Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013-2014 Dayton Flyers

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

2013-2014 Dayton Flyers

Will be at UD Arena tomorrow to catch the Flyers take on Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne.

That's right, all three of them.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

2. Likes:

BillDoran (11-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2013-2014 Dayton Flyers

Mastodons!
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

5. Likes:

BillDoran (11-09-2013)

Ugh.

For those who haven't seen it yet...

Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

8. Likes:

Falcon7 (11-24-2013)

Big win against former Flyer coach Brian Gregory, in Atlanta to boot.

Pierre wasn't much of a factor with early foul trouble, they hoisted a ton of 3s (not particularly effectively) and got out rebounded, but won going away.

Hard to get a good read on the team thus far. Pierre, Sibert and Sanford look like difference makers in the A10. Oliver has been a spectacular jack-of-all-trades.

Gonzaga up next. Should get a better understanding where they stand playing Few's Dogs.

How did Gregory get that job at Georgia Tech? He was awful at Dayton, so it stood to reason that he'd be awful at Georgia Tech, too. I could have saved them a lot of money and four or five years of pain if they'd just asked.

11. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (11-21-2013)

Though I grew up in a UK family, spent most of my childhood in Lexington, and attended UK, I'll always have a soft spot for UD. When my dad's military career ended in 1965, he took a job with Frigidaire and we moved from Fort Hood, TX to Middletown, OH for a year, and then to Germantown, OH for a few years. As a sports loving family we watched basketball games on TV when available (I'm thinking it was Channels 19 & 5 back in those days?), but my first live games were at UD Arena. I'll never forget walking through the doors the first time and looking down at that giant arena. It was one of those moments that feel like yesterday, even though I'm 50 now. I don't remember any other details, but I do remember names like Don May (the first year I got to go) and Donald Smith (the last year we lived in that area and attended UD games). If I live to be 100 years old, I'll still have a soft spot for UD basketball and Don Donoher. My dream national championship game every year is UK vs UD. Go Cats! and Go Flyers!

13. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (11-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    How did Gregory get that job at Georgia Tech? He was awful at Dayton, so it stood to reason that he'd be awful at Georgia Tech, too. I could have saved them a lot of money and four or five years of pain if they'd just asked.
    Gregory wasn't awful; certainly not as successful as UD fans would have liked, but he wasn't awful.

At the time, GTech was going to owe a lot of money to Paul Hewitt, heck they may still be paying him to not coach there, so they couldn't go with the big national names you see turn up every offseason. If things hadn't soured so much towards the end of BG's tenure, I'm not convinced that BG would have left. However, both sides needed a fresh start, BG needed a new place to sell his poor offense, solid defense, hard rebounding style, UD needed someone who wasn't stagnanting.

With all that said, BG was a great amasador for UD. He was highly active in the community, ran a clean program, kids graduated, 3 of his players have now played in the NBA w/ a 4th (searcy) that was an end of camp cut w/ the 76ers last season (don't know what he's doing now) so the level of player rose a bit since Purnell resurected the program from the Jim OBrien's ashes.

Tech was dealing with their own issues when the fired Hewitt, seems like they had player issues, team wasn't working hard, etc... From what I read heading into the game, seems like most fans are happy w/ the direction the team is taking. I doubt BG takes them to the top of the ACC, his prodical is middle of the road finishes in conference and decent OOC play. probably good enough to get him a few more seasons at Tech, but if they stagnant like his UD teams did, he'll be looking for work somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Awful? Seriously?

2 NCAA Tournaments in 8 years is awful, yes. Particularly since he was actually a pretty good recruiter. The "highlight" of his time there was winning the tallest midget contest in his seventh year. (OK, the real highlight was knocking the stuffing out of Huggins' team in the NCAA Tournament, which was beautiful, but the NIT was #2).

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Awful? Seriously?
    Just a Xavier fan getting a jab in. Like medford said, nobody who was paying attention would call his time at UD "awful". Disappointing, sure.

VCU getting embarrassed in their own building.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    VCU getting embarrassed in their own building.
    VCU is playing in San Juan.

VCU getting embarrassed in San Juan.

Stat geek...and proud

After looking turrible in the first half, the Flyers are up 4 on Gonzaga with 8 minutes left after opening up the second half with a 10-2 run to get back in it, because it was looking quite grim for a bit.

Turn Off Ads?