Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Soundgarden is Reuniting!!!

Soundgarden is Reuniting!!!

In case there are any SG fans on RZ:

Soundgarden fans woke up to incredible news this New Year’s morning: the band, which split in 1997, is officially reuniting. Frontman Chris Cornell confirmed the reconciliation via Twitter, writing, “The 12 year break is over & school is back in session. Sign up now. Knights of the Soundtable ride again!” and linking to a new Website, Soundgarden World. As of now, the site only offers fans a place to provide their contact information for updates on the reunion.

Beyond the Upside: Look back at a decade of Soundgarden photos.

Cornell and other members of Soundgarden spent most of 2009 hinting that the long-awaited reformation was on the way. In March, all of the band but Cornell rocked together onstage during a Seattle stop on Tom Morello’s Justice Tour. As Rolling Stone reported, Kim Thayil, Ben Shepherd and Matt Cameron were joined by Tad’s Tad Doyle for a run-through of “Nothing to Say,” “Spoonman” and “Hunted Down.” The following month, Cornell told a reporter, “If I was there, I probably would’ve gotten up onstage.” As for reunion prospects, he added, “You never know.” Thayil revealed the genesis of that special set in an exclusive Rolling Stone interview, where he said, “It was a blast. Playing with Ben and Matt carried a lot of sentimental weight.”

In July, Cornell revealed to RS that the band was talking about putting together a release of Soundgarden B sides and a box set of unreleased songs. “We all feel it’s time to do that, and we have a lot of fans out there, and we have a lot of new fans discovering our music, and I think the catalog and the legacy of the band has been ignored by the record label and previous management, so we decided to get together, and start working towards putting something like that out,” he said.

And in October, Cornell was clearly in the Seattle-legends-of-the-’90s spirit when he participated in a Temple of the Dog reunion at Pearl Jam’s Los Angeles gig. He joined the band for a rendition of their 1991 hit “Hunger Strike,” and RS learned Thayil and Shepherd were in the house to check out Cornell back onstage with drummer Cameron. As of now, it’s unclear how Cameron’s duties in Pearl Jam will be affected by the Soundgarden news.

Check out photos from grunge’s early days.

In his July ‘09 RS chat, Thayil said a reunion would happen if there was a real demand: “People would have to want to.” He added, “We all play enough and are acquainted with the material enough that I think it would take a few rehearsals. When Ben, Matt, and I got together with Tad, it was like falling off our bike and getting back on.”

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...chris-cornell/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Soundgarden is Reuniting!!!

Pretty cool.

I like Soundgarden and all, but the most exciting news about this for me is the fact that Audioslave won't be promoting new material for a while. But if this results in Pearl Jam going on hiatus, I'm going to hit somebody.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I like Soundgarden and all, but the most exciting news about this for me is the fact that Audioslave won't be promoting new material for a while. But if this results in Pearl Jam going on hiatus, I'm going to hit somebody.
    Audioslave broke up in February 2007.

I would love to see Soundgarden live, but recent live footage I've seen seems to indicate that Cornell's voice is shot. I hope I'm wrong.

You wired me awake and hit me with a hand of broken nails.

I hope this news means the end of this abomination:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui2qxnZ68M4
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Man, I wish I hadn't watched the first 59 seconds of that video. Why did I HAVE to watch that?!?

edit: By the way, thanks Johnny Footstool.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 01-05-2010 at 09:55 AM.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Agree 100%. I enjoy Soundgarden, but PJ is twice the band. Their latest album is bananas good. (That's really good.)

Saw this yesterday sometime as well. Totally stoked by this actually.

I stopped listening to PJ several albums ago, so I don't mind if they go on hiatus as a result, but with the revolving door they had at drummer for a time I wouldn't be surprised if they just plug Jack Irons or someone back in and keep trucking along.

I don't know if Soundgarden can be THAT Soundgarden again. I mean I loved Cornell, and I really like RatM, but when you mixed those two together they produced some really generic, boring music. I hope there is still that massive sound that Soundgarden put together back in the 80's and even early 90's. I'm talking Big Dumb Sex, or the whole Badmotorfinger album type stuff. If they come back and give us another Black Hole Sun I'll be sad.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Chris Cornell in my opinion is one of the greatest singers of all time. Not just rock and roll or alternative type music, I mean just great singer period. Check out the live Audioslave DVD Live from Cuba. Great material and concert. His solo career has been awfully received unfortunately (but not awful quality), good move for him since Audioslave didn't work out.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    Chris Cornell in my opinion is one of the greatest singers of all time. Not just rock and roll or alternative type music, I mean just great singer period. Check out the live Audioslave DVD Live from Cuba. Great material and concert. His solo career has been awfully received unfortunately (but not awful quality), good move for him since Audioslave didn't work out.
    Oh, yeah. The guy absolutely has an "of all time" voice. It was disgusting for him to waste it on that Timbaland-produced dreck.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Chris Cornell must be hurting for money

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Chris Cornell must be hurting for money
    Nah, the rest of the band might be and he's doing them a favor.
    Go Gators!

For a Level Playing Field

"Outshined" and "Rusty Cage"... early songs by Soundgarden and my two favs. I liked them less-n-less as they released more albums. Never thought Kim Thayil was worthy as a guitarist to be playing with the other members of the band. Saw them in concert at Dayton's Hara Arena back in the early-mid 1990's and still have the SuperUnknown concert t-shirt.

I really dug Audioslave and was bummed when Chris Cornell decided to leave. I really thought Tom Morello and Cornell, as songwriters and musicians, were a great team.

Oh well... drop that low E-string to D and rock on, boys.

Turn Off Ads?