, but there must have been more than just a 30 on the ACT to earn a full-ride scholarship to Ohio State?

2. Turn Off Ads?

My biggest problem was time-management. Time's very tight on the ACT. At the end of every section, I had 3-5 questions I really had to rush through. I still think I did well though.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I got a 32 my final time taking the test. It's really geared towards testing your 'verbal' ability and English skills and somewhat de-emphasizes Math (which is why I did as well as I did).

I recommend getting one of the computer study aids.
    Awesome, my life is now partially more complete. I beat WMR on the ACT by getting a 33 (which was my one and only try, btw).

From what I remember, the Math and Science sections were a joke, and I remember one section which seemed to be straight vocab, and another section which seemed to be reading comp. (but I could be wrong about those).

I've always wondered why Ohio schools gave a hoot about the ACT, when most other schools looked at the ACT as a supplemental test score. The schools to which I applied cared more about the SAT and SAT II, and the ACT was more of a passing or afterthought.

Thought I'd bump this since I'm takin' this baby for real Saturday. At 8 in the morning- ugh.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Thought I'd bump this since I'm takin' this baby for real Saturday. At 8 in the morning- ugh.

So is my daughter.

8 am is it, ain't no other time to take it.

Get a good night's sleep and eat a good breakfast.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Thought I'd bring this back up to the top as the day creeps ever closer.

Senor Votto

Thought I'd bring this back up to the top as the day creeps ever closer.

If you guess always guess C.

If you guess always guess C.
    So I hear. I also hear that there's no scientific evidence that this is a more common answer choice. So yeah. Judging from Practice tests, there aren't many I have to flat out guess on anyway.

Senor Votto

So I hear. I also hear that there's no scientific evidence that this is a more common answer choice. So yeah. Judging from Practice tests, there aren't many I have to flat out guess on anyway.

The only reason I choose C is because of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    The only reason I choose C is because of Cincinnati
    C is for Cookie. That's good enough for me.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Very impressive, but there must have been more than just a 30 on the ACT to earn a full-ride scholarship to Ohio State?
    Yeah, I had a 31 ACT my only time (no studying ), 3.96 GPA, and, well, a VERY low EFC for Financial Aid. While I wouldn't put it as a "full ride", my grants and scholarships paid for a lot of my stuff my freshman year but I still had to get loans for room and board. I'm now entering my second year at tOSU, and now that I'm living off campus, my grants and scholarship cover everything. In state, btw.

As far as the ACT, honestly, the Science portion has nothing to do with science at all, aside from the Scientific Method which is taught in like 4th grade. Other than that, its all chart and graph reading.

Reading/English, just think about what sounds and looks right. 99% of the time your first inclination is right on Reading/English. Those two sections, I would honestly say thinking is a bad thing.

For math, when I took it 3 years ago, there was no calculus, just algebra, geometry, and one or two trig questions. DON'T FORGET YOUR CALCULATOR!

Timing is the key. Don't stress. If you don't know the answer, guess and move on, its no big deal. The key is, EDUCATED guess. Again, gut feeling is right a majority of the time.

Good luck!
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Yeah, I had a 31 ACT my only time (no studying ), 3.96 GPA, and, well, a VERY low EFC for Financial Aid. While I wouldn't put it as a "full ride", my grants and scholarships paid for a lot of my stuff my freshman year but I still had to get loans for room and board. I'm now entering my second year at tOSU, and now that I'm living off campus, my grants and scholarship cover everything. In state, btw.

As far as the ACT, honestly, the Science portion has nothing to do with science at all, aside from the Scientific Method which is taught in like 4th grade. Other than that, its all chart and graph reading.

Reading/English, just think about what sounds and looks right. 99% of the time your first inclination is right on Reading/English. Those two sections, I would honestly say thinking is a bad thing.

For math, when I took it 3 years ago, there was no calculus, just algebra, geometry, and one or two trig questions. DON'T FORGET YOUR CALCULATOR!

Timing is the key. Don't stress. If you don't know the answer, guess and move on, its no big deal. The key is, EDUCATED guess. Again, gut feeling is right a majority of the time.

Good luck!
    Thanks for getting back to me eight months later haha! But seriously, glad to hear it worked out so well for you at tOSU.

I got a 31 too and was top 3% of my graduating class (NO BIG DEAL) and Ohio State offered me very little financial aid considering I was out-of-state. I think it would have made up about half the gap between in-state and out-of-state, which simply wasn't worth it. Of course Miami didn't offer me much more than that but I was only really considering Ohio State if they blew me away with aid offers.

That's all excellent advice, by the way. I can't really think of anything to add other than the ol' cliche of "if you don't know the answer skip it" because I didn't completely finish the math section. I was too stubborn to move on and it cost me!

edit: oh yeah, and it wasn't because my parents make too much money... trust me!

Bumping it up one more time. T- 24 hours and counting.

You started drinking yet? That was the key to my high score.

You started drinking yet? That was the key to my high score.
    Dude, I'm 14.

Turn Off Ads?