Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Both teams are pretty young at some critical positions and there were three new coordinators. Not a shocker that there were some mistakes in the first game.

But there was great intensity, it was hard hitting and a drama filled game played in a great atmosphere between two teams in a burgeoning rivalry. I have no idea how that's a game to complain about as a season opener.

Concerning the helmet rule, presumably it's to allow the student athlete to be checked out on the sideline. Again, pretty hard to criticize a rule that protects the noggin of a young athlete.
    but what will stop defenses from ripping the helmet off on purpose to stop hurry up offensives ? Chip Kelly said it basically will stop teams from having to use a timeout. He suggested that both the offensive and defensive player should take a play off with the clock still running.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

2. Turn Off Ads?

UK is soooo bad. I think this is the worst defense I've ever seen at UK, which is really saying something.

I can't decide if Strong took his foot off the gas because Joker is his friend or he wants to do everything he can to help Joker keep his job (and continue kicking his ass).

I heard that Strong is #1 on UF's wish list if/when they end up firing Muschamp.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    but what will stop defenses from ripping the helmet off on purpose to stop hurry up offensives ? Chip Kelly said it basically will stop teams from having to use a timeout. He suggested that both the offensive and defensive player should take a play off with the clock still running.
    A 15 yard penalty.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post

I heard that Strong is #1 on UF's wish list if/when they end up firing Muschamp.
    Does he order his OC to run repeatedly into 8 man fronts to prove his team is tough?

Florida is going to be putrid this year, I'm thinking their only SEC win will be Kentucky, and I'm not even sure about that, they have talent but I think most of the team has already tuned the coach out, sure hope I'm wrong.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Good on UF. Maybe the Cards will take Petrino back instead of letting UK get him.

Week 2 of Sec Guesses:

Texas AM vs Florida - Texas & AM gets there 1st SEC win !

Georgia State at Tennessee- Go Vols !

East Carolina at South Carolina- Gamecocks win

Western Kentucky at Alabama- Sad that Alabama couldn't find anyone to buyout this game.

UTEP at Ole Miss- Another snoozefest.

Washington at LSU- Over by halftime in favor of LSU

Louisiana-Monroe at Arkansas- Petrino who ?

Kent State at Kentucky- I will watch hoping Kent State returns a punt the wrong way again.

Georgia at Missouri- Welcome Mizzou !!!!! Seriously if the score isn't 54-48 I will be sad.....

Vanderbilt at Northwestern- Odd this game will be covered on the Big 10 network at night.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

So, here is the question.... Is Alabama that good, or is this another case where Michigan would have been beaten by Appalachian State and were incredibly overranked?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So, here is the question.... Is Alabama that good, or is this another case where Michigan would have been beaten by Appalachian State and were incredibly overranked?
    Alabama is good but Michigan and the rest of the big ten isn't as good as their press.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Michigan was over-ranked just like Notre Dame was a few years ago. They were ranked that highly because of the logo on the side of the helmet. A highly ranked Michigan team makes for better viewership for the game vs Alabama. They'll be a good team this year but there is no reason they should have EVER been near the top 15 at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Alabama is good but Michigan and the rest of the big ten isn't as good as their press.
    My take:

First of all, Saban's teams are virtually unbeatable if he has over a week to prepare.

Secondly, Alabama is that good, and are even more dynamic on offense with the addition of Nussmeier as OC, not that the previous OC was a slouch.

But don't kid yourself, SEC fans, the absence of Toussaint, who is a "home run" threat in his own right, hurt the Wolves more than you think because it allowed the Tide to crowd the line of scrimmage and they only had to focus on Robinson beating them with his legs and double teaming Roundtree--the only major receiving threat. IMHO, Toussaint alone may well have kept this game from becoming a blowout. I say "may well" due to the following major gaffe by the Michigan brass:

For Michigan to have a chance to win this game, aside from winning the turnover battle, they had to exploit the "weakness" of the Bama defense--the secondary.
    And in order for that to occur, Robinson had to be accurate from the pocket--something he's really never been adept at doing. This, IMHO, is where the Michigan coaches dropped the ball. If you wish to run a Pro-style system, fine. But why not utilize a "moving pocket," which would have rolled Robinson out and most certainly would have placed him in a position to either make plays with his feet, or spot an open receiver without the presence of three Tide defenders in his face. All of which is baffling to me because Michigan OC Al Borges utilized such a system that made Cade McNown at UCLA a major thorn in the side to defenses back in the day.

The way that the Wolves utilized Robinson against the Tide is a perfect example of a pet peeve of mine--cramming a "system" down a QB's throat, instead of modifying the system to take advantage of a QB's strengths. Then again, the strategy of "moving the pocket" has virtually disappeared from the college landscape. And, as much as I trash the NFL for predictable offenses, "moving the pocket' is still a strategy that NFL coaches continue to utilize, albeit not as often as they used to.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

So were Alabama fans in the doldrums this week since an ACC team beat Auburn?

jojo, are you an Auburn fan or just an SEC football fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    So were Alabama fans in the doldrums this week since an ACC team beat Auburn?
    "The Barn will be lucky to win 5!" That's what I heard a lot of.

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    jojo, are you an Auburn fan or just an SEC football fan?
    I love the SEC game day experience but the SEC exists mostly to give the proper context to Auburn as one of the premier football programs in NCAA history.

NL Central champs

There really isn't a place to post this, but Lane Kiffin is a former SEC coach.

http://www.theschoolphilly.com/today...sed-from-jail/

When Vehikite was arrested in March, Kiffin removed him from all team activities and said he was no longer with the program. Vehikite’s accident occurred in July 2011, but it took nearly a year before he was arrested. Vehikite’s return took on added significance because walk-on Will Andrew didn’t have his scholarship renewed this week. Kiffin said he doesn’t go out of his way to inform walk-ons when their scholarship is not renewed. “They’re never granted longer (than a year),” Kiffin said. “He was fortunate to have one for a year.”
    Pretty classless move to pull the kid's scholarship for a guy that was just released from jail.

Turn Off Ads?